x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Later SuperH CE devices?

1 2
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-07-15 11:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I didn't know anyone tried CE .net on an SH3 processor. I recall some programs having CE .net versions for SH4, anticipating the possibility of introducing CE .net to that processor, though it never happened. We saw MIPS architecture reintroduced in CE 5, but I guess Hitachi had given up by that time.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-07-16 2:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think that’s gotta be a typo. The CE SDK doesn’t even compile for SH3 past 2.11. But SH4 existed until I think CE 5 or 6

I realize platform builder is different than the sdks though

Edited by torch 2023-07-16 2:28 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-07-17 4:05 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I dunk for bananas - 2023-07-14 8:40 AM

Yeah, though I still have no idea how to implement this if I don't know how to make a bootable .CDI rom image from the generated nk.bin
It's just basic CE 2 without a lot of the system files that are needed to draw the default CE GUI, but those could easily be recreated with Platform builder

Forgive me, but have you seen this?
https://github.com/lopsided98/nk-bin
Generate WinCE boot images to run custom code

nk_bin.py provides a way of running custom code on devices with an unmodifiable bootloader designed to load Windows CE. It generates an NK.bin file that contains a user specified binary where the bootloader would expect to find the WinCE kernel.

This tool was designed to be used with an Omnitech car GPS (model 16878-US), to allow U-Boot to be loaded. The GPS has a bootloader on a flash chip, which was not easily writable through any debug interface. This bootloader then loads NK.bin from a FAT partition on the SD card. See my blog for more information about this device.

The tool currently hardcodes the addresses used on my device, but they could easily be modified or exposed as command line arguments.

patch_nk_bin.py replaces the WinCE kernel with the specified code within an existing NK.bin file. This was used for initial testing, when I wasn't sure if I could successfully generate a valid NK.bin file from scratch. I had very little debugging output from the device, so I wanted to eliminate as many possibilities for things to go wrong as I could.
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-07-17 6:06 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

torch - 2023-07-17 4:05 AM

I dunk for bananas - 2023-07-14 8:40 AM

Yeah, though I still have no idea how to implement this if I don't know how to make a bootable .CDI rom image from the generated nk.bin
It's just basic CE 2 without a lot of the system files that are needed to draw the default CE GUI, but those could easily be recreated with Platform builder

Forgive me, but have you seen this?
https://github.com/lopsided98/nk-bin
Generate WinCE boot images to run custom code

nk_bin.py provides a way of running custom code on devices with an unmodifiable bootloader designed to load Windows CE. It generates an NK.bin file that contains a user specified binary where the bootloader would expect to find the WinCE kernel.

This tool was designed to be used with an Omnitech car GPS (model 16878-US), to allow U-Boot to be loaded. The GPS has a bootloader on a flash chip, which was not easily writable through any debug interface. This bootloader then loads NK.bin from a FAT partition on the SD card. See my blog for more information about this device.

The tool currently hardcodes the addresses used on my device, but they could easily be modified or exposed as command line arguments.

patch_nk_bin.py replaces the WinCE kernel with the specified code within an existing NK.bin file. This was used for initial testing, when I wasn't sure if I could successfully generate a valid NK.bin file from scratch. I had very little debugging output from the device, so I wanted to eliminate as many possibilities for things to go wrong as I could.

Generating the nk.bin is the easy part, but I have no idea where to go from there
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-07-21 4:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think SH4 for versions later than 3.0 is relegated to BSPs, not an actual bonafide device like you and I see in HPC:Factor

For example, there's evidence I found that this board someone was working with for Windows CE
https://www.emtrion.de/en/products/hicosh4-core.html
CPU Module with Renesas SH7750 (SH4)
HiCO.SH4-core

This product is still available for project customers but it is not recommended for new developments! There is no further development for this product. We would be pleased to continue assisting you in maintaining the software.

Description of the module:

SuperH SH4 Processor with 240 MHz (SH7750R) or 200 MHz (SH7750)
On-board memory: 16 MB Flash and 64 MB RAM
USB, Audio-Codec and serial ports
Graphics controller
Touch
Ethernet interface
Fine-Pitch connectors that can be mounted onto any base board
Board size 81 mm x 90 mm

Operating systems for HiCO.SH4:

Windows CE
Linux

Edited by torch 2023-07-21 4:41 AM
 Top of the page