x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

[REQ:USA] looking for a netbook or...

1 2 3
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-18 12:46 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Im looking for a netbook or a windows XP laptop that is working so i can sync and install software onto my palmtops. Im having no luck finding much under $50. I didnt know if anyone had an old working XP laptop (the battery doesnt have to work). All i plan on doing with it is running Activesync of whatever software works best for installing software onto my palmtops.

I know this isnt a palmtop request/sale but it has to do with palmtops as i gotta be able to install certain software onto my palmtops and not all of the software is in .cab for. Lots of .exe files for the software i need to install.

Thanks ya'll

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-18 4:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I’d try to just look around for any old computer. Even a computer that came with Windows Vista or Windows 7 should allow you to install windows xp.

Just be patient I’m sure something will come up in your area
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2024-02-18 5:39 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I just checked eBay, there are tons there for sub-50usd.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-18 6:51 AM
#
H/PC Elite

^ Working ? With HD etc ? Most ive found under that mark are "for parts", no HD, no AC adaptor etc. Then ya add $20+ shipping.

I found an old Compaq laptop that i dont have a PS for, dont know if it still works. But for $16 i ordered the AC unit for it. Its a HP/Compaq 6510b. Has a Centrino Duo Intel processor, 1gb of ram, I put a 60gb SSD in it. Came with XP but the HD had died but if it works when i get the AC unit, i can install windows XP and off and running i go. :-) But i dont know if the laptop works or not.

My buddy is gonna give me an XP laptop as well but the screen doesnt work, so i gotta find a monitor to use. LOL!

It seems like me and having a XP computer are just not meant to be right now, hopefully down the road that changes 1 :-)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-18 8:53 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

If you have a Goodwill in your area, I highly recommend hitting them up for monitors... I've found stuff very well priced there.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2024-02-18 7:34 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

WallyB110 - 2024-02-18 1:51 AM

^ Working ? With HD etc ? Most ive found under that mark are "for parts", no HD, no AC adaptor etc. Then ya add $20+ shipping.

Yes just gotta keep looking.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2024-02-18 9:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Just a reminder to please use the 'eBay link' button to post links to items on eBay. It's free and helps support our site. (I've edited your link, HPC:Fan.)
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2024-02-18 10:32 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2024-02-18 4:40 PM

Just a reminder to please use the 'eBay link' button to post links to items on eBay.

I really did try, Geek. I'm just not sure which part of the URL I should use. I tried twice then gave up and just posted directly. Sorry.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-19 12:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yeah I had trouble too. I just find the item number of the listing and click the eBay box and paste it there
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-19 4:47 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Well i am waiting for an AC adaptor for this Compaq/HP 6510b. Im not sure if this laptop works or not. But i had a HD and ram that fit it, $13 shipped for the AC adaptor was too much of a bait click for me. But if the laptop does NOT work, ill def have to start looking again. So appreciate the links above and any help. I should have the AC adaptor by this weekend for this Compaq/HP unit.

Wasnt a CHEAP laptop when it was new by anymeans, even has finger reader on it for a Computer that came with XP.

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2 x 2 GHz (Intel Core 2 Duo)
Graphics adapter Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) X3100 - 128 MB VRAM
Display 14.10 inch 16:10, 1280 x 800 pixel
Mainboard Intel 945GM
1gb of ram (I think it may take 2gb, if so i will upgrade it, i have the ram) came with 256mb i think.
60gb SSD (I have a few small SSD's i bought when they were on sale years ago, from 60gb-120gb).)

The only and i mean only thing this laptop will be used for is hooking up my palmtops to backup, install etc software with. So these specs are more than adequate to run Active Sync 3.8. Which is the version i plan on using. Theres no serial port on the laptop, but i have a Serial to USB adaptor. It does have a PCMCIA slot which actually is a HUGE bonus imho. The laptop has a SD card reader as well. So when i get my 4 in one CF to USB card reader for the computer, ill have CF, SD and PCMCIA covered and for me thats all i need. I can install software from .exe files using the computer, or transferring files without active sync even being needed.

Fingers are crossed, I got this laptop im discussing above for free. It was used by a salesman but the laptop looks like its new condition wise. It just had teh HD removed. It had ram in it but i think it was just a 256mb if my memory serves me correctly, maybe 512mb. But i know it at least takes 1gb and i have plenty of ram laying around.

Anyone have any experience with this laptop ?

By the way i get more A-11 units to repair this week to keep me busy as well as the 690 im putting Linux on. The 680e is gonna have pocketDOS with 6.22 installed. But i need to purchase the program, so im waiting to hear back. I emailed him a day or two ago.

Keep posting links, as i said im not 100% sure this laptop will even fire up haha. So having some links to go off may end up really working out. But wish me luck.

-Walt

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-19 5:21 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

You’re going through all of this effort to install
Windows XP to transfer host installers. The first one you told me about let me get cabs just by extracting via 7zip. Have you tried that with the other host installers?
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-19 6:50 AM
#
H/PC Elite

^ Yes haha. Hey its the Winter here and im busy with this and not a bottle. I would rather waste my time with computers than go back to drinking ;-)

Heres a video of someone taking apart this model laptop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evIgKrD5-dY

Luckily there is EASY access to the HD and Ram on the bottom of the unit. I have NOT had to take mine apart (Yet). Im hoping i dont have to. Ac Adaptor left CA today so should be here by Sat or Mon the latest. But i saw this video and thought id show ya what im working with.

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-19 7:00 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

WallyB110 - 2024-02-18 11:50 PM

^ Yes haha. Hey its the Winter here and im busy with this and not a bottle. I would rather waste my time with computers than go back to drinking ;-)

hahah I'm not mad.

Okay, as long as you tried, I'm happy.

Now back to Windows XP fun..

Did you try running the host installers through this too?

https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtract2

Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-19 7:51 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Anyone seen this ? I ordered one last night and now its out of stock.

https://shop.m5stack.com/products/m5stack-cardputer-kit-w-m5stamps3?variant=44078073872641¤cy=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

Has IRDA on it ! That made me buy it. Also for $29 ! Another project ! YAY!!!!

Description
Cardputer is a card-sized portable computer that is perfect for engineers. At the heart of Cardputer is the M5StampS3, a mini development board based on the ESP32-S3 chip. Cardputer features a powerful dual-core processor, supports Wi-Fi functionality and integrates various peripherals and sensors, making it ideal for rapid functional verification, industrial control and home automation systems.

The 56-key keyboard and 1.14" TFT screen allow users to easily enter and view information. The on-board SPM1423 digital MEMS microphone and built-in speaker enable voice operations such as recording, wake-up and audio playback. The infrared emitter allows infrared control interaction with external devices such as TVs or air conditioners. And Cardputer offers a HY2.0-4P interface for expanding I2C sensors such as temperature and humidity sensors, light sensors and pressure sensors, which allows users to add different functional modules according to their needs and unleash their creativity. Cardputer also includes a Micro SD card slot for expanding storage space. Users can store program code, data files, images, audio and other resources on the Micro SD card.

The device is powered by an internal 120mAh+1400mAh (in the base) lithium battery solution, eliminating concerns about battery life. In addition, Cardputer has built-in battery charging and voltage regulation circuits that automatically adjust voltage and current to protect the battery and the device. The base of the Cardputer incorporates a magnet, allowing it to be attached to metal surfaces such as fridges or whiteboards. What’s more, Cardputer's structure is compatible with Lego hole extensions, allowing users to create even more interesting designs using Lego bricks.

Features
M5StampS3 Microcontroller.
56 key keyboard.
1.14 Inch TFT Screen.
Cavity speaker and SPM1423 digital MEMS microphone.
Infrared emission tube is used for infrared control interaction.
HY2.0-4P port for connecting and expanding I2C sensors.
Micro SD card slot for expanding storage space.
The built-in 120mAh and 1400mAh lithium battery in the base provide long battery life.
Base with magnet, compatible with Lego hole expansion.
Includes
1x Cardputer
1x Hex Key
Applications
Fast functional verification and prototyping
Industrial control and automation
Home Control System
Data acquisition and sensor monitoring
Embedded system development and learning
Wireless communication and Internet of Things (IoT) projects
Specification
Resources Parameters
StampS3 ESP32-S3@Xtensa LX7 ,8M-FLASHWIFI,OTG\CDC Function
Battery Capacity 120mAh+1400mAh
Screen ST7789V2@1.14 Inch?240*135px
Infrared emission distance Infrared emission distance (linear distance) of ?180° : 410cm
Infrared emission distance of < 90° : 66cm
Infrared emission distance of < 45° : 170cm
Standby current DC4.2V/0.26uA
Operating current IR emission mode C4.2V/ 255.6mA
Key mode C4.2V/165.7mA
Speaker 8O@1W
Product Size 84*54*17mm
Package Size 149*94*18mm
Product Weight 92.8g
Package Weight 114g

Edited by WallyB110 2024-02-19 8:09 AM
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2024-02-20 3:53 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I have also ordered one of these, not sure what I am going to do with it yet....
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11