x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC Packing/Moving Tips?

thenzero Page Icon Posted 2024-03-30 6:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Hey guys! I'm gonna be moving pretty soon and I'm looking at my collection of HPCs and related gear and just wondering if anyone has any tips for moving and packing these up so they survive the trip. A lot of the devices may be in a box for up to 4 months.

A few things I've thought of already:
-Devices that have a box will go in the box
-Devices that have a carrying case will go in the case
-Backup batteries (coin cells) should be removed

Some specific questions I've been mulling:
-Should I charge up batteries before storage or leave them as is?
-Better to leave rechargeable batteries in the device or pull them out?
-How should I pack devices that don't have a case or box? Bubble wrap?
-Should I separate cords and power cables by device type? Seems like overkill, but maybe?
-How to pack up loose accessories like PC cards and various dongles and adapters that don't have boxes?

Any and all thoughts and advice welcome!

Incidentally, if you have any tips on transporting antique computers and CRT monitors I'm all ears on that too!

Edited by thenzero 2024-03-30 6:38 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-03-30 6:49 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
If it's 4+ months, I think the rule-of-thumb for li-on batteries is half-charged, and I would pull those batteries. I would pull the rechargeables/coin batts completely.

Having shipped hpcs overseas multiple times; bubble-wrap (or original packaging + bubble wrap) and small boxes, not larger than a case-'o-beer box worked for me. Keeping all together, excluding anything not HPC-related. As for peripherals, bubble wrap also works, and for small peripherals, I've used Altoids tin cans lined with bubble wrap.

Can you tell I've done this before

Since unpacking them might take months after arrival, I would label all the cords (actual labels taped to said cords); you'd be surprised at what you forget. Since the tips matched, I once plugged in an external battery charger cord into my HP Shift x9500 and blew out the device, something I'm still not quite over. Since rubberbands rot, I would bind cables with twisties.

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2024-04-04 2:39 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Thanks Jake! Great tips.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 41 - Executed queries : 29