x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Article Link: Linux on the HP Jornada 720

Mobi Page Icon Posted 2023-06-16 2:27 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I thought people here might be interested in this blog post:

My 24 year old HP Jornada can do things your modern iPhone still can't do!

https://raymii.org/s/blog/My_24_year_old_HP_Jornada_can_do_things_your_modern_iPhone_still_cant_do.html
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-06-16 3:09 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
That's good piece, thanks for linking. I gave up on jlime mostly because its Abiword version couldn't be upgraded to 2.8 at least, which meant the icon panel was hardcoded and took up a ridiculous amount of space. Even the blogger's Abiword screenshot shows the lack of writing area. For a while, I went to Opie; Opie could run the Zaurus version of TextMaker, but this time, the panel was hardcoded into tiny, unreadable icons. And it was glacial if you were writing any more than a page. HanCom could run in Opie but Hancom was pretty basic.

I always admired what Linux could do on the J, and very much admired the work of hpcfactor's Linux users, but for pure writing/instant-on, WinCE always trumped for me. The blogger's premise that Jlime/J720 setup can do a lot of impressive things is sound, and I admire that, too.

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-06-16 5:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Thanks, great link/article.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10