x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Kernel ex - info

NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-02-20 12:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Just out of curiosity. This is a question for informational purposes only.
Is an operating system, for example Windows 98SE, with the ex kernel installed able to install device drivers, for example a USB printer that only support Windows 2000 or higher?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-02-20 1:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Doubtful on an API level, and if it were you would have to edit the driver inf anyway.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-20 4:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Wouldn't it be possible to see what standards the printer supports, like PostScript, or the HP equivalent, and seeing if there's a USB driver that supports those and use that?

Here's this reddit thread- but won't help you since they're using the network

Pretty much anything that'll work with a PostScript driver should work. You can use a generic PostScript driver on most printers. If she's okay with monochrome, a used laser printer is the way to go.

I would also aim for a networked printer. You could even have the computer and printer on a crossover connection, if you wanted. This would avoid having to get her machine to work with USB, and would also avoid the hassle of trying to find a parallel port on a more modern printer.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-02-20 11:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Interesting.
As for the programs, can all of them be installed? For example, if you have Windows 2000, could you install, for example, Panda Antivirus which still supports Windows XP? (maybe for Win98SE it would be too much, even if it has this Kernel ex???)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 5:27 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

There's clamwin which supports as far back as Windows 98, but does NOT support realtime scanning. You have to always scan the file

https://clamwin.com/

Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 9:14 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

torch - 2024-02-21 5:27 AM

There's clamwin which supports as far back as Windows 98, but does NOT support realtime scanning. You have to always scan the file

https://clamwin.com/

Yes, I knew about this project. But I think it's abandoned. However, mine was just a question for informational purposes. I don't have any Windows 98SE or 2000 operating systems installed. I was just curious if it was possible to actually install programs that run on XP.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 4:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I understand, my apologies.

I don't know how long it's been since this list was updated, but I found this page for you:
https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/p/list-of-working-windows-98me-kernelex.html

I've noticed documentation of Windows NT series applications on KernelEx 9x has been rather limited. Even the wiki can be more or less lackluster, so I am also making a list for Windows 98/ME's compatibility with KernelEx. Also, individual application compatibility will be documented on another blog.

The main list of items includes anything that works properly and does its job. Programs on older versions of KernelEx should also work on the current versions. As a cautionary action, I would advise using only portable versions of software to avoid potential breaking of the system.

Be sure you have the unofficial Visual C++ 2008 Runtime for Windows 9x installed for best compatibility results! The VC++ 6.0 Runtime and DirectX 9 is also essential!

Settings Used:
**KernelEx 4.5.2 + KernelEx 24 Updates
**Kstub822
**Visual C++ 2008 Runtime
**NET Framework 2.0
**DirectX 9
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 12:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

A thousand thanks. Very interesting.