x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How's everyone's palmtop/handheld PC holding up in soon to be 2024?

zar_lord Page Icon Posted 2023-12-15 11:49 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Heya heya, long time no see!

I hope everyone and their handheld PC(s) are doing okay! My trusty HP 320LX is going strong save for slight unfortunate shadowing (lines) on my screen. Much sadness, however I have recently acquired from my aunt a laptop sized Compaq running Windows CE 2 (I don't have an exact name as I can not recall it and it's in a box as I'm moving ;-. So that's pretty good.

I've since bought some Compact Flash cards for storage along with a Compact Flash to USB reader to transfer files and she's been a great little note taking tool! Haven't been able to get the Windows CE to Windows connect tool/program to work but I think this is fine for now as I've already gotten accustomed to it anyways.

Hope to hear from someone!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-12-16 11:55 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

All hail @zar_lord Welcome back. Long time no-see!

If it's a sub-notebook, I infer that it would be the Aero 8000 - https://www.hpcfactor.com/hardware/devices/23/Compaq/Aero_8000 which we don't seem to have a lot of spec info for there. Perhaps you could help to fill it in?

What version of 'big' Windows are you trying to connect to and what are you trying to use to do it (Ethernet, serial, IR)?
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2023-12-25 9:07 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

zar_lord - 2023-12-15 3:49 PM

Heya heya, long time no see!

I hope everyone and their handheld PC(s) are doing okay! My trusty HP 320LX is going strong save for slight unfortunate shadowing (lines) on my screen. Much sadness, however I have recently acquired from my aunt a laptop sized Compaq running Windows CE 2 (I don't have an exact name as I can not recall it and it's in a box as I'm moving ;-. So that's pretty good.

I had a 300LX I purchased new at release that went into warranty repair with HP three times. The last time, they just shipped me a 360LX, which is still working solidly, what, 25 years later?

My wife just got me a Cassiopeia A-11 for Christmas to add to my collection. Just booted it for the first time tonight after some trial and error with the battery switches. Now I've got a CE 1.0 box to play with.

I've since bought some Compact Flash cards for storage along with a Compact Flash to USB reader to transfer files and she's been a great little note taking tool! Haven't been able to get the Windows CE to Windows connect tool/program to work but I think this is fine for now as I've already gotten accustomed to it anyways.

Hope to hear from someone!

Y'now, now I'm wondering if a SD/microSD to CF card adapter might not be a bad idea, and how well it would work. I can't imagine CF cards are as common these days.
 Top of the page
systremor Page Icon Posted 2024-01-08 7:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So far, so good! The 320LX is basically mint except for one dead backlight LED. I'd love to replace those with white LEDs at some point, luckily the plastics are not brittle so a teardown won't be a nightmare.

The 728 began developing a thin crack on the left hinge, unfortunately. I'll have to think about using a some kind of glue to fix that up before it's too late. Finally got it hooked up to the internet as I was lended a laptop with a PCMCIA slot to flash the latest firmware on the Aironet 350. I don't like keeping laptops around (except for the EeePC ), I'm happy with a desktop and a couple of spare boards, CPUs, drives, RAM modules... Now off to giving NetBSD a try
The two of my 720's are fine, kinda worn out, but nothing that worsens the experience.
Of course, all three have dim CCFLs to a certain extent, but at least it's still kinda okay if you crank up the brightness to maximum...

Not H/PC related, but my 200LX is also doing okay apart from the usual right hinge crack defect, a bit of super glue tackled that issue.

Edited by systremor 2024-01-08 7:50 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-01-09 2:54 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

My main ones are Sigmarion 3 and Sigmarion 1. They are doing great. I got a pretty good condition battery for the Sigmarion 3, and it is holding charge. I have a Japanese 728 that is a little damaged on the hinge and a broken screen, maybe I will sell it on eBay or elsewhere soon to get some cash.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-01-09 3:14 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'm practically dating the Sig3 purchased from @stingraze, who is seller extraordinaire. I've had so much fun going out with it.

Jake
 Top of the page
Sethbramwell Page Icon Posted 2024-01-09 5:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

zar_lord - 2023-12-15 11:49 PM

May I ask what program you use for note taking? I just got a HP320LX and Pocket Word works fine on the system, but I can't open the files on my modern computer without a bunch of formatting garbage being inserted.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-01-09 6:18 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
@Sethbramwell -- I'm not sure which app @SirThoreth is using, but if you can get hold of any TextMaker version (I think even the free ones), TM can open/edit/save in Pocket Word format.

Jake
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2024-01-11 12:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

My MC16 (rebadged 360LX) is languishing in a box, but it's in exhausted condition - dim backlight, the PC Card eject mechanism doesn't work properly, the AC adapter, serial cable and phone were binned or lost long ago. The contents of its retail box are scattered around my place in various states of deterioration. I don't have a use for it unless I need to make a spreadsheet using VBA macros, which I don't see happening any time soon.

I had my Psion 5mx hinge repaired, and not even a week later slammed it shut by mistake and tore the display cable. I should have just sold it in working order.

Edited by Paianni 2024-01-11 12:04 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-01-13 11:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Jake - 2024-01-09 12:14 PM

I'm practically dating the Sig3 purchased from @stingraze, who is seller extraordinaire. I've had so much fun going out with it.

Jake

Thank you for your kind words, Jake.

-stingraze
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2024-01-14 4:48 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

How does it feel to be a matchmaker, stingraze?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-01-14 5:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Um... I think I need a Handheld (PC) "Orb" to enhance my earnings.... hahaha
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 12