x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Disable SD/SDIO Card?

1 2 3
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:25 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Not certain what you mean. smalltweak was hpc2000 and below, I think.

Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Sorry disregard. I understand what you meant now. I think I was confused but I get what you were saying now.

Anyway good luck. If I think of any other ideas I’ll let you know. Obviously thenzero is more knowledgeable than I with this
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2023-11-18 12:02 PM

@torch thanks. I suppose one could make a batch file that would rename the dll back and forth, though each time would require a soft reset

@thenzero thank you the reg tip. I did find that setting, and set it to 1. A reset didn't affect connectivity, but the card stays on-line (so far). Tho it may at least be in a power-saving state, but that's not clear.

Just for a look-see, I also put the setting to 0, which has seemingly little effect as well.

One thing I have noticed is that if Zero Config is disabled in Aegis Client, a reset disables the card completely until Aegis is started manually.

Jake

So building on this idea- it appears that the same thing happens after an eject/reinsert. Brief flash of the light and then it stays disabled until a "restart" of the AEGIS client. I know the eject is one of the things you're trying to avoid but thought I'd add it to the knowledge pool.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 5:51 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Interesting. I can't replicate that, as in my card starts flashing upon reinsertion. Another thing I've noticed is the disablement of Zero sometimes prevents a SDIO connection through Aegis. Though that could be the general bugginess of Aegis, since there are other times I have to jiggle the handle repeatedly even with Zero initially starting (dunno why, since if you close out Zero, the card turns off, and only turns back on with start of Aegis).

As for the reg editing, I am not certain that has true effect, regardless of 0-2 chosen.

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 6:00 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2023-11-18 12:51 PM

Interesting. I can't replicate that, as in my card starts flashing upon reinsertion.

Jake

Uhhh....well that's odd. I did set my powermode to 3 as an experiment before I did that. What's yours set to?
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 6:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Yeah setting it back to 2 now it comes back on with a re-insert....setting it to 3 it behaves as I described. Random.

Edit: Can you replicate?

Edited by thenzero 2023-11-17 6:11 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 6:39 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I just tried 3 in powermode, card still came back on reinsertion.

I have 2 Sigs and they can be quite different about peripherals. With my Netgear M701, I can reset Machine 1 and the card shows power. On Machine 2, with same backup, card needs reinsertion.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 6:40 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

OTH, your reg experimentation shows that at least those numbers are doing something.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 6:43 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

In Machine 2, I just tried 3 in powermode and I still can't replicate your findings.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 8:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The most pragmatic approach--avoiding hardware pulling and reset--is simply to bring up the Aegis Client (with Zero Config already disabled) and Exit. This shuts down both Aegis and the SDIO card. Restarting Aegis--more or less --brings back wifi.

As an aside, and I'm probably preaching to the choir, to avoid constantly grinding the stylus into the Sig reset hole, I use PHM Tools\Reset.exe, which I keystroke via M3cro. But I'm sure everybody already knew that...

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 10:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2023-11-18 3:57 PM

The most pragmatic approach--avoiding hardware pulling and reset--is simply to bring up the Aegis Client (with Zero Config already disabled) and Exit. This shuts down both Aegis and the SDIO card. Restarting Aegis--more or less --brings back wifi.

As an aside, and I'm probably preaching to the choir, to avoid constantly grinding the stylus into the Sig reset hole, I use PHM Tools\Reset.exe, which I keystroke via M3cro. But I'm sure everybody already knew that...

Jake

Yeah can't beat the RESET app. I use WINCLOSE as well. Haven't heard of m3cro before though, will check it out.

I am starting to think the difference in our observations must be due to the different spectec models we have, because neither exiting nor disabling AEGIS turns off my card...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-17 11:16 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, I just discovered winclose.exe while window shopping the SCL. How have I lived without it?

m3cro can hotkey all sorts of things (i.e. Winkey+0 = reset.exe). My only regret is you can't use an Alt key as modifier.

I can no longer shut down SDIO completely by exiting Aegis, so my amateur guess this is a 4.1/Sig3 deal. Every time I start SDIO is an unfolding mystery

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-11-18 7:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2023-11-18 6:16 PM

I can no longer shut down SDIO completely by exiting Aegis, so my amateur guess this is a 4.1/Sig3 deal. Every time I start SDIO is an unfolding mystery

Jake

To be clear, I'm testing on 4.1/sig3 as well.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-11-18 8:55 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks to Ranier's magic wr-tools and his cpu gauge, I can track the irregularities close-up.

1) authenticated SDIO in Aegis idles the cpu at 40%

2) if Aegis is stopped, exited, a blinking SDIO idles the cpu at around 25%

Obviously, once browsing/emailing, the cpu jumps higher, close to 100%

3) if Aegis is stopped, exited, and SDIO is ejected, the CPU can idle as low as 2%

But not always--sometimes, there are persistent spikes to 100% even though no process can be traced as culprit. A soft reset can alleviate this, as can--sometimes--simply turning the machine off and back on.

Furthermore, just because the SDIO led is off, doesn't mean it isn't drawing power--I can see the cpu bumps even with SDIO seemingly disabled.

All of this perhaps explains why my battery life has been 3 hours or less despite its re-celling. Now that I'm monitoring the mysterious increases, and can stop them, albeit with a lot of handle jiggling, I'm hoping for longer battery time.

Jake

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-11-18 10:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

But you haven't been using SDIO prior to the last few days right? Does it do this with CF wifi as well?
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.289 - Cached queries : 55 - Executed queries : 26