x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Best Handheld/Mini PC today?

1 2
wikoh Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 3:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Are there any good HPCs (by their laptop-like design, not by the "Handheld PC xx" OS)
around today or is no one else interested anymore?
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 4:10 PM
#
What exactly do you think is 'good'?

I think the MP790, 900, 900C - Jornada 720, 728 - Intermec 6651 - Sigmarion III... lots of other HPCs are good. Hell, most of them are great!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 5:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

smartbook G138, psion netbook pro....... the list goes on and on..
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 12:16 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you want full VGA, you're looking at the HPC Pros - NEC 800, Jornada 820, Compaq Aero 8000, IBM Workpad z50, etc. I purchased a refurbished Aero just over a month ago. I haven't tried the other models, but I found a good review at Pen Computing that compares those 4 models.

Also, if you want something new, Data Evolution is supposed to be releasing the Cathena this fall (although they were supposed to release it this spring, too, so don't hold your breath). They apparently have agreements to sell the Cathena through Dell and other resellers. To my knowledge, nothing else is being currently produced, unless you want to get a mini-laptop imported through Dynamism.com, and they're a bit expensive.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 2:45 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I nominate the Sharp Zaurus Sharp Linux run clam-shell handhelds the best in the world and they are still made. They are also less money that somel goofy models of HP and Dell PDAs

The Zaurus SL-C-3000 is a beauty. From the bright, high resolution screen to the setup that identifies Zaurus as an external hard drive to PCs. None of that goofy MS ActiveSync nonsense. The SL C-1000 is my favorite Sharp since it is much cheaper that the 3000 and it is the same PC; it just doesn' t come with the built-in 4Gig microdrive.

The only draw back is after Microsoft kicked Sharp out of the US market, Sharp does not make anything for the US market. The specially engineered Zaurus keyboards suit Japanese and other SE Asians just fine but they are too small for me to get any speed with. Nonethess, I'd like a Zaurus 760 but it is hard to get a Zaurus user to sell his handheld! The software runs fine on any Zaurus and owners of older models can run newer software. Its all Linux. Sharp has also written several nice Linux apps for Sharp Linux.

The Zaurus line is THE mobile device of choice in Japan. Nearly all junior high and high school students have one.
 Top of the page
wikoh Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 4:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'll keep a look out for that Cathena. It seems those Zaurus:es can't beat my J728 kbd by the pictures I've seen. It's getting a little broken around the screen which is also quite poor compared to newer technology.

As for the broken plastic, any if it's possible to repair and at what cost?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 2:48 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yep, Zauruses (or Zauri?) are not considered HPCs because of their little thumb keyboards. And the inability to sync PIM data, like any real PDA, doesn't help either. The variety of software available for Zaurus are quite different from those for HPCs, so make sure to pick the platform that would support the software you need currently and in the foreseeable future.

If you're looking for a replacement for your Jornada, with newer technology, I guess the closest device in physical terms would be the Sigmarion III. However, its screen is a lot denser (more pixels per inch), and the OS is originally in Japanese.

Personally I replaced my Jornada with the Smartbook G138. It's quite a bit larger, but it's got a better keyboard and screen. The pixels are larger than the Sig's, and somewhat smaller than the Jornada's. BTW, someone is selling a Smartbook right here on hpcBay

Also there's the NEC MobilePro 900C. It is larger still, and even better keyboard, but then the screen is old technology

The Cathena and Clio NXT are both unreleased products, announced by Data Evolution. And they are both laptop sized.
 Top of the page
bradkent
bradkent Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 10:29 AM
#
Actually, the stock Zaurus PIM's can be synced with Outlook via software that is included. In addition, if you switch to one of the better open-source PIM's (KOrganizer), you also have syncing capability to the desktop.

I agree about the thumb keyboards compared to my Jornada 728. The Zaurus is more comparable to a PocketPC, but with a nice thumboard.

- Brad
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 11:50 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sharp Zaurus is quite usable for PIM Sync and the screen is exceptional, since Sharp was able to make Linux drivers for a more sophisticated display, something makers who use Windows cannot do. Microsoft failed to compile more advanced display drivers, which is a primary cause of the death of true handheld PCs. The 900 simply cost too much for the display you get.

Given the powerful Intel processor the Zaurus SL-C3000 and 1000 are built around, the fast screen refresh and high quality display small print can be used. I have failing eyesight but I was easily able to read my Japanese exchange student's Zaurus 1000 screen, using 7pt fonts. The clam shell Zaurus line does not have thumb keypads. They have brilliantly ergonomic small key keyboards. However, they are designed with SE Asian hands in mind, since that is the Zaurus target market. Our student could fly on the 1000 keyboard and my pettite youngest adult daughter can too. I have large hands so I must use an unsharpened pencil or something to accurately type with it at all. In addition, Sharp plans to incorporate Toshiba-Sony's joint development of an entirely new Voice command strategy.

If we could reduce the Microsoft-Intel (Wintel) domination of the US market, I am sure the savy Sharp company would repackage the 1000 into a larger case for US sale. Given how Bill Gates "donates" 240 million annually to EACH National Political Party and The Intel founder "donates" 100 plus million to each Party, don't hold your breath about any breech soon. The bust will not come from Europe either. Gates has made great progress by spreading money among the EU officials.

No less than IBM had to get creative in order to deal with the Wintel Cartel by selling 70% of its PC division to Chinese Lenovo. It will not be too long before Lenovo-Think Pads start offering IBM Linux pre-installed on Think Pads. Hopefully, Lenovo-IBM will also offer a line of handhelds.

We need Linux powered Handhelds. Being Open Source, using Linux, will stop handheld planned obsolescence. Sharp could not practice it with the Zaurus line if it wanted to. Amatuer Linux & OpenSource programmers and hacks would circumvent any attempt to totally orphan Zaurus 700s or 800s, just as a few of them already hacked the CVS ripoff single use video camera. CVS used Linux.

I know the NEC 780 and the Jornada 720 are seriously modifiable because it is possible to install upgrade daughter boards in them. This means a Linux Group could program a ROM chip to take over operation from the original ROM and run Linux. The problem is Microsoft would Sue & would force NEC & HP to sue. Linux Kernel (Linus Torvalds) & the Open Source movement must already deal enough with nonsense lawsuits, designed to eliminate Linux projects and Linux Distros. Law suit fear is how AT&T frightened Berkley into abandoning its Unix variant BSD O/S.

...Or, so it seems to me...

---Bruised
 Top of the page
bradkent
bradkent Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 12:32 PM
#
I have the Zaurus SL-6000L which has the true thumbpad, but the clamshell 3xxx and 1xxx can be used effectively in thumb mode if you have larger hands.

I agree with your remarks on the value of Linux/open-source PDA's, but honestly the software available now is not as diverse and not always as robust as titles available for WindowsMobile (or even PalmOS). Also, there is a steep learning curve to go beyond the Zaurus GUI and get things done via console, etc. Even installing and tweaking software to run is a bit of a programming project at times, which makes the Zaurus more interesting for the power user and not the typical business PDA user. That needs to change before embedded Linux PDA's will succeed. Sharp never put the proper resources behind their systems for Europe and NAFTA markets.

- Brad

Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 11:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

OOPS, I did it again. 3 sentenses on why Linux PDA doesn't apply to the original question of this thread, and now we get paragraphs of protective replies that is pretty much OT.

In any case, I must say the government consipracy thing was almost X-Files quality - GOOD JOB!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 10:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

No protective reply from me, takwu...

Just want to say that I've had several Zauruses now (currently SL-C3000) and really like them. They feel more like a micro-computer than a PDA. However, you can use them either as a PDA or little laptop (have X/Qt/Debian running on my Z too!)

They do come with simple PIM apps that will sync with MS Outlook or you can use open-source versions..

As for HPC's, I agree that there are quite a few very good designs, just depends what's more important for your needs, screen size, keyboard size or portability, weight, etc....

Think the Sig3 is great if you're OK with tweaking, SmartBook is great if you want large display/keyboard, and 720's are very good if you want small, narrow, unit.

Haven't used some of the others like NEC's, but seem like they're very good too..

Just my 2ยข.....YMMV
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 6:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bruisedquasar - 2005-08-19 8:45 PM

The Zaurus line is THE mobile device of choice in Japan. Nearly all junior high and high school students have one.

nooo, it is the sigmarion 3! i mean, "the" mobile device...
(in Japan but it would be here too if it were sold here..)

Edited by cmonex 2005-08-21 6:58 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 6:55 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wikoh - 2005-08-19 10:21 PM

I'll keep a look out for that Cathena. It seems those Zaurus:es can't beat my J728 kbd by the pictures I've seen. It's getting a little broken around the screen which is also quite poor compared to newer technology.

As for the broken plastic, any if it's possible to repair and at what cost?

well maybe you only have to tighten some screw under the 728 sticker.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 6:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2005-08-20 8:48 AM

If you're looking for a replacement for your Jornada, with newer technology, I guess the closest device in physical terms would be the Sigmarion III. However, its screen is a lot denser (more pixels per inch), and the OS is originally in Japanese.

Personally I replaced my Jornada with the Smartbook G138. It's quite a bit larger, but it's got a better keyboard and screen. The pixels are larger than the Sig's, and somewhat smaller than the Jornada's. BTW, someone is selling a Smartbook right here on hpcBay

Also there's the NEC MobilePro 900C. It is larger still, and even better keyboard, but then the screen is old technology

The Cathena and Clio NXT are both unreleased products, announced by Data Evolution. And they are both laptop sized.

i didn't know that the Cathena was never released either

too bad....

900C is a nice machine, i never minded the dstn screen too much.
hm, i don't think it's larger than the G138 but i already said that
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 14