x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Is compiling Super Mario 64 for CE possible?

I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-08-08 5:36 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

Since the the entire source code of Super Mario 64 has been dumped and ported to many many systems I've been wondering, would it be possible to make a build for CE, even if just for certain devices?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-08-08 7:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The N64 has a MIPS 4300 in it, at a fairly low 92MHz, so on paper it can run, however the N64 also has a 63MHz GPU chip on it, which there are very few CE devices with a dedicated GPU chip, which would all need to be emulated and rendered on the CPU.

So yes, is the answer, but it isn't a case of import it into VC++ and hit go. Its performance could be extremely poor, even unusable on older H/PC's.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-08-09 12:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

From what I think, I think you need a Nintendo 64 Emulator for this to work? I mean, the software won't run without the implementation of a hardware by an emulator?

If so, I think Handheld PCs are way too slow for it.
I think this is good for porting to Linux based systems or Android systems, for example making a version that has original levels etc.

-stingraze
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-08-09 12:45 PM
#
H/PC Elite

stingraze - 2023-08-09 12:55 AM

From what I think, I think you need a Nintendo 64 Emulator for this to work? I mean, the software won't run without the implementation of a hardware by an emulator?

I think this is good for porting to Linux based systems or Android systems, for example making a version that has original levels etc.

-stingraze

We have all the source code and resources of SM64 available and it's already been compiled natively for a bunch of platforms, so no emulator needed
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-08-09 12:46 PM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2023-08-08 7:58 PM

The N64 has a MIPS 4300 in it, at a fairly low 92MHz, so on paper it can run, however the N64 also has a 63MHz GPU chip on it, which there are very few CE devices with a dedicated GPU chip, which would all need to be emulated and rendered on the CPU.

So yes, is the answer, but it isn't a case of import it into VC++ and hit go. Its performance could be extremely poor, even unusable on older H/PC's.

I understand, that makes sense. I wish I could at least have a go at it, but sadly I have no idea how it could possible be done
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-08-09 5:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

finding an existing 32-bit MIPS N64 emulator and seeing how that compiles in Visual Studio would be the logical starting point
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2023-08-09 7:08 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I don't think it is just a matter of getting the source code and compiling it with whatever C compiler you have. The N64 had a very specific architecture to handle graphics and other things. The game source code takes that into consideration. Our regular HPCs and general computers don't have this specialized hardware, which means that all function calls to those non-existing peripherals would have to be replaced with something equivalent for the native machine, or emulated in some way.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-08-10 1:18 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I dunk for bananas - 2023-08-09 9:45 PM

stingraze - 2023-08-09 12:55 AM

-stingraze

We have all the source code and resources of SM64 available and it's already been compiled natively for a bunch of platforms, so no emulator needed

Oh, interesting. So it just runs without emulator. I searched online and indeed there were a couple of videos about it.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2023-08-10 1:19 AM
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-08-10 2:06 PM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2023-08-09 5:57 PM

finding an existing 32-bit MIPS N64 emulator and seeing how that compiles in Visual Studio would be the logical starting point

There's no emulator needed, it's been natively compiled for a lot of platforms at this point, even for the Nintendo DS where it runs just fine
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8