x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

FA (BIN): [US] NEC MP900 for $260 buy it now

Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 8:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

It hurts that I can't buy this!!! but since I can't I thought ya'll would like to take a look! http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-MobilePro-900-better-than-790-Jornada-720-728-780_W0QQitemZ5798313120QQcategoryZ38331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 11:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Wow, I figured someone would at least comment. It's not everyday you see one for this price.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 11:06 PM
#
No ac adapter, and no testing.

But man that is a very nice price...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 1:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Anything untested and "as is" is overpriced even if it's free. What's it take to test a CE machine?

No stylus, no adapter, broken latch, hpc2k (aren't these .net units?) I'll pass.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 2:56 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I am with wally, altho I wouldn't go that far to say it should be free

A lot of "no adapter" devices may have dead batteries, or one that can take a very small charge. Altho the MP900's and therefore their batteries are not that old, heavy and/or improper usage can kill a battery prematurely. Just a word of caution.

And wally, the 900 is HPC2000, the 900C is .net 4.2 Altho there is a third party upgrade for 900 to get 4.2 as well.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 7:49 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I contacted the seller several days ago. He had another unit for sale at that time as well. Seems the computer starts up and goes to the calibration screen, but they can't do anything with it from that point on....

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that the mysterious apparatus on the bottom is simply the backup battery compartment and it is missing the door. When people act stupid like that on eBay, then you know they are simply "playing dumb."

So, no accessories, no door cover (and impossible to find one...though a piece of duct tape will work), and a bad digitizer (you could pull one off an old 780)...and who knows what else might be wrong....

It might be a great deal...or it might be a waste of money....

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 1:41 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2005-08-14 1:49 PM

I contacted the seller several days ago. He had another unit for sale at that time as well. Seems the computer starts up and goes to the calibration screen, but they can't do anything with it from that point on....

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that the mysterious apparatus on the bottom is simply the backup battery compartment and it is missing the door. When people act stupid like that on eBay, then you know they are simply "playing dumb."

So, no accessories, no door cover (and impossible to find one...though a piece of duct tape will work), and a bad digitizer (you could pull one off an old 780)...and who knows what else might be wrong....

It might be a great deal...or it might be a waste of money....

Rich

what the hell... they are perfectly aware that the digitizer is bad and they don't tell about it in the description??? that's very unfair..
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 2:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well...caveat emptor...

Here is a cut and paste of what was sent to me in response to my query:

Yes, when turned on, screen prompted to calibrate touch screen, was unable to go through it completely, but it did respond to stylus taps, just didn't calibrate. Entering carriage returns brought us to the main screen. Thanks for asking.

So that tells me that the digitizer is responding, but not calibrating...something you see often with a little microscopic crack in the unit or electrical failure of some type. On the othr hand...if you wanted to use a mouse it would make no difference.

Rich
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 3:35 PM
#
H/PC Elder

After reading all this I'd say the units are known defective spares some shop had in their inventory to cannabalize to repair working units.

Did't NEC pull the 900 line recently? If so the shop probably stopped servicing 900s and sold these to the ebay seller, who then is trying to hose honest buyers.

Untested, as is. Ebay should have a BIN policy for that kind of crap. Like a $9.99 maximum price.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 6:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-08-14 9:35 PM

Untested, as is. Ebay should have a BIN policy for that kind of crap. Like a $9.99 maximum price.

hahaha, i'd instantly buy one (defective) MP900 at that price. even for a little more (not much more though)
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-14 6:35 PM
#
H/PC Elder

If I was the seller I'd part out the machines and sell the bits seperately, as is. At least the prices should be lower per bit and I could sleep at night knowing nobody was hosed top dollar for something I *knew* wasn't right. Maybe I'm in a dying breed though, preferring to let handshakes and my word speak for me.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-08-15 1:48 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well it is over, I am going to try and contact the buyer and give the link to hpcfactor.com for whatever support we can give. I hope it works for them!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 8