x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

fm_fondeur Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 8:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello, Im a new 680 user, I've been searching on the internet, in this forum and others, and I'm a little confused.

Does the 680 HPC use or dont the GAPI?
From what I understand the gapi has a gx.dll, gx.lib and gx.h that are copied to the windows directory.
Some games take advantage of the gapi, and I know that It has been developed for HPC by programers because it was designed by Microsoft for PPC not for HPC.
Am I right or Am I more confused now!!!

So in case that I'm right, what can 680 users do. Don't we need the gapi?

I've downloaded the "gapi_hpc_demo.zip", but It dosent include a gx.dll only the gx.lib and gx.h.
This is designed to work with the 680, but the developer dosent suport it anymore.

Any help will be apreciated. THANKS!!!
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 10:49 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you read the specs of the Jornada 680/690, you'd see that they have SH3 processors at 133mhz (someone may correct me).
GAPI was programmed for ARM processors which means your answer is No. (Even if yes, it may not work, as GAPI I believe is for CE3 and above)

ARM's differ from SH3s as they have a different calls to the processor, or commands. This leads to problems with the SH3 version. Some calls maybe similar, but most will be totally different. When the 680 was introduced, Intel didn't have the ARM processors available for handhelds at the time, so ARM support came much later, except a few.

Don't go for the Mobile Pro 7x0 series either, they have MIPS processors.
As for asking for support, when I asked the author if he was going to support HPC Pro and MIPS, the answer was strictly no, it'll probably be the same for the 680. You don't need GAPI unless you are playing games.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 12:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Everything Wes said above is spot on.
 Top of the page
fm_fondeur Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 1:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for your reply....
Now I can spend time figuring out other stuf.
Thanks.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 6:18 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I Emailed the GAPI People about supporting the J820, and then I realized it only has 256 colors... not too pretty :-P But if it ad 16bit color, they said they would support it (the Jornada 820 has a 190MHz ARM SA-1100 processor, just a step under the 720)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 13