x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Disable SD/SDIO Card?

1 2 3
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 3:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
@thenzero has very much guided me through a working wifi connection Sig3/Spectec SDIO. He was a patient hero

Now that I'm on-line and wanting to preserve battery life, I'm looking for something such as DevPSwitch.exe to disable/reenable the SDIO (DevPSwitch can only disable cf/pcmcia wifi)

Through Aegis Client, a user can disable the SDIO radio but the card blinks on. Nor can I find any cmd commands that work with Aegis's exe, and I'd rather not keep ejecting the card from the Sig3's aging plastic.

Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 4:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I know it’s clunky and perhaps vaguely annoying but maybe you can just move the driver dll out of /windows when you’re not using it?

I know that’s not ideal and hopefully someone comes up with a better idea.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 4:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

torch - 2023-11-18 11:20 AM

I know it’s clunky and perhaps vaguely annoying but maybe you can just move the driver dll out of /windows when you’re not using it?

I know that’s not ideal and hopefully someone comes up with a better idea.

That won't really work for what he's wanting. He wants to be able to disable and reenable at will without removing. Once the card is loaded you can't do anything to that DLL.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 4:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

A few further thoughts on this-

1. There is mention of a PPC2003 "wlan utility" app in the Spectec manual and the screenshots clearly show a toggle for the radio as well as a power mode selection list
2. This is interesting because there is a registry key for our cards that is "PowerMode" and it is set to "2" by default. "2" in that screenshot is the "fast" mode. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that "0" is disabled, and "1" is power saving mode.

So, I think you should experiment with setting "PowerMode" to 1 and see if you get a radio shut off when not in use. It is at HKLM->comm->WLAN11g1->Parms->PowerMode

Additionally I think it is worth noting that you don't actually need to remove the card, just push it in gently and release to disengage (and repeat to re-engage) so I don't think there's actually much risk to the sig....just a thought.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 4:54 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Going on to what you said about the wlan utility:
I wonder if there was a .net compact framework program maybe on xda or somewhere else that someone made for something like this. May be worth a check if you can’t locate that official one.

Again I could be wrong I’m just thinking of ideas
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@torch thanks. I suppose one could make a batch file that would rename the dll back and forth, though each time would require a soft reset

@thenzero thank you the reg tip. I did find that setting, and set it to 1. A reset didn't affect connectivity, but the card stays on-line (so far). Tho it may at least be in a power-saving state, but that's not clear.

Just for a look-see, I also put the setting to 0, which has seemingly little effect as well.

One thing I have noticed is that if Zero Config is disabled in Aegis Client, a reset disables the card completely until Aegis is started manually.

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

torch - 2023-11-18 11:54 AM

I wonder if there was a .net compact framework program maybe on xda or somewhere else that someone made for something like this. May be worth a check if you can’t locate that official one.

Not a bad thought. The manual indicates that the wlan utility is only for the wlan11b cards, but I suppose it can't hurt to try it out and see if it might work with the wlan11g card, although I am not holding my breath!
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:03 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

One thing I have noticed is that if Zero Config is disabled in Aegis Client, a reset disables the card completely until Aegis is started manually.

so....problem solved?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:03 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

thenzero - 2023-11-17 10:02 AM

torch - 2023-11-18 11:54 AM

Not a bad thought. The manual indicates that the wlan utility is only for the wlan11b cards, but I suppose it can't hurt to try it out and see if it might work with the wlan11g card, although I am not holding my breath!

Plus you could also see if the wlan11b utility has some registry calls that could apply to the wlan11g as well.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:09 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@thenzero I'm trying to avoid a reset, as you'd have to shut down programs, etc and then restart them.

It does seem odd that the sd slot itself can't be disabled, tho maybe there's never been a need to do so.

Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Jake - 2023-11-17 10:09 AM

@thenzero I'm trying to avoid a reset, as you'd have to shut down programs, etc and then restart them.

It does seem odd that the sd slot itself can't be disabled, tho maybe there's never been a need to do so.

Jake

what about a suspend?

You could run the Sig on battery and when it pops up with “do you want to run the slot on battery power”, click no?
Or am I misunderstanding and the sdio slot doesn’t work with that as opposed to the normal cf card way?
You know the battery saving option that pops up on Windows CE when you’re running on battery and it gives you a chance to disable the card upon waking up
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:19 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2023-11-18 12:09 PM

Jake

Yeah. No go with the wlan utility, it just complains that it "Can't open control channel!" and then crashes unceremoniously
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@torch good idea. I just went through smalltweak and its card battery warnings do not apply to sd cards. Not a surprise, really, given that the program was developed long before sd/pda use.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:22 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@thenzero thanks for putting it through its paces.

Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:22 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Jake - 2023-11-17 10:21 AM

@torch good idea. I just went through smalltweak and its card battery warnings do not apply to sd cards. Not a surprise, really, given that the program was developed long before sd/pda use.

Jake

I assume the Windows CE OS is the same ?
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.328 - Cached queries : 28 - Executed queries : 54