x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Funny switchy letters in DOS I->K E->G on LX200

hassilon Page Icon Posted 2023-08-22 4:41 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I recently got an LX200 which was sold for parts. It seems to work fine, but for a strange quirk:
the letters I and K, and E and G are sometimes interchanged on screen but only in DOS? In the 200 GUI, there are no
funny letter switcheroos.

For example if I type "dir," I get "dkr." The dir command still works fine.
If I look really closely, I can see the letters e/g, i/k flipping back and forth quickly.
What is going on here?

The only changes I've made from stock autoexec and config sys are:

autoexec.bat:
maxdos -l 200

and in config.sys

device=c:\zansi.sys REM battery monitor on Lotus key install c:\lxpro.com

Top of the page Quote Reply
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2023-08-22 9:13 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
You might have a double speed LX. Switch the LX off, and on with ESC-ON and take the Timers choice. If it shows 21xxx something as speed, you have a double speed LX with lucky screen/speed matching. Load one of the double speed drivers from SUPER, most likely the Times2Tech one, For the exact number I can see whether it has an exact double speed crysrtal or a 32Mhz version.
hassilon Page Icon Posted 2023-08-23 3:57 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

You're right. It is speed doubled. It says 21625 and "time bad" to the left of the word "Timer"

The seller--who probably has never seen DOS before-- said it would not start up,
but the picture showed "Bad command or filename" and a c: prompt on the screen.

Also came with a 20MB flash card. All for $95. Set out to get a spare
case and hinge for my floppy LX100 and I got a working upgraded LX200!
Beginner's luck, I guess.
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2023-08-23 8:34 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
It is exact double speed with a Times2Tech crystal. A 32Mhz crystal shows around 21850, so 1% higher.
And a lucky combination of screen and motherboard not (necessarily) requiring the double speed drivers to make the screen readable. A good find.

But add the T2T driver just to make everything work a little better, it will improve the screen also under the application manager. While improving the LX, also add lxstat to the autoexec, to set the contrast automatically optimal at startup.
hassilon Page Icon Posted 2023-08-23 3:06 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I have spd31 installed. Curious that the original owner stopped with the crystal upgrade. I mean, I would have gotten the extra RAM too. rdt2t--I keep wanting to call it r2d2-- reports that there is no extra RAM installed.

I wonder what is going on with the 20MB flash card: it works without any special drivers on the 200, but when I tried it in the LX100, the 100 does not see it at all. Typing a: in dos gives me the "Abort, Retry, Fail" error and fdisk100 says I do not need to use it on a:. Maybe it needs a driver for earlier models?

hassilon Page Icon Posted 2023-08-24 4:29 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

The Acecard3 driver is needed for the Kingston 20MB flash card on the 100. I'm surprised because a 32MB Sandisk CF card in an adapter works without any special driver.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 28