x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Trouble getting executable from host installer

I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-06-30 2:34 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

I'm trying to get the on-device executable from a host installer, but instead of a cab being easily accessible as a resource inside the host installer .exe, it doesn't seem to be accessible at all. Sadly my device isn't compatible with ActiveSync.

Does anyone know how I could get the executable from the installer? Perhaps somebody here has a MIPS device with ActiveSync
 Top of the page
WinCEDev Page Icon Posted 2023-07-01 1:30 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Here you go.

To retrieve it, I used a VM running Windows 2000 with ActiveSync (the Windows version isn't really important, as long as ActiveSync is installed). I ran the setup and got to the screen where it tells me it will download the applications to the device the next time it is connected.

I then went to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\" and found the "Telnetd" folder with the .cab file inside.

Edited by WinCEDev 2023-07-01 1:34 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments telnetd.mips.cab (38KB - 5 downloads)
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2023-07-01 2:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I really need to come up with a workflow to automate this process in a VM, basically push in a load of exes, and extract the cabs that way.
Often it's enough to simply open setup.exe as an archive or - if it's an InstallShield installer - use a tool called unshield to extract the data directly, but with installers like this one that doesn't work.
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-07-01 2:53 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Thank you very much!

The issue I'm facing now is that the telnet server requires a reboot to work, which isn't an option for me since my device doesn't have persistent memory sadly. Does anyone happen to know how the telnet server is started? I'll have to do that manually It's just the default telnetd server from PB
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-07-01 3:23 PM
#
H/PC Elite

It appears to be initially loaded as a driver under HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\Telnetd with telnetd.dll and the entrypoint TelnetDInitialize. Is there a way to load a driver after boot?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-07-02 10:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Do we have this in the SCL? I can't find it? Can you please post the source URL if not?

Thanks
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-07-02 12:44 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-07-02 3:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Oh I see, but it is built for the PPC, does that mean it's wired for AYGShell and needs stubbing? Did you get it working?
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-07-02 3:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I can't execute it since it installs telnetd as a driver, and my system doesn't have persistent storage, so I don't have the option of rebooting
Do you know how else I could register it? It's seemingly not a system service or a DLL that can be registered

The only imports that telnetd.dll makes are coredll.dll and winsock.dll

Edited by I dunk for bananas 2023-07-02 3:48 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-07-02 5:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

For CE core, unless they added ps.exe to it, I cannot think of a way other than to see if you can hack RAPI Debug from Windows Mobile Developer Power Toys onto your device, that may give you start control... however the problem may be greater than this because desktop Windows requires the reboot to register the service in the first place. It won't even appear as a service until after a restart.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 11