x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

networking/packet drivers on pocket DOS?

thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-08-01 4:05 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Does anyone know if it's possible to set up networking/packet drivers on pocket DOS? Based on the lack of info on it in the pocket DOS faq/tutorials/settings I'm guessing the answer is no, but interested if anyone knows for sure.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-08-01 4:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I do not believe that it has direct access to the PCMCIA slot hardware, so you won't be able to load card services and thus any NIC driver.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-08-01 5:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Ah. To clarify, I was thinking more like access to the Windows CE networking system with some sort of virtual hardware rather than physical card access on the device (the way it emulates sound and other items).
 Top of the page
PocketDOS Page Icon Posted 2023-08-02 2:03 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

It requires software called NDIS3CE. That software has an extension DLL and DOS device driver (for PocketDOS) that allows DOS TCP stacks (eg. Datalight Sockets) to be used.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-08-02 11:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Great news that it's possible! Do you happen to know where I could obtain the dll?
 Top of the page
PocketDOS Page Icon Posted 2023-08-09 1:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm quoting your email as the discussion has broader value here:

>
>Unfortunately, I have scoured the internet for the DLL you mentioned and can’t seem to find it anywhere. Also, sadly, it appears the author of the DLL died in 2012 (Obit: https://memorials.blakefuneralhome.com/daniel-lanciani/1144666/obituary.php) and his heirs have discontinued his website etc.
>
>I was wondering if you had any suggestions for how to proceed or if you knew of an alternative?
>

He offered a trial version that transmitted a limited number of packets, so even if you found that online somewhere it would probably be the trial. I'll have a look through what I have and see if I can find whatever he sent me in 2003 when we worked on this. I don't think he ever sent me a full version so I don't know if it would be of much value.

Are you looking for the entire NDIS3CE package or just the PocketDOS portions? Also, he only ever built it for ARM processors, so if you don't have one of those you're SOL.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-08-09 3:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Thank you!

Torch did manage to locate the trial version and it is limited to a few packets as you mentioned and also seems to have some other issues (it seems to block loading of actual networking drivers in Windows CE! but I didn't play with it too much). I am using PocketDOS on ARM devices (jornada 720 & MP 900c, hopefully soon also sig3) so that limitation is OK. The primary motivation here is to get some kind of access to telnet BBS's through PocketDOS on a device without serial access (e.g. MP900 without serial cable, Sig3 which doesn't have serial port).

I'm not sure but I think I need NDIS3CE & the PocketDOS portions. Whatever you do have would be helpful I think.
 Top of the page
PocketDOS Page Icon Posted 2023-09-19 4:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have sent you the files I have. I don't know whether they are trial or full versions. They need to be used in conjunction with a DOS TCP package. The only one I have ever tried is Datalight Sockets. I can't offer any support on this.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-09-19 7:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Thanks, I appreciate you doing that. They were trial versions with pretty limited functionality, but they also don't seem to work very well sadly. I've added "Windows CE NDIS driver for PocketDOS" to my looooong list of projects I want to do
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9