x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Packaging the app in vs2005 to deploy it on the imx287 board

nikoloz Page Icon Posted 2024-03-10 8:21 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, dear community members!

I have made some test application in vs2005 for netcf2.0 wince6.0 to run on ARMV4i imx287 board.
vs2005 connects with the board and deploys the application without big issues.
But now my objective is to make a Package. More specific, I tried to make the so called "cab"(cabinet) file, to transfer it onto the board, and then tapping on the copied file, that is supposed to make the file "explode" in other words to get the test application installed on the board I am targeting.
vs2005 makes it possible to accomplish all packaging work in vs2005 IDE.
First off I added the 'Smart Device Cab Project' to my existing solution, then I added the device project application to the CAB project, next I built the CAB file and expected it to be created in the 'Release' folder.
But the 'Release' folder have not been created! Though, in my Device Project directory I noticed the file:
'Smart Device Cab1' (Visual Studio for Devices Deployment Project), which I acknowledged as the desired '*.cab' file. Then with means of VS2005 tool 'Remote file viewer' I transferred it to the board and in the CER host clicked on it.
The SmartDeviceCab1 window popped up and notified me: There is no application associated with Smart Device Cab 1.
Run the application first, then open this file from the within the application.
In the project folder of the development PC I notice the folder Debug, in which I found Smart Device Cab1 win rar archive. Also other files related to the cab project.
What can I do with that? Could anyone kindly take me to understanding, the right approach to the issue? Which kind of file will initiate the installation of my test application on the board?

Faithfully.

(10.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 10.JPG (75KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-03-11 7:56 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Silly question, but is there a screen on your ARMV4i imx287 board?
If not, attach the screen, or no output will be shown. (Unless you are playing a sound or something)

I don't really know the specs of your board so I can't help a lot, but if there is a way to double click or tap the .cab on the imx287 board? (assuming that the ARM V4 is the target from VS2005) If so, it should run.

Common things that may cause your app to not run may be that there are missing dll files. Try checking those, and maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will help you.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2024-03-11 7:57 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-11 8:18 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

stingraze - 2024-03-11 12:56 AM

Silly question, but is there a screen on your ARMV4i imx287 board?
If not, attach the screen, or no output will be shown. (Unless you are playing a sound or something)

I don't really know the specs of your board so I can't help a lot, but if there is a way to double click or tap the .cab on the imx287 board? (assuming that the ARM V4 is the target from VS2005) If so, it should run.

Common things that may cause your app to not run may be that there are missing dll files. Try checking those, and maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will help you.

-stingraze

Stingraze, my memory is foggy, but I was under the impression that there was some kind of service for the act of "installing cab files", and certain builds of CE didn't include them. -I think I recall cmonex or others talking about it I don't remember if it was called wceload or something like that?

Perhaps their board's CE build doesn't include it?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-03-11 11:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

@torch

Yes, I think so too. Maybe there’s an option to include those missing files in the cab. My experience was compiling VB.net on my Visual Studio 2005 long time ago for Windows Mobile 5, to make a search app (just a browser that points to a site). I think it’s different situation to use it with a dev board. My thought was that Platform Builder is more suitable tool than Visual Studio… but not sure.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2024-03-11 11:14 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-12 4:57 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Or idea number two:

@nikoloz : are you able to just build the project as an .exe instead and just run it that way if your device doesn't support cabs?
 Top of the page
nikoloz Page Icon Posted 2024-03-31 3:31 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,
Sorry for the late reply!
I connect with my imx287 board with CER Host. This enables me to interact with the device, see and click objects on its taskbar, copy and paste the files on the device. Once the ping from my laptop succeeds to the device, then I click on the CER Host, and connect the device. The cab file I am on, was transferred to the device with means of VS2005 utility 'Remote File Viewer'. Then I returned to the CER Host, displayed the task bar of the device, entered my device, proceeded to the already copied cab file, and tapped on it. Though it responded, that there is no matching program to open the file. Install the program first, then try to open the file. It did not handle like the cab file, rather the file of unknown program.
 Top of the page
nikoloz Page Icon Posted 2024-03-31 3:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you very much!
I'll give it a good shot!
Creating an exe file, then transferring to my imx287 device, and trying to launch it seems a good idea!
I'll write later about the outcome!
 Top of the page
nikoloz Page Icon Posted 2024-03-31 4:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dear torch,

Inside the Build menu of VS2005, there are several sub menus:

Build Solution
Rebuild Solution
Deploy Solution
Clean Solution

Build Test Smart Device packaging
Rebuild Test Smart Device packaging
Deploy Test smart device packaging
Clean Test smart device packaging

Batch Build
Configuration Manager.

I have already run the menu 'Build Solution' successfully, which added in the Solution Explorer 'Primary output from Test Smart device packaging (Active) '

Which menu should I run to get the exe file?

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-31 4:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

nikoloz - 2024-03-31 9:28 AM

Which menu should I run to get the exe file?

It should be in some sort of ARM folder within the folder of the project/solution files. Be it in /My Documents, or wherever you opened the project from. Try searching for .exes within that particular folder
 Top of the page
nikoloz Page Icon Posted 2024-03-31 5:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dear torch,

I found the exe file in Visual Studio 2005/Projects/Test Smart Device packaging/Test Smart Device packaging/bin/Debug. It is named Test smart device packaging.exe application file of 6 kB.

Has it been created upon I ran the menu 'Build Solution'?
Am I supposed to copy this exe file to my device, and try to run it double tapping on the exe?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-31 5:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Correct. Try copying to device and running that exe
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2024-04-01 4:15 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

Did you add the wceload module to your PB image?
 Top of the page
nikoloz Page Icon Posted 2024-04-07 10:25 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dear torch,

I copied the 'Test smart device.exe' application file onto my device. First I extracted the SD off my inx287 device, inserted it into the card reader, connected to my laptop and found the 'Debug' folder which contained two files: 'Test smart device packaging.exe' and 'Test smart device packaging.pdb' files. I copied the 'Debug' folder onto the SD card. And then inserted back the SD card into the device. Then I re-powered the device and established the connection with ethernet cable, launched the CER-host, found the 'Test smart device.exe' file and clicked on it supposing it should launch this test application, though it did not launch, nor any warning windows popped up. Then I tried to launch it from 'Run' menu, though it did not help. After I copied the 'Debug' folder with the application into Windows folder on the device and tried to launch it again, though it did not.
Could anyone kindly take me to understanding, what could be done with this? What kind of undertakings could supposedly reveal the crux of the issue?
 Top of the page
nikoloz Page Icon Posted 2024-04-07 10:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

H/PC Elite,
"Did you add the wceload module to your PB image?"

No I did not. What is PB image? What is wceload?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11