x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP OmniGo 700LX

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-11-15 4:39 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Hi.

I was reading a Japanese magazine from 2003 called Mobile Press, and found an article mentioning HP OmniGo 700LX.
This is an interesting device that has a cradle for HP 200LX that acts like a cellphone / telephony device. It was actually made by collaboration with Nokia too.
I think this is one of the early Nokia 9000 communicator style, except it has HP 200LX inside.

Photos are here:
http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=201
https://www.mobilephonemuseum.com/phone-detail/hp-omnigo-700lx

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2023-11-15 4:39 AM
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-11-15 9:20 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

very cool!
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-11-15 11:42 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Glad you liked it!

-stingraze
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-15 4:27 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I've actually seen those for ebay sale. The trouble is, a) at least in the US, old Nokias can no longer get on-line b) even when they could, it was hard to browse/email.

Tho with C:Amie's rebuilt Microweb Browser, there is promise.

While I could IR-connect with a 200LX and Nokia 9300, I couldn't get the email to acknowledge the connection and it kept dropping no matter my approach.

Jake
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2023-11-15 4:28 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I remember reading about this, always thought the concept was great. Never seen one in person though, but I'd imagine at least a couple of businessmen kept one in their briefcases especially on trips for portable email etc. Thanks for the links Sting, was fun reading more about it again!
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-11-16 10:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

@Jake
The listing on eBay must have cost a lot. In Japan, we had different types of radio than GSM when it was 2G, and there were several types of 3G too. Now that we’re in 4G / 5G, it’s crazy to know we have bandwidth in Gbps instead of few Kbps.

@HPC:Fan
I’m so glad you found the links fun. I’ll try to find more interesting devices from the Mobile Press since I bought 30 of them at once to gain artifacts of knowledge about handheld and mobile devices in late 90’s to early 00’s.

-stingraze
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2023-11-16 4:28 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I have used one during the nineties (around 1994).

There was an HP200 included and you could install a Nokia 21xx phone into the cradle in the display. This was a very heavy combo.

The Nokia 21xx was available for all major digital cellphone systems in those days. It was the best sold cellphone line worldwide and it was the first to be really slim. It had an excellent fieldtest mode, too, and it was the first choice for every network operators technician.

The 2110 was for GSM900 but there were models for GSM1800, GSM1900 and NMT.

The data rate was limited to GSM-data with one time slot and that was 9k6. For GSM there was nothing else possible because the modem was installed in the MSC and all the data from your mobile client to the MSC was transferred via a proprietary protocol, not via audio.

The price for the GSM data (pcmcia-) card back then was around 500USD and the phones price tag was the same. That palmtop with cradle was more than 1000USD but it included the datacard (fixed).

Just to paint the picture....
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-16 4:44 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
@dl1av Were you able to connect to the D&A email program or its WWW/LX Web Browser?

Jake
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 12:10 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
If anayone is interested, I have a complete set (or maybe two) available: 700LX (working, as new, in box with full documentation) plus the required Nokia (working, as very old, battery long stopped working) .

Most likely for display, or museum piece, but it still is also a fully working 200LX. Probably shipping (from NL) will be the main part of the cost. Any fair offer accepted.

Edited by michelbel 2023-11-17 12:12 AM
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 4:20 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2023-11-16 5:44 PM

@dl1av Were you able to connect to the D&A email program or its WWW/LX Web Browser?

Jake

Never tried it.

We used the 200 plus cellphone combo for mailboxes and the german BTX-system (CEPT).

WWW wasn't all that popular before 1995 and the actual browser then was Mosaic for Win3.11
As I remember it the MS-DOS browsers all came later when the collector scene got going.

And besides that: GSM-data was 9k6 and around 50cents per minute or more.

My usual portable companion in those days was a Compaq 486 with Win3.11 and Mosaic (later Netscape) and a 38kb landline modem.

The palmtops were more or less just to prove the possibilities
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 26