x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Restore w/o hard reset 1st?

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-17 4:07 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I've always hard reset before a restore. Am I wasting my time? I just did restores w/o hard resets first and everything seems OK. Old stuff is gone and just the restored stuff is there.

I ask becuase another Ce machine (my Casio IIRC) had to be hard rest before a restore or the restore was cumulative, which was useless. I had the original rubbissh and the new rubbish when I was done. That was using sprite btw.

It seems that my 690 acted the same way. I know if I dumped the sample northwind database then restored an image containing it the database was back. But if I restored an image with the nortwind database missing it was still there when the restore finished.

So, different approaches by differnent makes? I think a cumulative restore is a disaster waiting to happen. What are your experiences?

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-17 4:19 AM
 Top of the page
anakin
anakin Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 5:19 AM
#
I do Hard Reset J690 first before restoring,... I've tried to restore without hard reset it seems just like what you say cumulative restore. Usualy I do this when testing new software or driver, just to avoid any mess I prefer to do hard reset.

The problem is, how is the most simplest way to do hard reset on J690 without removing main and backup battery? Is there any software that can do hard reset programatically? I use hpcboot (netbsd loader) just to load a netbsd kernel, when it hung (due to misconfiguration I think) just press the red reset button.... so primitive hugh
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 12:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well, it's documented from my tests the 6651 wipes out everything when restoring, without a hard reset first.

That's good news for me. I play around a lot and restore often. I can skip the hard-reset step from here on.

I wonder if only MIPS users have such luck or it's just the Sharp implementation of restore?

I left the backup battery out of my 690 the first few months I had it, for the hard reset reason. I put it back in when all my software was stable and my tweaking was done.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-18 12:07 PM
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 12:16 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

well when your a constant software tester no matter what it is, you get use to the hard resets.... I can do em on any hpc in 15-20 secs flat ....i keep all hpc size phillips, flat head and torx and paper clips right near me @ all times !

so i say might as well do a hard reset
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 1:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

anakin - 2005-08-18 11:19 AM

Is there any software that can do hard reset programatically?

yes.. i can look up the code for you somewhere
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 1:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-08-18 6:03 PM

I wonder if only MIPS users have such luck or it's just the Sharp implementation of restore?

lol, it has nothing to do with MIPS. mips is just a cpu version, nothing more.

if the intermec has a proprietary backup software (usually this is the case, MS never built such a program into the OS), then that's the reason for this smart behaviour

Edited by cmonex 2005-08-18 1:46 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 2:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

But perhaps the mips cpu has a line that can be set low/high that resets the ram in an instant?
And the arm & sh3 cpus don't? It's a thought and a possibility.

Whatever the case, it took me the better part of a year to figure it out, lol. And I like it.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-18 2:07 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 2:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-08-18 8:04 PM

But perhaps the mips cpu has a line that can be set low/high that resets the ram in an instant?
And the arm & sh3 cpus don't? It's a thought and a possibility.

unlikely and if it (which version if mips, there are a lot) has it the OS or a software won't take advantage of it as the other cpu types don't support it.. you just write the code and compile it for all cpu's and that's it. in most cases, to the best of my knowledge
so i guess it might be just a simple delete of everything performed by the backup software before doing the copying.. it's just smart enough!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 6:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well no matter what the reason it's another feather in my 6651 hat! I so love this thing more each day. It's more reliable and predictable than any female I've had in my life

I tried the same trick on the 720. As I suspected it didn't wipe the memory first, but added everything and overwrote (or skipped) the existing files. I can see that might be an advantage at times. (But the 720 backup is soooo darn slow. <30sec for my 6651, 3 min for the 720, ugh)

But I don't know if the PIM info would be duplicated. That would be disatrous. I haven't synced the 720 , or done anything with it since I started the Outhouse project. I'm going to finish with Outhouse on my g/fs desktop and her j565 before I get back to the 720.

edit: If program creation for different platforms was simply choosing the cpu type at compile time then Planmaker/Textmaker would still be available for sh3. However, we know it's not. Sigh.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-18 6:09 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 8:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-08-19 12:02 AM

edit: If program creation for different platforms was simply choosing the cpu type at compile time then Planmaker/Textmaker would still be available for sh3. However, we know it's not. Sigh.

i never talked about different platforms...
*same* platform, different cpus.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 12:30 AM
#
H/PC Elder

LOL, ok split hairs. You're still way up there in my good book
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11