x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Programming on HP Jornada 720

dekanyzs Page Icon Posted 2023-03-20 6:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,
I've just received my Jornada 720 in good condition with it's original accesories. I'd like to try to learn how to program simple apps but I'm not really sure if there is a good interpreter or IDE for this machine or not. The Psions have the built in OPL, which is great. Is there a solution under HPC 2000 for on board developing? I'm not a programmer so any advices will be appreciated.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-20 9:56 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I don’t have any personal experience doing on device programming but their SCL (Software Compatibility List) here has some listed that you could go through and peruse
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/categories.asp?catID=45
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2023-03-20 7:37 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Theres a Java IDE runs java 1.1 I think but it works great on the 720

its in the downloads PersonalJava Environment for Windows CE 1.1 Beta 1

you only need the IDE as the 720 has chaivm on it which is java client - there are loads of free Java programming starter videos and guides online

Huw
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-20 8:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Also, there's another one for programming in the SCL if you're ever interested in coding for multimedia focused applications - and it's frequently updated (new release last week)
I haven't tried it, but they focus on testing for Jornada 720 amongst other platforms.

https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/2101/Alexander_Zolotov/Pixilang/version_3.8.3b

But, I think fantablium's suggestions are likely more what you're looking for. I was simply suggesting a more obscure use case if you were looking for that.
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2023-03-21 8:36 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I hadn't spotted that one @torch looks like an interesting framework might have to have a play!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-03-21 11:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

A valid question here might be to ask you what type of things you might be interested in coding? Do you have a project in mind, are you looking to learn coding with some future goal in mind?

Is there a reason why you specifically are only interested in on device programming (most CE development is done off device)?
 Top of the page
dekanyzs Page Icon Posted 2023-03-21 7:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

@fantablium
I'm very pleased to read your reply because I'm a huge fan of your YouTube channel, Huw.
Well, I'd like some "on the road" coding experience like OPL on Psion handhelds. (probably I'll buy a 5mx as well soon )
I've found "Dialect pro", it's already on my device, I should only learn about the syntax because I don't know how to create a variable etc.
 Top of the page
dekanyzs Page Icon Posted 2023-03-21 7:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'd like to have the same experience like the built in OPL interpreter gives for Psion users. I menan to be able to program a little applet on the train for ex.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-03-22 9:51 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

PocketC is probably the most robust on-device language and is slightly more up to date than using Java 1.1 - which requires the use of the Swing API for UI programming.
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2023-03-29 8:09 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Glad you like the channel!

I wonder if the Psion 3/a/c DOS emulator would run on the J720 in Pocket DOS or similar....

You could then use OPL....

Edited by fantablium 2023-03-29 8:09 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.164 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9