x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How big of a differences in software library between Jornada 690 (SH3) and Jornada 728 (StrongARM)?

WillowDeaf Page Icon Posted 2023-08-16 6:22 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

I'm starting to think that I've never really realized just quite how big of a differences in the library for both Jornada. Been searching for programs for my 690 and so many just don't work. But there's also so many "made for 720/8" type listing I've seen. I'm just curious and wondering what have been the experiences for those of you who have both the 600's and 700's line of Jornada?

I know that there's a different architecture between both line and I have seen comments remarking that there's more stuff out there for the 700's. Honestly, I had seemingly wrongly assumed that it was just simply a case of newer hardware coming around a little later in the internet's development and having had more stuff saved online. That might still be true but the scale I had been thinking in seems grossly wrong haha. Kinda tempted to look for a 728 sooner rather than later if I can't get a few things set on my 690.

Thanks!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-08-16 6:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Jornada 728 / 720 is the most popular type of Handheld PCs in this forum / site.

There are SH3 programs but I guess a lot of the applications were compiled to run on ARM based H/PC 2000.
When compiling from eMbedded Visual Tools, there is an option to select which architecture you want to release in. I'm sure lots of people compiled for SH3, but nobody ommited for ARM. (well, mostly).

-stingraze
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-08-16 7:36 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

One of the cool things about H/PC 2000 devices is that, with the necessary DLLs, they can run Pocket PC apps. This is a particular advantage with ARM since both Pocket PC 2000 and Pocket PC 2002 were based on CE 3.0, and as we know all Pocket PC 2002 devices were ARM-based.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-08-16 7:43 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There were simply more ARM devices with some variant of CE3 than SH3 + SH4 + MIPS combined for any CE version. Secondly, prior to CE3 if anyone wanted to code for CE, you had to pay MS $thousands: real H/PC hardware + Visual Studio + CE toolkit + Windows NT 4.
Once a free option arrived, it was simply a matter of economics that more could be released and by that point ARM was the direction of travel.
 Top of the page
WillowDeaf Page Icon Posted 2023-08-16 5:37 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Starting to kinda regret having gotten the 690 instead of the 720/8 tbh lol. Gonna have to wait til I have a little extra money (impulse spending was BAD this past month ) then subscribe so I can check out the software library here first to see if it's enough to satisfy my curiosity and need haha. Just seem a lot more convenient to have the newer line of the Jornada tbh
 Top of the page
hassilon Page Icon Posted 2023-08-16 6:03 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

There's plenty to play with even on the relatively obscure SH3 architecture.

Some SH3 stuff for HP360LX (WinCE 2.0, SH3) I have found useful:

Mobipocket 4.8 for reading ebooks. It's free now.
Microsoft Entertainment Pack (Taipei, card games, etc.)
Microsoft PowerToys (more desktop images, MSPaint)
Frotz and ZipCE (interactive fiction interpreters)
punzip
captce (screen capture utility)
HexEditor
Filegram (Transfer files over serial link.)
Pike (icon editor; requires pocketC runtime libs)
Tascal Graphics Viewer (small, even with plugins for jpg, png)
Nethack (old version for SH3 HPCs, not in SCL; I dunno why....)
CFBackup (originally from Cassiopeia A-20; super simple backup to card)
CEOctopus (emulation of old Nintendo Game and Watch game.)
Hum (mp3 player; kind of pointless with one speaker and no heaphone jack)

Some things I can't find for WinCE 2.0 /SH3 :

Small text editor
HTML editor
Console, as in command prompt; no the Japanese thing in SCL doesn't work even with KCTRL.dll present.
Small eBook reader: Peekabook is great but stops working at end of trail period; I've searched high and low for a serial with no joy.

Most of it you can also find in archive.org if you're too poor at the moment to subscribe. But get ready to spend some time digging.
 Top of the page
WillowDeaf Page Icon Posted 2023-08-16 9:53 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

One specific thing I'm hoping to find is a dedicated daily journaling thing. Not want to deal with multiple document files doing it via word and whatnot
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-08-17 6:45 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Top of the page
WillowDeaf Page Icon Posted 2023-08-17 4:26 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

I'm really curious about it. Unfortunately I just got financially extremely tight and haven't subscribed or contributed enough to have access to the SCL yet. Tried downloading it from the Tombo site but it doesn't seem to be working for some reason unfortunately. So I'm kind of stuck here.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-08-18 12:46 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Check this thread, a few of the users found the links still available elsewhere.
Try the ending few posts
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20794&posts=8&start=1
 Top of the page
WillowDeaf Page Icon Posted 2023-08-18 2:40 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Unfortunately I'm getting antivirus warning from the actual downloads? In any case, I ended up freeing a lil extra money so just subscribed. Currently just waiting for it to be processed Just gonna keep it simple and get everything I need from SCL. Looking forward to that!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-08-18 3:50 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I’d recommend either trying Tombo 1.17 or 2.0 beta 4 to start out with.
The rest are mainly versions for archival purposes
Check the comments. Someone made a comment about the main differences between 1.17 and 2.0 beta 4.
I’m sorry for the AV error. It must be a false positive. Either way, the subscription for the SCL is totally worth it, I promise ! Thanks for the support
 Top of the page
ict Page Icon Posted 2023-08-18 8:12 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

HPC2000 ARM devices like the 720 are the pinnacle of the platform and thus receive a lot more attention from hobbyists working on more modern projects but most of the core CE software base supported 2.11 at some point and the catalog here is pretty comprehensive. I actually feel like I miss out on things the other way around going to a 720 from my 690 because I use a few pieces of CE 1.0 software that never got built for ARM devices, but the 720 is also a lot less fragile and generally runs quite a bit faster in some cases...

In general, most of the best software in the SCL should run on just about everything.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11