x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Hide console output - help

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-15 6:22 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'd like to hide the output from the console when my 6651 boots and runs my version of autoexec.bat

I tried > null to redirect the output of each line to nowhere, didn't work.
Is there a command to disable the console at the beginning of my file then reenable it at the end?

DOS has something, mode con tty or mode con nul or something like that IIRC.

edit. I have used @ as the beginning of each line to hide the output from the line, but I want something better.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-15 6:29 PM
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-15 11:39 PM
#
I think in batch files you can do a little line like

@ECHO OFF

or something...that should disable what comes up in the command prompt, but I dunno if it will keep command promt from actually coming up.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 12:25 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Thanks Bob, I tried that. @ at the start of each line hides that line. I'm hoping to completely hide the console so nobody can see it. Then my 6651 boots clean with all the needed apps running, like *magic*.

BTW, I've saved sooo much ram moving programs to cf. I didn't think I could get calligrapher/bugme/ceagenda/tapright/soundwidget/wrtools to run at boot without error messages from a cf card, but they all run fine.

With a minor tweak I can boot right into ps2005 (on cf) . That's great when driving . If I have any problems I just soft-rest and I boot right into ps2005. No fiddling or distractions.

Here's hoping someone has the answer
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 12:39 AM
#
Hmmm...maybe having it call cmd.exe or whatever and then using other strings having it call the batch file might do the trick...

http://www.itauthor.com/notes/archives/2005/05/running_a_batch.html

That is pretty much what you want to do (I think) and the only real part you need (or can, because it's not for PDAs) pay attention to is the line:

C:\Program Files\NirCmd\NirCmd.exe exec hide "C:\Documents and Settings\Alistair\Desktop\helpfile.bat"

In PDA standards I guess that would be

\Windows\cmd.exe exec hide "\Whereeveryouhavethebatchfile\batfilename.bat"

Hope that helps...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 1:20 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ty Bob, nogo.
I have my answer, CTTY CON & NUL but ce doesn't implement them. Oh well, what I have is darn good, ce boots and there's barely a hint of a batch file running.
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 1:36 AM
#
Sorry I couldn't be of more help to ya..

But if you are just running a bunch of apps and stuff on start up why not just place shortcuts in the startup instead of a batch file...more icons and a little cluttered, but no cmd popping up.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 2:02 AM
#
H/PC Elder

That's what I tried at first with problems. CE on my 6651 runs the shortcuts before the CF card is initiallized and available so there's a whack of error messages doing it that way. Since I have to wait for the cf card putting my batch file on the cf card is the easiest way, and with the exception of cmd appearing for a couple seconds, there's no issues.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 8:45 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

erm, i read once somewhere that someone avoided those error messages successfully by delaying somehow the executing of the shortcuts in the startup folder. i.e. the system had to do something else before trying to execute the shortcuts and by the time CE got there the CF was already initialized. i can't remember now how he did it
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 5:45 PM
#
Maybe telling the device to do something before the other apps that run off the CF card, like tell it to run solitaire or calc or something...but by then you might was well close the dialog box of the cmd instead of wasting more power on starting another app..ho hum, ho hum.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 6:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Cmonex, that was probably me with a test loop in my batchfile. I keep testing for the cf card until it readies, then I run the boot batch file from the cf card. It works well, and I'm happy.

I managed to get everything hidden except for the CMD window. It only appears for two seconds and no commands are echoed to the screen. So I'm happy here, I've taken it as far as it needs to go.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 6:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

no that wasn't you.

well i'd settle for this setup.. 2 seconds is nothing and it closes on its own, right?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 2:40 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes ma'am, under 2 seconds and it plays nice and goes away
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 8