x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

OK please help

1 2
DKNJ4Lyfe
DKNJ4Lyfe Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 4:47 PM
#
For some odd reason I post something and then nothing comes up and thats for evry topic.

But look I got my Jornada 680e and I LOVE IT!!!! I changed my background made documents and everything. But nowI find out my mom had a 56k modem I could use and it works but the only thing is is that it says I need a carrier. and my mom says i need a program or something like AOL on it. And Im trying to find the download of AOL 2.0 Beta and I cant find it anywhere. If anyone can tell me what to do PLEASE help me i really would like to get online!!!!!

IS there a download of it that doesnt cost $20?????????
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 5:19 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

What kind of port does the 56k modem use?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 5:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

and what is AOL 2.0 Beta, There are different kinds of AOL products, and this AOL 2.0 Beta, do you want to install on home computer or for Jornada?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 5:41 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

pcmcia?

to the original question: you don't have to use AOL.. find another internet service.
 Top of the page
DKNJ4Lyfe
DKNJ4Lyfe Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 12:04 AM
#
the only internet services I used that used dialup were AOL and Compuserve and AOL 2.0 is for the Windows CE and also i dont know what kind of port it is but II just know i need a carrier.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 6:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No carrier detected on a simple level take it to mean 'no dial tone'.
What ISP are you trying to dial, what numbers are being displayed when you attempt to dial and what is the modem?
 Top of the page
DKNJ4Lyfe
DKNJ4Lyfe Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 12:38 PM
#
Well im dialing up a AOL number but I guess its not working. Any carrier thats free i can use on mym Jornada 680e?
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 12:47 PM
#
DKNJ4Lyfe - 2005-08-17 10:38 AM

Well im dialing up a AOL number but I guess its not working. Any carrier thats free i can use on mym Jornada 680e?

Not as far as I'm aware any more, my friend - the days of free dialup have come and gone. If you have a home DSL/Cable connection, they may offer you a few free hours of dialup each month (my DSL provider gives me 5 free hours of dialup a month) - check with them.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 1:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hum we still have free dial-up service here in hungary. in fact, there are several and no special software is needed..
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 1:23 PM
#
cmonex - 2005-08-17 11:11 AM

hum we still have free dial-up service here in hungary. in fact, there are several and no special software is needed..

You crazy Europeans! I suppose I only speak for Canada (and probably the United States) then.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 2:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Which brings up another good point, that is having a backup ISP.

I normally use Charter.net at home or on the road whereever I can find a LAN. I love high speed broadband, and can't wait for the day when they feed a fiber optic line into my house for 30mb/sec speed.

But there are times when it may be down, or I can't access on the road, so in that case I have a backup ISP.

My backup is a little company here in town called Tucker-USA.com and they support POP3/SMTP protocols and dialup. On my 900C, I only have to hit one button and I dial my 800 toll free number, it inputs my phone card number, pauses, and then dials my dialup account with Tucker. I've used it from Hawaii and St. Thomas/Puerto Rico without any difficulty...though when you go back to 56K, you really appreciate broadband for what it is.

Anyway, my local ISP is only $9 a month for unlimited service, so for only a hundred bucks a year, I'm covered.

Rich
 Top of the page
DKNJ4Lyfe
DKNJ4Lyfe Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 4:35 PM
#
C:Amie - 2005-08-17 6:34 AM

No carrier detected on a simple level take it to mean 'no dial tone'.
What ISP are you trying to dial, what numbers are being displayed when you attempt to dial and what is the modem?

The modem is a 56K Fax Modem v90 its made by Cadmius Micro
 Top of the page
mewiedman Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 9:57 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Take a look at www.budgetdialup.com. They have dial up numbers around the world. You can opt for a monthly fee for unlimited or use a pay as you go system. You don't need any special software, either! I found out about this from a HP200LX forum and have been using it since May successfully.

Good luck!

MEW
 Top of the page
DKNJ4Lyfe
DKNJ4Lyfe Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 11:24 PM
#
Well I was playing around in the car and the dialup thing said the exact same thing I dont think when i was doing it it even detected a dialtone? is there anyway i can find a tutorial to work with?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-09-24 4:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

corporate - 2005-08-17 9:47 AM

DKNJ4Lyfe - 2005-08-17 10:38 AM

Not as far as I'm aware any more, my friend - the days of free dialup have come and gone. If you have a home DSL/Cable connection, they may offer you a few free hours of dialup each month (my DSL provider gives me 5 free hours of dialup a month) - check with them.

I get 20 hours free dialup per month with DSL from my ISP.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 11