x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

a good DOS shell for handheld use?

hassilon Page Icon Posted 2023-10-09 1:40 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Back in the 90s, I got a Tandy 1000 series 286 with the DeskMate shell. It was pretty horrible, and looking back at it running in Dosbox, I don't know how I managed. Even with a mouse and full-size PC, it's just awful. OK, so Deskmate is out unless you are nostalgic for it. What else was there? I remember vaguely some of my friends had other PC clones and various Norton, Microsoft, file manager shells....I wonder if there is something out there that would run well on HP Palmtops. (I also remember some Windows shell replacements like Sloop Manager, but I think windows is just too heavy and mouse-dependent for palmtop.)

So far "X-finder" seems to me best. Although at first hard to get used to, it has some neat features like easy-to-customize launcher, maxdos support, browse inside archives, and, of course, the loads of custom icon sets are fun.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-10-09 1:49 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I never tried it on a 200LX, but back in the 80's when I had a 086, it had 1DirPlus on it

https://vetusware.com/download/1DIRPLUS%201.04E/?id=4685
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 9