x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2024-04-01 6:24 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Where did it start for you? Where was the first time you laid eyes on a PDA device (of any sort, but specifically WinCE devices) and what made you want / buy one?

Here's my story. It was probably around 1997 I got MY first computer that was just mine, with dial up and everything! I eventually started using that Microsoft Chat service that ran on IRC. That's basically what I used my computer for 99% of the time, with some light gaming mixed in on the side.

I started getting these neat PC magazines in the mail randomly one day, it taught you how to upgrade your system etc. and one day I was flipping through and I found an ad for I believe a Palm PDA. This intrigued me, I was always into mini-computers like laptops, word processors, graphic calculators etc. so this naturally appealed to me. So naturally this little PC really intrigued me. Shortly thereafter I found "Handheld PC Magazine" which thrust me into a world of awe! So many neat devices, as small as my TI-84 calculator that could send emails, edit documents and store tons of information, wow!

As time went on, I discovered devices that ran Windows! Well, Windows CE but it was Windows! That threw me for a loop, I'd spend my days after school at our local Office Depot with their huge selection of various devices. In 1998 I believe I got to test my first WinCE device, An HP 620! The screen was crisp and clear, and on top of that gorgeous screen I could get online with it if I wanted to! It was even fancier than the space age Psion 5MX with it's sliding keyboard!

I wanted one so badly, I thought "I could go on IRC anywhere I wanted to with this!", amongst other trivial things a late teen absolutely didn't need a handheld for.

It wasn't until 2005 or so where I first got my WinCE handheld. Sure, a little late but I loved it! While I never did go online with it, nor chat on it (I believe Microsoft Chat closed around that time?) I still got to play Solitaire! And I have so many devices now, and it's still not enough!

While I love all handhelds, the WinCE are special to me.

So, fellow handheld nerds where did it all start for you?

Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-04-01 9:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

First unit i saw in person was a 95LX but then i started to see Psion units and Sharp units appear on shelves in more and more places. The first unit i owned that i was really content with was... 360LX and that was prob my 5th PDA i got ? Something like that. I stuck with that til just recently. Ive owned a LOT of different units over the years but i think for the era that the 360LX is from, its the best greyscale CE device. Color is a whole different ball of wax.

Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2024-04-01 10:18 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have an affinity for gray scale units. They're just easier on the eyes (and battery friendly!). Color screens are cool, but the early devices were really "ghosty".
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-04-02 2:46 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
1999 $50usd close-out sale of original Sharp Zaurus 3000 at Staples.

Jake
 Top of the page
ImmyChan Page Icon Posted 2024-04-03 7:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Most handheld PCs are actually older than I am if you can believe it. The thing that made me want to buy one is getting into minimalist devices such as the Remarkable and Freewrite. I would absolutely love to have a miniature disconnected laptop! Soon I'll get my wish since I just ordered a Jornada 720.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2024-04-04 1:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

HPC:Fan's story is almost identical to mine. Right as I was getting a Windows 95 desktop PC in 1997, I started seeing these tiny devices with the same desktop layout, and I was immediately fascinated, though far too poor to buy one for what they were selling for back then, particularly after all I'd just shelled out for that PC. But they kept turning up everywhere in computer shops and shows. Like HPC:Fan, I got my first H/PC in 2005, and the rest is history (or histrionics, as the case may be).
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2024-04-04 6:30 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I started with PDAs.....first a DaVinci, then a Palm m105 from work, then an iPaq 3850. I used folding keyboards with the Palm and iPaq. I started looking for a larger-screen PDA and stumbled across HPCs in 2005. I'd never heard of them and still don't know how I missed them. I bought a Compaq Aero 8000 in 2005 and have had several HPCs since.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.226 - Cached queries : 41 - Executed queries : 33