x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows NT VirtualBox VM File Transfer

torch Page Icon Posted 2024-05-08 7:05 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I'm not asking for someone to do all of the work for me, but is there a guide somewhere on how to do file transfer with VirtualBox running NT4 as a guest with a host running Windows 11?
The shared feature doesn't work - and I'd like to try to get file transfer finally working.
 Top of the page
WinCEDev Page Icon Posted 2024-05-08 8:08 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I know this is not what you are asking, so I apologize if it's not what you're looking for, but have you considered using VMWare Workstation Player instead of VirtualBox?

I found that it tends to work a lot better with legacy OSes like NT 4.0, if I'm not mistaken you can either set up file shares or drag and drop files from the host to the guest and vice versa.

Edited by WinCEDev 2024-05-08 8:09 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-05-08 9:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It is portable with VMWare, just uninstall the VirtualBox guest additions and install VMWare's first.

The easiest thing to do is install SMB 1.0 on Windows 11 from control panel > programs and features > Turn windows features on or off and then share a folder on the VM. You may need to disable SMB message signing if it is enforced.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-05-09 8:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Thanks for both of your help. I will try VM aware if I can’t get virtualbox working.

I assume this is a roughly similar guide I can follow to set up the file transfer ? Obviously after I enable SMB1.0 in optional features.

https://blnlabs.com/advanced-virtualbox-shared-folder/
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-05-09 9:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's all Linux, so unless you're on Linux as the host, it's less complicated, but you do need to take VirtualBox out of bridge mode which i currently have the VM set in for isolation.

Right click c:\winnt\profiles\Administrator and share it. Then in the VM ctrl + alt + del and change the password from blank to something. If you don't currently have SMB signing enforced, it should just work using \\(VM ip)\administrator
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-05-10 6:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I just realised that I've said that backwards, out of NAT mode and into Bridge mode, is what I meant to say.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-05-15 3:39 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Thank you!! That worked
Is there a way to setup the VM so it's not exposed to outside world connections just so I can transfer files via SMB1.0?
^I assume I'd just setup a static IP on the router and then block the internet connection for that particular device?

Edited by torch 2024-05-15 9:12 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-05-15 11:54 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well it wouldn't be exposed to the outside world on your home network, it would be exposed to anything on your home network. You could create a virtualised isolated network for it, but, that's a lot of work. Or you could find a firewall app for it and only alloy inbound from your partner machine IP address.

If you want to stop it getting out to the internet, then that is different and yes you would need to firewall it on your router, or do as above and put it on an isolated network.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.188 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12