x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

PC-3000 and CF card

neufena Page Icon Posted 2023-07-26 2:08 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I picked up a Sharp PC-3000 yesterday. It's in pretty bad shape but it does work.

I used an SRAM pcmcia card to get Sundrv on there but sadly none of my CF cards seem to work with it. I've ordered some more that hopefully will work and in the meantime I'll take it apart for a good clean.

I have read about cards not formatting (or even writing) from a PC-3000 but being usable read only if formatted in another machine. I've tried various formats but nothing works so far. I don't suppose anyone has an image of a working CF card I could dd onto my cards Linux do they?

If anyone has tips to try to repair the screen let me know. I suspect it's beyond repair tho.

Couldn't get the images to work but you can see them here:
https://ibb.co/C0SnfPV
https://ibb.co/ThfvNQs

Edited by neufena 2023-07-26 2:08 PM
 Top of the page Quote Reply
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-07-26 3:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I got a card to work in my PC-3100, but I had to try different cards to do it.

Assume your battery in card is good.....

Been several months since I last did this.

I splurged and bought the card reader that works with SRAM cards. Formatted it on my laptop with card in the reader (connected via USB) and then put card in my PC-3100.

As for your screen, I don't think you can fix it. But maybe others have an idea for doing that.

Meanwhile, I didn't use PC-3100 for several months and when I tried to use it recently, the display does not come on.

I do recall that I changed AA batteries a few months ago. At the time, it was really hard to get the last battery to slide down to where the access opening is located. So, gave the end of the C-3100 a goo hard sharp tap with palm of my hand to get battery to go to opening.

After that the PC-3100 worked OK and used it a little bit. Then didn't for a few months.

Now I wonder if it's possible that the taps on it maybe jostled a connection inside loose?

Other than that idea, I can't understand why it does not turn on properly.

Like you I thought of opening up the device to check it.

I printed out both the service manual and operating manual. So, have the disassembly info.

However, when I tried to remove the tiny little Philips head screws on bottom casing, I could not get them loosened. I didn't want to try too hard as I don't want to strip out the screw heads.

Neufena, if you haven't downloaded the two manuals you should, lots of great info. Easy to find them online.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like it would help neufena and me.

Would really like to get it working again, as mine is in like new condition otherwise, and it's a fun device to use.

Best,

Mark

Edited by ArchiMark 2023-07-26 3:34 PM
neufena Page Icon Posted 2023-07-26 3:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks Mark,

I've read everything I can on the PC-3000 while i waited for it to be delivered, I've got the service manual so disassembly shouldn't be too tricky.

My SRAM card has a new battery and works fine, I used that to get sundrv on the D: drive, along with the patch to allow it to work with any brand card, not just Sundisk. It's just the CF cards I can't get to work. I suspect that the ones I have so far are just not compatible, fingers crossed 1 of the 4 I've just ordered work for me! If/when I get a working card I'll image it with Linux and see if the other cards will work read only.

John
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-07-26 4:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

You're welcome, John.....and sorry for misreading your post...

As for CF cards, there are some that work....I'm working from home today and left PC-3100 and CF cards there. but as I recall, I think I got a Transcend 1GB card working, but it might be some old Sandisks....called SunDisk back then....but will have to check tomorrow when I'm back at office......

Will be interested to know if you can get the little Philips screws out OK.....and if you can get CF cards working, etc.

Best,

Mark

Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.157 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 10