x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows SBS2003, Dynamic DNS & ISP website

Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 7:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, I'm in the middle of setting up SBS and I need to use Dynamic DNS to allow remote access/administration. I use Namesco Ltd for email and webhosting and need to keep my domain name with them. How do I setup my server ready for remote access? .local the recomended setting I understand can't be used because it's not legal on the net. Can I use the same .com as my website with ajustments to the DNS records pointing web and mail to my Namesco account and remote access to my server or do I need to register another domain name for my server?

It would be useful if I could access my website via .com and server via server.xxxxxxxx.com
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 8:53 AM
#
H/PC Elite

SBS, Small Business Server?

You will need to setup a default document, on your server, something for your server to use. Then sort out your Internet, is Port 80 alowed? Then if you have a router then you need to route port 80 to your server.

Once thats all finnished, create an A-Record in your DNS settings. To point to your routers IP address then hey-presto, type in 'server.yourdomain.com' and it will load up the page on your server.

It sounds like your trying to use Active Directory, I woudn't unless you really need to. Its really hard to setup.

Hope I helped, I'm usualy online so add me to one of my IM address's if you like.

Nick
 Top of the page
Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 2:05 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks Nick,

Yes it's Active Directory and ISA server I need to get it right because one of the companies I work with wants a couple of new servers, really nice set up actually, I'm moving them from Novel 5 to SBS 2003 and Server 2003 but I want to remote control them from my home office. The servers will both have hardware cards in them so as long as I can find them on the net I should be able to do everything!

I'd forgoten about the A records thing but yes I have that at Namesco. When I creat my self signed cert. for ISA do I call that server.xxxxxxx.local or sbs2003.xxxxxxxx.local which is the name of the server on the network?

P.S. can you recomend a good cheap or free Dynamic DNS service?

Martyn
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 2:17 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I don't understand Active Directory nor ISA, everytime I install it it mucks everything up C:Amie understands it all.

For Dynamic DNS, try no-ip.com. And for your external 'server grab' I would use a CNAME forwarded to your no-ip.com address.

I'm here if you need more help with the External stuff, but I don't understand the internal part, sorry.

Nick
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 7:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Nick Charlton - 2005-08-13 8:17 PM

I don't understand Active Directory nor ISA, everytime I install it it mucks everything up C:Amie understands it all.

For Dynamic DNS, try no-ip.com. And for your external 'server grab' I would use a CNAME forwarded to your no-ip.com address.

I'm here if you need more help with the External stuff, but I don't understand the internal part, sorry.

Nick

yeah i recommend no-ip, i've been using their service for almost a whole year now and they never failed when i needed dyndns
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 7:16 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I used no-ip.com before I got my 'real' domain. I had nickcharlton.no-ip.com and the .org equivilent, and I think they still work.

I've got Simply (NamesCO) Domains now, sorry to go OT but has any one got NamesCO (Simply) Broadband?

Nick
 Top of the page
Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 3:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Soory Nick can't help you on their broadband though I'm sure their very good I use BT broadband 2mb they just add it to the BT bill that I don't pay
 Top of the page
Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 3:36 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

By the way I'm planning to use DynDNS Cusom DNS as the router that their using has the client built in to the firmware! I use a router so that the Reps with their latops can wirelessly connect to the internet without affecting the server or if they need to log in they can act as true mobile users just like if they were at Starbucks.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10