x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 3:58 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

WallyB110 - 2024-03-03 5:02 PM

WAit ! I got it !!!! YES !!!!! THank you for all your help and patience and sorry im posting like a mad man. I think i have it now. I created the C: partition. Formatted it. Ran setup. It sees the C:. Now its installing ! WOOT WOOT !

OK im at the part where it says to type
COPY A:\DOS\*.* C:\DOS
at the C: prompt

But for some reason none of my / or \ keys work. Is this because its the evaluation version ? Once i unlock it, the access to these keys will start ? Im just not sure what im doing wrong here.

Also can i see this C: drive in Windows CE ? Im just curious if i need dsk image files to load software ? Or can i copy and paste stuff in Windows to my C: drive ? I dont see it in Windows tho. So im taking a guess no.

Edit

I downloaded tetris disk img. I ran it and it runs, slow but it runs. Now im in search of some older games to try. I tried Oregon Trail but the version i found was for Windows. But i successfully got a DOS program working !!!!!!!!!!

But the / and \ keys dont work in DOS. Must be because i dont have it unlocked yet ? Im not sure.

functionality should be identical between trial and licensed versions other than that time delay on the trial. So your slash issue would be the “same” as the full version. I’m not exactly sure what’s going on there

Games will be slow if they’re too new. You need to find games that only use a 8086,186, or 286 real mode processor only.
The websites should show you what the game will requirements are.

This isn’t scientific but I’m guessing most games before 1992 or so should work depending on how intensive they are
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 4:06 AM
#
H/PC Elite

torch - 2024-03-04 3:58 AM

WallyB110 - 2024-03-03 5:02 PM

WAit ! I got it !!!! YES !!!!! THank you for all your help and patience and sorry im posting like a mad man. I think i have it now. I created the C: partition. Formatted it. Ran setup. It sees the C:. Now its installing ! WOOT WOOT !

OK im at the part where it says to type
COPY A:\DOS\*.* C:\DOS
at the C: prompt

But for some reason none of my / or \ keys work. Is this because its the evaluation version ? Once i unlock it, the access to these keys will start ? Im just not sure what im doing wrong here.

Also can i see this C: drive in Windows CE ? Im just curious if i need dsk image files to load software ? Or can i copy and paste stuff in Windows to my C: drive ? I dont see it in Windows tho. So im taking a guess no.

Edit

I downloaded tetris disk img. I ran it and it runs, slow but it runs. Now im in search of some older games to try. I tried Oregon Trail but the version i found was for Windows. But i successfully got a DOS program working !!!!!!!!!!

But the / and \ keys dont work in DOS. Must be because i dont have it unlocked yet ? Im not sure.

functionality should be identical between trial and licensed versions other than that time delay on the trial. So your slash issue would be the “same” as the full version. I’m not exactly sure what’s going on there

Games will be slow if they’re too new. You need to find games that only use a 8086,186, or 286 real mode processor only.
The websites should show you what the game will requirements are.

This isn’t scientific but I’m guessing most games before 1992 or so should work depending on how intensive they are

Yeah im not trying to play graphic intensive games by any means. Simple games to pass the time, like Oregon Trail haha. :-)

Yeah i have NO idea why the / dont work. They did work with PocketDOS evaluation version of ROMDOS 6.22U. But i installed msDOS 6.22 and created the partition and it installed perfectly once i found out what i was doing wrong. But when it got to the DOS prompt in the installed (newly) 6.22, i can type a /. Its not my keyboard. Im curious if theres one more trick im missing to get the keyboard to work fully ?

Either way its ok. I can still load dsk imgs easy enough with out the / but obviously there are certain commands that require the backslash ya know. So im kinda limited. But im just happy to be able to load software thats outside of just CE as it feels very limited. Plus i get to go backwards in time, i love getting back into DOS. I grew up and learned on DOS machines. But im very rusty same with Basic. I feel like Ozzy ! Cant remember stuff.

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 4:08 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Are you sure the MSDOS image you found is English - United States. Sometimes other dos versions for different versions have different keyboard mapping for the slash keys

Can you try the freedos 1.0 image? Maybe you’ll have better luck ?
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 4:11 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Its def English version, says it in the readme. In Freedos the / works. Just wierd. Ill have to look thru the software and see if theres something i need to change. Appreciate all the help :-)

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 4:14 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

No I realize that but is it English US or English U.K./ international ?
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 4:18 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Ahhhhh good call lemmi see if i can find that out
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 9:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

^ I had heard back from the guy for PocketDOS and i sent him the $20 and i was having issues with it at the time. But now im ready to unlock it. I emailed him the system ID which he needed to generate a key. But i have not heard back from him since last week. I sent him another email yesterday, but still no response. Anyone else waiting to hear back from him ? Just hoping to get this soon.

But when i reinstalled PocketDOS when i was having issues the system ID # changed. So i just emailed him with the new System ID #. I didnt mean to complicate things, had no idea reinstalling it would change that #.

Fingers crossed im not driving this guy nuts, but def cant wait to have the full version so i dont keep getting this demo pause thing going on.

Edited by WallyB110 2024-03-04 10:20 PM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 10:22 PM
#
H/PC Elite

To go with ^

What happens if i have to reinstall PocketDOS in the future ? Or my unit loses its memory ? Do i just contact him again with the new System ID # and he'll give me a new code ? I dont want to drive this person nuts bugging them. So i wanted to ask here first. But i had already emailed him a System ID # and now that # changed when i reinstalled it. So as i said above i emailed him with the new sytem ID #. Fingers crossed i hear from him soon.

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 10:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

WallyB110 - 2024-03-04 3:22 PM

To go with ^

What happens if i have to reinstall PocketDOS in the future ? Or my unit loses its memory ? Do i just contact him again with the new System ID # and he'll give me a new code ? I dont want to drive this person nuts bugging them. So i wanted to ask here first. But i had already emailed him a System ID # and now that # changed when i reinstalled it. So as i said above i emailed him with the new sytem ID #. Fingers crossed i hear from him soon.

Was was your "Owner Name" in the Windows CE control panel different than what it is now?

That would be a different system ID then

Once you have the key, PocketDOS is forever yours

Edited by torch 2024-03-04 10:37 PM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-04 10:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I still have the same owner name. But the system ID # changed when i reinstalled PocketDOS. As i said i emailed him the new system ID #. Just waiting to hear back. I noticed the ID # had changed when i ran PocketDOS after the reinstallation and it pops up with the loading (demo) screen.

Edited by WallyB110 2024-03-04 10:41 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-06 4:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

The system ID shouldn’t change upon reinstall. It should be exactly the same. Assuming it’s the same device / rom / same owner name even down to spaces / case sensitive.

As I recall, mine stayed the same too.

Also I found a DOS 6.22 guide
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18962&start=1
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-06 8:15 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I was able to get it unlocked finally the other day, so im good to go with PocketDOS now. But when i reinstalled PocketDOS the system ID # changed. Dont ask me how ! lol

Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 8