x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My new 200LX - some thoughts

julle_da_costa Page Icon Posted 2023-12-17 6:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I just got a HP 200LX (bought on eBay for 170 USD) in a very good condtition. So far my experiences can be summarized as follows:

* it can run Qbasic 1.1, QuickBasic 4.5 and PDS 7.1. The latter two provides a compiler to create a standalone exe. In PDS you have the option of running your programs in interpreted mode and once the program is finished you can compile it. This really speeds up the development cycle. I am currently developing a program simulating a simple species evolving under the evolutionary pressure to survive. Started in Qbasic 11 but have just migrated to PDS 7.1 since it allows for arrays in user defined types. Just was I was looking for. Since PDS 7.1 supports ISAM files you can (with a bit of effort) create your own RDBMS.

* It can run the very powerful program "Lotus Agenda" which is like a declarative PIM. Agenda is freeware and you should give it a try. Takes a bit getting used to but it IS worth the effort.

* Battery life is fenomenal! I have had it for two weeks already and the two AA batteries are still full. Unheard of in this day and age of smartphones requiring a daily charge.

* The built in PIM is very good.

* The built in Database is quite powerful even though is a flat DB. (No relational DB...)

* Last but not least. It gives me a daily dose of retro computing nostalgia. (who doesn't fancy a dos-prompt on your daily commute?)

So I can really envision myself to use this for PIM and programming on the go.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-12-17 7:33 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Nice write-up of 200LX features. I'm still amazed that a user can sync contacts/appointments with 32-bit desktop Outlook, and on the Linux side, one can batch convert other database files and import into the .gdb files: https://packages.debian.org/sid/lx-gdb

Jake
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-12-17 9:03 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the great little 200LX.....a wonderful, super well-built (like a tank...) pocket computer.

On the one hand I wish it had a larger display and real keyboard, but then it would not be the great pocket computer.
Have other DOS palmtops, but the last one I think I would part with is the 200LX.

Enjoy!

Mark
julle_da_costa Page Icon Posted 2023-12-19 3:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Yes, I agree with you. I plan to use the 200LX for planning and general collection of data. (Except videos and photos of course) But pure textual information, like when I have a new idea for a program or simulation. The keyboard is a bit on the stiff side buit it still retains the HP feeling, which I think is nice. Since my post I have spent more time in PDS 7.1. Very impressive and quick, even on the 200LX.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 27