x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE Emulator & Protable Firefox on CF Card?

1 2
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 12:32 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Snappy! - 2005-08-15 8:53 AM

HPCs like the Jornada *can* boot off using a bootloader. So yes, it can boot off other OS, provided a bootloader is written

I think you partly answered a question I have pertaining to why used Jornada 720\728 maintain such a high resell price, given the keyboard size which does not work as well for users with large hands like mine. I don't use my 680 much since I bought a 790. I figured Jornada quality was one reason. Now, I realize the bootloader capability makes me want a 720!

All my desktop and portatop (notebook) PCs are running Linux (Mandriva & Knoppix) already and the BE300 maybe soon. BE enthusiasts have been active with the Linux project for a few years.

---Bruised
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 12:09 AM
#
H/PC Elder

bruisedquasar - 2005-08-20 9:32 AM
I think you partly answered a question I have pertaining to why used Jornada 720\728 maintain such a high resell price . . . Now, I realize the bootloader capability makes me want a 720!

Seriously, what is the percentage of 720/728 owners that have actually used Linux? Significant enough to drive its resale value so high? I don't think so. You are the first and only person I met that wants to buy a 720 just to run Linux, afaik anyway.

In case you haven't noticed, this site added a new forum section just for Linux on HPCs not that long ago. As far as I can tell, people generally do it for fun, or at best use it as a supplement to the HPC system.

Edited by takwu 2005-08-21 12:11 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 6:25 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2005-08-21 6:09 AM

bruisedquasar - 2005-08-20 9:32 AM
I think you partly answered a question I have pertaining to why used Jornada 720\728 maintain such a high resell price . . . Now, I realize the bootloader capability makes me want a 720!

Seriously, what is the percentage of 720/728 owners that have actually used Linux? Significant enough to drive its resale value so high? I don't think so. You are the first and only person I met that wants to buy a 720 just to run Linux, afaik anyway.

well i met another person who just wanted linux / netbsd on it! and i'm 99,99% sure they're not the same person

i never used linux, anyway... except for some minutes with knoppix
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.242 - Cached queries : 8 - Executed queries : 63