x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 12:26 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi there ya'll. Im messing with PocketDOS and im trying to get it to load Kings Quest. But when i go into the dir/folder, it doesnt show the .bat files. But they are in the folder (i can see them in windows). Why cant i see all the files in the folder in DOS ? Whats the trick here to run DOS software ?

Edited by WallyB110 2024-02-24 12:32 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 2:25 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Which DOS image are you using?
After you install PocketDOS, you’re given the option for which DOS version you want to install afterward
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 3:25 AM
#
H/PC Elite

6.22 i think
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 3:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 4:15 AM
#
H/PC Elite

How can i tell which version of DOS i have ? im just double checking i have 6.22 (like i think installed). But in DOS i can not see all the files even after tryin those commands in that link you send. This is weird
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 4:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Type “ver” without quotes
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 4:25 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok here is what it says when i type Ver.

4DOS 7.50 DOS 7.10

I just sent the $20 to him for the license so im using FreeDOS right now, is that why im having issues ? Do i need the full version unlocked to run this correctly ?

Edited by WallyB110 2024-02-24 4:26 AM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 5:20 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok i managed to figure out how to boot off the 6.22 disk. So im booted in 6.22 so thats a plus. I tried running Kings Quest and it starts and then sends me back to command line. What is a simple game that will DEF work on this ? I am just trying to get anything running thru DOS right now and i feel like im pulling teeth and once again, eve nwith those commands in that link, its still not showing me all the files.

Heres the screen i get after trying to load Kings Quest 2

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 8:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

WallyB110 - 2024-02-23 10:20 PM

Ok i managed to figure out how to boot off the 6.22 disk. So im booted in 6.22 so thats a plus. I tried running Kings Quest and it starts and then sends me back to command line. What is a simple game that will DEF work on this ? I am just trying to get anything running thru DOS right now and i feel like im pulling teeth and once again, eve nwith those commands in that link, its still not showing me all the files.

Heres the screen i get after trying to load Kings Quest 2

It looks like you're trying to go off of the FreeDOS image.

You need to probably delete FreeDOS and start from scratch with this tutorial
http://www.mediator-software.com/pocketdos/tutorial_msdos_ins.htm

That gives exact directions on how to install MSDOS 6.22

That said, I would again temper expectations, I don't know how graphics intensive games run here, so your results may vary
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-03 10:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok im unsure why this is happening. I install the full version of PocketDOS. But when i go to the folder it says FreeDOS. What am i doing wrong here. ?

Even in the installer. When i have the check boxes show which DOS operating systems. In that list is just FreeDOS and a few other things but nothing that says FULL version. When i get he key for this, do i need to install anything else ? Just making sure because i had to give him a number from my PocketDOS start up screen so he can get me a code.

Just making sure ive done everything right.

When i go to click unlock and type the code in, what happens next ? Im not sure what i do. I dont hae the code yet, so theres no rush for an answer but im still scratching my head.

Do i reinstall it and enter the registration code in the setup on my desktop and itll install the full thing ? I see that it says "if you have registered pocketdos enter your unlock key here. When i type that in will it then give me more options of things to install ?

Edited by WallyB110 2024-03-03 11:04 PM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-03 11:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok i figured out what im doing wrong. Where do i get these three DOS622.ima files ? In the tutorial it says i need to have these 3 files. Right now i just have the evaluation version of MSdos622 running. So this has been where my issues are.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-03 11:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

OK i downloaded from archive ms dos 6.22 and its the 3 dsk files. So now i need to run the first disk of this from inside pocketdos ? Then follow the tutorial the rest of the way. ? Correct. Just double checking. I have not messed with PocketDOS in 20+ years so this all new to me the installation and what not and getting it setup all the way.

Edit:

Well that didnt work. I loaded the image and it ran setup and it says to insert disk into A: and restart computer. How do i put these 3 .img files into my a: drive so when i reboot itll find the files ?

Edit 2:

Ok i got the disk img setup for A: and ran disk1.img and i run setup and it loads blue screen but says cant install here. Will install on disks. Then it starts to load and gets 24% and asks me to insert a blank disk and but i cant. I think this is NOT how im suppose to do this but im really lost here. THis should be so simple but im brain farting bad. I may do a video showing exactly what im doing just so you guys see what im trying to do and maybe can help me get there.

Edited by WallyB110 2024-03-03 11:49 PM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 12:02 AM
#
H/PC Elite

WAit ! I got it !!!! YES !!!!! THank you for all your help and patience and sorry im posting like a mad man. I think i have it now. I created the C: partition. Formatted it. Ran setup. It sees the C:. Now its installing ! WOOT WOOT !

OK im at the part where it says to type
COPY A:\DOS\*.* C:\DOS
at the C: prompt

But for some reason none of my / or \ keys work. Is this because its the evaluation version ? Once i unlock it, the access to these keys will start ? Im just not sure what im doing wrong here.

Also can i see this C: drive in Windows CE ? Im just curious if i need dsk image files to load software ? Or can i copy and paste stuff in Windows to my C: drive ? I dont see it in Windows tho. So im taking a guess no.

Edit

I downloaded tetris disk img. I ran it and it runs, slow but it runs. Now im in search of some older games to try. I tried Oregon Trail but the version i found was for Windows. But i successfully got a DOS program working !!!!!!!!!!

But the / and \ keys dont work in DOS. Must be because i dont have it unlocked yet ? Im not sure.

Edited by WallyB110 2024-03-04 12:54 AM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 1:39 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Now that i have DOS running. What are some DOS games and Programs that run decently well on these ?

This Command:

SETSCRN DSA ON

Helped with the jittery graphics for sure.

Im gonna make a CF card of just DOS disk images of programs and games. Where to begin ! ? :-)
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 3:54 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Heres a quick video showing DOS installed and some other stuff. :-)

https://youtu.be/ewROvfd2Fsc

DOS ! :-) its working

Big shout out to everyone who helped and i hope my experience can help someone else out down the road. Def gotta get a list of games that will run well to make a CF card of. This is really cool having DOS on this unit. :-)
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8