x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Alternative to Outlook on the PC?

shumacher Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 3:10 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm looking for a Windows application that can be used instead of Outlook to sync todo, tasks, addresses, and appointments. I've not had much luck searching for something like this.

Any suggestions?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 6:53 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

To do something like this you will need a compatible version of Intellisync. ActiveSync only supports Outlook.

That gives you access to
  • Microsoft Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003

• Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0/6.0

• Lotus Notes 4.5/4.6/5.0/6.0/6.5/6.5.1

• Novell GroupWise 6.5

• ACT! 4.02/2000/5.0/6.0

• Lotus Organizer 5.0/6.0

• Palm Desktop 4.01/4.1

Be sure that it's compatible with your CE version and desktop Windows version, you may need to request an older version.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 3:35 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-08-13 3:53 AM

To do something like this you will need a compatible version of Intellisync. ActiveSync only supports Outlook.

Ermmm, no. Actually any application can sync to the PocketOutlook database on your CE device thru ActiveSync. The question is which app supports it.

I personally use Microsoft Works 7.0. It syncs its own Calendar app and the Windows Address Book with my old Jornada just fine.* However it doesn't do any other syncs; no email, todo, or task. It supports CE 2 and above; ARM, MIPS and SH3/4; ActiveSync 3 and above.

* The Calendar sync also works for my Smartbook with CE Agenda. I am quite sure the contacts sync just as well, altho I haven't installed any contact apps on the Smartbook to check that.

Edited by takwu 2005-08-13 3:37 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 4:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes Takwu, but that is a revolving argument as Works is designed to sync with CE through ActiveSync using the same Jet database as Outlook, where as other commercial alternatives, and open source ones are not.

Intellisync is a sync gateway to fill the void.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 3:13 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Are you saying the Works Calendar and the Windows Address Book are all the same database technology as Outlook? I never thought of that... Also there are some other 3rd party apps to sync the Windows Address Book with CE, thru ActiveSync. I think it's listed at Attitude.

Anyway I think the reason why there are so few "alternatives" is because Outlook is included with all PPCs, Smartphones and HPC2000s (don't know about older CE devices tho...). Anything less feature-rich would not sell against the practically-free Outlook. And anything more advanced would probably be expensive
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 8:27 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yea. They both use Jet to operate, using different front ends. The Windows Address Book (WAB) is integrated into the Outlook databases when you install it, so I isn't implausible that works has a similar system.

Third party sync apps are of course available, Pocket On Schedule, Phatware's hpcNotes for example both provide PIM sync services through ActiveSync, so does Intellisync - it's just a gateway, you still need AS installed to act as the conduit between the Intellisync bridge and the H/PC databases.

I agree with you on why there are little in the way of other groupware alternatives, ACT and Notes being the nearest competitor.
Older devices shipped with Exchange Mail/Schedule+ 7
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 12