x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Using Browservice and CE

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-03-08 7:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Just put this in a text file and open it in the browser:
<html> <head> <title>test</title> </head> <body> <noscript> <div> If you can see this, there is no JavaScript support. </div> </noscript> <script type="text/javascript">alert('if you can read this, JavaScript is running');</script> </body> </html>
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-03-08 7:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Nice one, Chris. Just ran it in NF and there is no JavaScript support (for some reason, NF will not open .txt, so I renamed to *.html and loaded from there).

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-03-08 9:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

This is a Japanese slide, but it seems NF 3.3 has Javascript support.
https://www.docswell.com/s/ockeghem/ZEYX85-ore-js#p6

Maybe there's an option to enable / disable Javascript in options of NF 3.3. Might be worth checking out.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2024-03-08 9:02 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-09 7:12 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Jake - 2024-03-08 9:38 AM

As for my own browsing, I'm still using a 3-Com wifi adapter connected to a secondary WEP128 router that is piggy-backed to the secure main router. From there, I can either use retroproxy (though the mothership must also use the 128WEP connection, which makes me uncomfortable) or simply work with 68k.news/frogfind (hit-or-miss), and Egret RSS/full text articles.

As for security issues with a weaker secondary router that is only used by the J720 but is still connected to the main router, I don't know. So I unplug secondary router when the J720 is off.

Jake

Here's an idea of my setup:
I went to Goodwill and located a router compatible with Fresh Tomato (aftermarket firmware), then set the transmit power super low (to about 5mW), then the H/PC can get the signal, but you're not blasting full power a WEP128 network. You could always play with the mW settings to see the lowest signal power you need that works.
I recommend FreshTomato for a WEP128 router since it's updated about 3-5 times a year - presumably with more security.
Obviously, if your setup works for you, I wouldn't mess with it. Just food for thought basically.

This page offers some info on Trasmist power
https://learntomato.flashrouters.com/wifi-not-working-fix-slow-wifi-problems/

Edited by torch 2024-03-09 7:52 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-03-09 10:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Jake
Here's an idea of my setup:
I went to Goodwill and located a router compatible with Fresh Tomato (aftermarket firmware), then set the transmit power super low (to about 5mW), then the H/PC can get the signal, but you're not blasting full power a WEP128 network. You could always play with the mW settings to see the lowest signal power you need that works.
I recommend FreshTomato for a WEP128 router since it's updated about 3-5 times a year - presumably with more security.
Obviously, if your setup works for you, I wouldn't mess with it. Just food for thought basically.

This page offers some info on Trasmist power
https://learntomato.flashrouters.com/wifi-not-working-fix-slow-wifi-problems/

Yeah 5mW seems like a very good idea. Maybe a MAC address filtering will harden up security too.
https://learntomato.flashrouters.com/setup-mac-filter-tomato-router-firmware/

Edited by stingraze 2024-03-09 10:20 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-03-09 5:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@stingraze I tunneled into NF and found in the Dialog menu with option to "Create window without JavaScript"

Not sure what that really means, and the only reference I can find.

@torch What an interesting find/approach. I have a Netgear WNR2000 for 128WEP and I'll have to see if that Netgear will play nice. Thanks much for the tip

@stingraze Thank you, too. MAC address is a good idea as well.

I must admit, my J720 internet forays are more proof of concept than any extended use. What I really miss is a 2G IR connection via c:amie's driver.

Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-09 6:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Jake - 2024-03-09 10:31 AM

@torch What an interesting find/approach. I have a Netgear WNR2000 for 128WEP and I'll have to see if that Netgear will play nice. Thanks much for the tip

Can you do me a favor? Can you take a picture of the back of the router that has the model number ? I want to check something. (You can black out the serial number and MAC address if you want. I don’t need those )
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-03-09 6:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Here it is. Hope it's not too much bandwidth.

Jake

(IMG_20240309_132559.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20240309_132559.jpg (3396KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-03-10 2:06 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

@stingraze I tunneled into NF and found in the Dialog menu with option to "Create window without JavaScript"

@Jake

I see. I guess this is a different version of NF 3.3 then.

Edited by stingraze 2024-03-10 2:07 AM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9