x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

When, where and what

WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 12:01 AM
#
H/PC Elite

When/where and what model was the first CE device you saw in person and what model was the first you bought for yourself ?

I saw my first CE device at my friends house, his dad had gotten one for him for Xmas. Was a Compaq C120 and he had a 14.4 modem for it and the docking station. Whole setup. I was blown away. Id seen Psion units and Sharp units but not a CE device. I was blown away, just seeing the start menu bar on a portable device like that was enough to get me excited.

About 6 mo's later, Philips had a sale on Velo 1 with free CE 2.0 upgrade and 8mb ram modules with it and i had the docking station and everything that went with it. I loved my Velo but the hinge within 3-4 mos started to go and then it broke. Philips wouldnt fix it (have not bought another philips product since, not kidding.). I was able to kinda fix it, but it was enough to make me sell it for what i could get and i spent some of that $ on a HP 300LX (was a store model) on sale for like $179 at the time. Was when Computer City was going out of business. Other than lacking a backlight, that was the unit that got me into HP models. Overall im NOT a fan of HP stuff. But their palmtops are a different story.

But id love to hear some of your stories ;-)

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 12:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

First one I saw was the Casio A-10 at a computer show (when it first came out in 1996). First one I bought was an HP Jornada 680 (used on eBay in 2005). The rest is history.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 12:33 AM
#
H/PC Elite

So you and i both saw the same model (basically) as the Compaq C120 is the same unit as a Casio A-10 CE, the first time we saw one of these.

:-)

I just recently rebuilt a Casio A-10, im looking for a 2mb module for it or i am getting a PCMCIA adaptor and selling it with a 4mb CF card. Im not selling this unit without more memory, what can ya really do with 2mb ? Even on these machines. But i was blown away how good of shape it was in. I dont think the person who sold it to me had used it much. Looked like a unit that was put away right after they got it and never used.

What made you get the Jornada model you have and why did ya wait so long to finally get one ? Just curious, i have no self control haha, so when i saw my buddies i was like "Got to have it" , i need i need, i want i want, gimmi gimmi gimmi. HAHA!

Up until recently one of my main Palmtops i used was a A-11+ which is 4mb version of the A-10 with a 2mb ram module and Windows CE 2.0. I had a 32mb CF (PCMCIA to CF) memory card in it. I have two of these machines but i only used the Casio one i rebuilt. The other is the Compaq version. I really like the Casio/Compaq models from this era. :-)

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 12:40 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I was fascinated with Windows CE from the beginning, but I couldn't see spending upwards of 700 USD on something whose usefulness I still wasn't sure of. But having had a Pocket PC already and finding out it was based on CE renewed my interest in the core OS. And when I found an H/PC on eBay for less than a tenth of that 700 USD, I knew it was time. (I bought an LG Phenom H-120 right after that for about 30 USD, and it actually arrived before the 680.)
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 12:44 AM
#
H/PC Elite

^ I had a LG at one point, i liked it. I think i may have some parts and the shell to the LG unit still haha.

Love hearing everyones stories :-)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 8:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

A 320lx in Autumn 2000 for both.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 7:04 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I stumbled across HPCs online in 2005. I was using an iPAQ/bluetooth keyboard combo and wanted to find something with more screen real estate. Somehow I had completely missed HPCs to that point. I finally settled on a Compaq Aero 8000. I used it for several years, then moved on to MobilePros (790 & 880) and eventually to the Jornada 720 that I'm using today. IIRC, I think my Aero 8000 ended up with CE Geek.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 7:11 PM
#
H/PC Elite

^ I plan on getting a 720 or 728 in the future. :-)

I owned a few different NEC units. I had a Mobilepro 400, 450. I would of kept the 450 if i could have found the rom upgrade for CE 2.0. I have not been able to find it so i sold a like new 450 with docking etc :-( . I also had a 7xx series and a 9xx series models, i liked them a lot. But i dig the size of the HP units. Theres only a few palmtops ive never owned, as in recent years ive been able to get ahold of a lot of units that back in the day i couldnt afford new etc.

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-02-23 3:21 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I saw a Compaq iPaq at a place I used to go. That was my first Windows CE machine I saw. The first Windows CE machine was a Cassiopeia E-700WE circa 2002, and the first Handheld PC was Sigmarion 1. I used to host a website on it using CEHTTP back in early 2000's.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2024-02-23 4:17 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

WallyB110 - 2024-02-21 7:01 PM

hinge within 3-4 mos started to go and then it broke.

Incidentally, the Velo 1 was also my first WinCE device I got in 2000. The hinge? Yes, it was also broke!

I liked the look and feel of it, the keyboard wasn't the greatest IMO.

Second device ever was a Compaq C120 if I'm not 100% mistaken. I remember really wanting one when I first saw it in a magazine! The little thumb indent always appealed to me lol

Since then, I've just fallen down the handheld rabbit hole! So many devices, each unique in their own way. From WinCe to Psion, to Palm and others like Oregon Scientific. I have no way of remembering them all.
 Top of the page
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2024-02-23 7:00 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I saw the Sharp Mobilon 4500(and got to know WinCE) on the web and acquired it from an eBay seller in 2000. It was a good buy for only$70 and those days the exchange rate was 1$ to 3.5Myr. It lasted me about 4 years after the battery pack lost juice and the touch screen faded out. Tried to look for replacement parts but in vain.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-23 7:45 AM
#
H/PC Elite

^ If ya still have the unit and need a screen, i am pretty sure i have a working 4500 or maybe its a 4600 screen. I also have a battery pack i rebuilt. Just incase ya sstill had the unit and needed those parts. Ya dont see Sharp parts as much as ya tent do see HP and NEC. Thats why when i got the 4100 in the box with everything, i bought it with a broken 4100. Now i have backup incase something fails. Same thing i did when i bought the 4500 or 4600 i have, i bought extra parts. Its amazing how reliable and well built some of these were and how terribly built others were "out of the box", ive found a lot of these issues are easily repairable to an extent, but thats if the damage hasnt already been done. This is a reason i rebuild so many C120, 140, A-10 and A-11 Casio and Compaq models. If ya catch them before the hinge goes out, they are better than new when your done putting it back together. Especially with the Velo1 if ya catch it in time, you can fix it better than new. But its catching it at the right time.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9