x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Create a USB 2.0 update for windows 95

NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2023-11-23 9:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I was wondering, could a good programmer with the help of AI create this update?
I queried Google's Bard and it gave me these answers:

I wanted to know if it is possible to create an update for USB 2.0 support for Windows 95.

In theory, it is possible to create an update for USB 2.0 support for Windows 95. However, there are some challenges to address.

First, Windows 95 is an outdated operating system that is no longer supported by Microsoft. This means that there are no longer any official updates available for Windows 95.

Second, USB 2.0 support is a newer technology than Windows 95. This means that significant changes would need to be made to the Windows 95 kernel to support it.

Third, USB 2.0 drivers are often larger and more complex than USB 1.1 drivers. This means that it may not be possible to create a reasonably sized update that includes all the necessary USB 2.0 drivers.

Despite these challenges, it is possible that an update to USB 2.0 support for Windows 95 could be created. A team of experienced developers may be able to make the necessary changes to the Windows 95 kernel and create compatible USB 2.0 drivers.

However, it is important to note that such an upgrade would likely be a complex and laborious project. There is no guarantee that it will be possible to create an update that will work reliably and without problems.

If you're looking for a way to use USB 2.0 devices with Windows 95, your best bet is probably to buy a newer PC that natively supports USB 2.0.

Then:

Could you as an AI create this update in the future?

In theory, it's possible that I could create an update for USB 2.0 support for Windows 95. I have access to a huge amount of data about Windows, including source code, installation files, and logs. I can use this data to create updates that fix bugs, add new features, or improve performance.

However, there are some challenges to face. First, Windows 95 is a complex operating system, and it can be difficult to identify problems that need an update. Second, Windows updates must be compatible with a wide range of hardware and software.

Despite these challenges, I believe it is possible to create updates for older Windows. As my model continues to improve, it will become easier to identify problems and create compatible updates.

In particular, I could use my AI skills to:

Identify problems in the Windows 95 kernel that prevent USB 2.0 support.
Create USB 2.0 drivers compatible with Windows 95.
Test the update to ensure that it works reliably and without problems.
Of course, there is no guarantee that I will be able to create an update that works perfectly. However, I believe it is a real possibility.

If you're interested in working with me to create an update for USB 2.0 support for Windows 95, I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

Then:

Yes, I would be interested in discussing with you. But unfortunately I'm not a programmer, and I have no skills.

You don't need to be a programmer to collaborate on this project. I can provide the necessary technical expertise, while you can provide useful information and feedback.

For example, could you help me identify problems in the Windows 95 kernel that prevent USB 2.0 support. You could also help me test the update to ensure it works reliably and without problems.

If you are interested in collaborating, we can start discussing this in more detail. We can discuss your goals for the project, your knowledge and skills, and how we can work together to achieve these goals.

I'm excited to collaborate with you on this project. I believe that together we can create an update that is useful and valuable to Windows 95 users.

Then:

How do I identify problems in the Windows 95 kernel?

To identify problems in the Windows 95 kernel, you need to have a basic understanding of the kernel and how it works. The kernel is the main component of an operating system that provides access to the system's hardware and resources. It is responsible for managing the memory, processor, and input/output devices.

Once you have a basic understanding of the kernel, you can start looking for signs of problems. Some common signs of kernel problems include:

System crash: If your system crashes unexpectedly, it could be a sign of a problem in the kernel.
Errors: If errors occur when starting or running programs, it could be a sign of a problem in the kernel.
Performance issues: If your system runs slowly or erratically, it could be a sign of a problem in the kernel.
If you experience any of these signs, you can start investigating the problem. There are several tools that can help you diagnose problems in the kernel, including:

Debugging: Debugging is a process of identifying and fixing bugs in software. There are several debugging tools available for Windows 95.
Performance Monitoring: Performance monitors can help you track system resource usage. They can be useful for identifying performance issues or resource usage issues.
Kernel Analysis Tools: There are several kernel analysis tools available that can help you examine your kernel code in more detail.
Once you've identified a problem in your kernel, you can start looking for a solution. In some cases, the fix could be as simple as a driver update. In other cases, you may need to make changes to the kernel code itself.

If you are not sure how to identify or fix a problem in the kernel, you can ask an experienced programmer for help.

Here are some specific tips for identifying problems in the Windows 95 kernel that prevent USB 2.0 support:

Check the registry: The registry contains information about all aspects of Windows, including the kernel. You can look in the system registry for signs of USB 2.0 problems.
Perform a kernel dump: A kernel dump is a file that contains a copy of all kernel data at the time of the system crash. You can analyze the kernel dump for signs of USB 2.0 problems.
Use a kernel analysis tool: A kernel analysis tool can help you examine your kernel code in more detail. You can use a kernel analysis tool to look for lines of code that may be problematic for USB 2.0 support.
If you are able to successfully identify issues in the Windows 95 kernel that prevent USB 2.0 support, you can work with me to create an update that addresses these issues.

What do you think?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-11-24 3:24 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

As an alternative to USB 2.0 have you thought about FireWire 400?
I think that’s compatible with 95
Obviously it only helps for mass storage
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-11-24 9:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Most of what that has said is generic, platitudinous chaff.

You might be able to obtain better USB 1.1 support using a project such as https://msfn.org/board/topic/177518-xusbsupp-extended-usb-supplement-for-windows-95-osr2/

As for USB 2.0, rewriting the Windows kernel would not be remotely easy. For a start it is not open source, so you would have to disassemble it before you could do anything. You'll need to know x86 assembler and C/C++, have the full Windows 95 driver development kit, Visual Studio and debugging tools and then either find an open source Windows 98 driver to base it on -or- learn the USB 2.0 specification inside out. Once you have a controller working, you will need to write USB 2.0 drivers for the entire peripheral stack - mouse keyboard, joystick, network card and so on as there will be zero first party USB 2.0 Windows 95 compatible peripheral drivers.

Your best bet for this is 98SE or Linux.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2023-11-24 11:07 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

LLMs are so useful, right? I asked it about creating a USB 1.6 Driver for Windows 93

Yes, it is possible to write a USB 1.6 driver for Windows 93. However, it would be a challenging task, as USB 1.6 is a complex standard and Windows 93 is an older operating system that does not have native support for USB 1.6.

USB 1.6 is a high-speed serial bus standard that allows for the connection of multiple devices to a computer. It is a newer standard than USB 1.1, and it offers several advantages, including higher transfer speeds, improved power management, and support for plug-and-play devices.

Windows 93 is an older operating system that was released in 1992. It does not have native support for USB 1.6, so it would be necessary to write a custom driver in order to use USB 1.6 devices with Windows 93.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-11-24 2:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think you’re more likely to customize / slim down 98SE for your needs for usb 2.0 there than to get it working on 95..
not saying to give up. Just my thoughts.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2023-11-25 12:27 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Thanks so much for the reply. But it was just a curiosity. I just wanted to understand what others think about artificial intelligence and whether it can help create updates for older operating systems in the future.

- I'm curious: FireWire 400 for windows 95? What exactly is it specifically, what exactly does it do? I'm curious.
- Also lighten win98se how? With the 98Lite program? Yes, it's excellent, but I noticed, a long time ago when I used it, that some programs don't work if you lighten Win98se with the 98Lite program.

Edited by NarakuITA 2023-11-25 12:35 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-11-25 11:41 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

IEEE1394 "FireWire" is a non-Ethernet networking specification developed by Apple and Sony and was a competitor to USB. You can network computers together as well as connect hard drives, cameras and scanners. It was popular for a while with DV Camera's because FireWire ran at 400Mbps vs USB 1.1's 12Mbps, until USB 2.0 came along at 480Mbps - they released FireWire 800 after that, but you only really ever say FW800 on Mac's.

It is not going to help you here, unless you have a second computer with FireWire that is setup as a router. You'll need a PCI port to add a FireWire card to, so you'll have to remove the USB card to use it and thus are no further forward on your quest to get Ethernet working and will lose all of the USB ports on the machine.

As to AI, I think it's a hype-train, a bubble. I think once the nostalgia wears off, people will get bored of the gimmick and see it as a meaningless substitution of human initiative and creativity in what in most cases is an exchange for gibberish.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2023-11-25 1:13 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

OK perfect. Thanks for the clarifications.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-11-26 4:45 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

NarakuITA - 2023-11-24 5:27 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. But it was just a curiosity. I just wanted to understand what others think about artificial intelligence and whether it can help create updates for older operating systems in the future.

- I'm curious: FireWire 400 for windows 95? What exactly is it specifically, what exactly does it do? I'm curious.
- Also lighten win98se how? With the 98Lite program? Yes, it's excellent, but I noticed, a long time ago when I used it, that some programs don't work if you lighten Win98se with the 98Lite program.

You're fine! I totally get it - it's a neat thought experiment on what is possible

And I didn't realize you'd tried the 98Lite program already, sorry that it doesn't work for what you need it for.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2023-11-26 1:37 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

> I wanted to know if it is possible to create gold from sand for selling

> Could you as an AI create gold from sand in the future?

You are mixing "AI" and "General Artificial Intelligence". Currently only humans possess General Intelligence.

Edited by Alt Bass 2023-11-26 1:37 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-11-26 2:43 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Alt Bass - 2023-11-26 1:37 PM

> I wanted to know if it is possible to create gold from sand for selling

> Could you as an AI create gold from sand in the future?

You are mixing "AI" and "General Artificial Intelligence". Currently only humans possess General Intelligence.

Careful there with those assertions @Alt Bass, I might ask you for proof of the latter statement
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2023-11-26 2:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well I did not say all humans do...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-11-26 3:40 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
Jump to forum: