x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Is it just me?

1 2
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 9:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've noticed there is always a lag time whenever I click on any link on HPC Factor. Whether it be to post a message, or anything, it takes anywhere from 7-15 seconds to display.

Kind of a shame really as this has become in my opinion the very best HPC site in the world.

Rich
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 10:13 AM
#
H/PC Elder

No, its not just you. ok, I was really tempted to say "yes, its just you!" ... hehe ... but no, its not just you. *phew*

Guess the upgrade to the forum in later days should improve on things. In the meantime ... disconnected recordsets!!
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 10:35 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have wondered the same thing myself. I know of no other site that responds so slow. Reminds me of my Commodore 64 days online with 2400 baud Commodore site. I think it was called Prodigy. Before that I remember watching one letter at a time appear on the monitor, 300 baud modem days!

I did not ask about the slow response here because I saw no posts about it. I figured maybe there is a secret handshake I alone did not know about!

---Bruised
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 12:28 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Unlike Snappy! who was going to say it was you, but then retracted.
I'm just going to pretend that it's a phenomenon specific to you and Bruised and be content in the lie

The new forum core is far better optimised, it wont detract from the fact that the server is just plain over loaded... but it will help a little.
I am getting a little fed up with waiting now, so what I will probably do is release it live when I get the my hands on the next fully fledged beta release - rather than a interim dogfood build of various parts of the board.

That way may be we can get some more bugs / seriously implementable feature requests (for that late in the release testing process) listed to fix.

Be aware in advance though
a) It will mean taking the entire site down for an extended period
b) You'll all need to log in again - and I can't help you with passwords aside from an administrative reset
c) You'll be scared afterwards and hide behind the sofa
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 1:09 PM
#
Yes, the site is generally slow for me as well. Not really a forums issue, but good to know there are updates on the way!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 3:19 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Complains! Complains!
How about YOU try digging up all the threads from the database, put them in proper scripting, and send them to the visitor every time he/she clicks on a link - and do it 24/7!

Seriously, I think C:Amie is well aware of the site performance (or lack of) and is doing everything he can to improve it.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 3:22 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I tooo get the delay, i'm so use to it though..I never really thought about mentioning it....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 4:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Frankly there's not a lot of point worrying over it, unless you want to stary paying to be here - in which case I'll improve the server

I do get that it's irritating though, especially when you see time-outs.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 5:55 PM
#
Just let us know what you need C:Amie. Anything I can do to help, I'll see what I can do.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 6:54 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-08-13 10:28 AM

Unlike Snappy! who was going to say it was you, but then retracted.
I'm just going to pretend that it's a phenomenon specific to you and Bruised and be content in the lie

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 6:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's very kind of you thanks.

We're going to be making some changes around the place, and hopefully (may be... Insurgent depending) move the databases to a completly separate server, may be see about getting Server 4 back up again for that.

Once we the turmoil is over we take it from there and see if there is anything we can do to improve the situation performance wise.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 7:25 PM
#
Ooh... you have servers, plural? *drool*

We have a couple Dell 1850's at my office, and I begged my boss to let me install them. Needless to say, I got to set the entire rack up. Oh I'm off topic...

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 7:34 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you have any going spare, I'll glady take them off of your hands
Especially if they're 1850's with 3.2 GHz CPU's and 4GB of RAM
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 8:50 PM
#
Hehe, they are dual Xeon 2.4's I believe, with 1gb DDR2. It's rather sad, one is a file server and the other one sits there rsyncing all day. Both are connected to a 7 disk SCSI array of which we are barely using. We have 5 HD's, all 10,000rpm drives 3 running in RAID and 2 also running in RAID. The internal system drives are 15k rpm... and all we do is process files. Heck, our LTSP (Linux Terminal Server) stuff is actually run on a beige box under those 2 rackmounts... *sigh* If I could give them to you, I would gladly. Such hardware misuse should be a crime!

Oh yeah, there's a gigabit switch, KVM, pull out 15" LCD tray, sidepanels... the works ... and its just for a 12 person company file server. Oh the pain...

To top it all off, they plugged it all into a standard wall outlet.

I work for a small web development company, so I thought I'd see what I could d, but if you're running more than one machine... I think that may be beyond my capacity.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 9:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

abyssknight - 2005-08-13 12:09 PM

Yes, the site is generally slow for me as well. Not really a forums issue, but good to know there are updates on the way!

Dittoes from me. I just thought it was because the servers were on the other side of the pond from me. ;+)
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.226 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10