x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Best Handheld/Mini PC today?

1 2
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 7:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bruisedquasar - 2005-08-20 5:50 PM

Given the powerful Intel processor the Zaurus SL-C3000 and 1000 are built around, the fast screen refresh and high quality display small print can be used. I have failing eyesight but I was easily able to read my Japanese exchange student's Zaurus 1000 screen, using 7pt fonts. The clam shell Zaurus line does not have thumb keypads. They have brilliantly ergonomic small key keyboards. However, they are designed with SE Asian hands in mind, since that is the Zaurus target market. Our student could fly on the 1000 keyboard and my pettite youngest adult daughter can too. I have large hands so I must use an unsharpened pencil or something to accurately type with it at all.

hm, i don't have large hands but i'm suffering with thumbboards. however the jornada keyboards are perfect for me..
another thing.. VGA screen on 3,5" and 7pt fonts and your eyes didn't get tired?
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 9:31 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Good point CMONEX. I did fail to mention why I do not have a Sharp Zaurus. I can read small fonts on the Zaurus SL-C3000\1000 but I cannot read any small print, regardless of quality, for longer than 20 minutes or so.

I am waiting for the new Japanese voice tech to come out. Regardless the quality the Zaurus screens are too small for me. I need at least Jornada 680\690 or 720\728 size for any device to be practical for me. I love messing around with computing devices but I also use them, so the practical is important.

I can say that the Zaurus line is just right for most Japanese & other SE Asians, especially high school and university students. There is no reason the tech could not be wired into a larger handheld. I would love for Sharp to start a line in which the Zaurus tech is wired into a handheld the size of Jornada 720s.

---Bruised
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 1:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh i see..

yes if only they would make jornada sized zauruses too..

until that i'm happy with the sig3!
 Top of the page
bradkent
bradkent Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 9:35 PM
#
Regarding small print on the Zaurus screen, there is a nice built-in zoom function that works in many applications. Also, in the Opera web browser, there is a slider that can zoom the fonts up -- and if you're using the single column view to fit to screen width, everything continues to wrap. So, you can get the high res of VGA with larger fonts as needed for your vision.

Of course, the software is still not diverse and robust enough for me, that's why my 728 is the main machine for now.

- Brad
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 6:48 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have a HP728 and a Sony VAIO PCG-C1.
The Sony VAIO:
Windows XP
Is a bit more big than a HP728.
The same format, large screen 1024x480.
A real PC. All PC software.
400 Mhz.
Stereo sound.
Speaker.
Webcam.
64MB RAM
HD 12GB(can change any 2.5" HD of high capacity)
1.5 hour autonomy

This month I saw in a MediaMark shop the new Sony VAIO(I dont know model) model with the same format.I think remember has a 1,6Mhz, 512MB RAM,40GB HD,... and the same format.I supose has more autonomy.
Dont confuse with a typical Sony VAIO or portable computer.
The price 2800 €.
It´s the best miniPC.

I reviewed at ZONA HANDHELD with photos a Sony VAIO C1(my old model) vs Hp720:
http://www.todopocketpc.com/foro/showthread.php?t=42869
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 6:45 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Wow you're running XP with 64MB or RAM? Brave!

I have the C1MVM, Crusoe 733Mhz, 256MB. Even that I think is a bit slow, especially if I install McAfee VirusScan. I am juggling with what the upgrade: to 384MB, or new battery, or faster HD? Haven't decided yet, but maybe all 3 if I get a new job with good pay

None of the new Vaio laptops are as small. The T series look like the C1, but it's actually a lot bigger, at least 50%. It's also that much heavier.
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 7:05 PM
#
takwu - 2005-08-25 4:45 PM

Wow you're running XP with 64MB or RAM? Brave!

I have the C1MVM, Crusoe 733Mhz, 256MB. Even that I think is a bit slow, especially if I install McAfee VirusScan. I am juggling with what the upgrade: to 384MB, or new battery, or faster HD? Haven't decided yet, but maybe all 3 if I get a new job with good pay

None of the new Vaio laptops are as small. The T series look like the C1, but it's actually a lot bigger, at least 50%. It's also that much heavier.

Try installing a different virus scanner - perhaps AVG. It has a much smaller memory footprint, runs much faster and has been proven again and again to be more effective.

And it's free.

Also, what OS are you running on that? 98? 2000?
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 7:40 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

And yes, the new Sony Vaio I saw is a reply of my Sony vaio PCG-C1.The same dimensions.It´s my Sony Vaio PCG-C1 actualized at XIX century.
The new Sony Vaio has a metallic color very beautiful and less curved.
And turn to repeat, it´s not the typical enormous Sony Vaio portable or another portable.

Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

corporate,
I am running XP Home, which came with the laptop. I have used McAfee for over a decade, when we were still on DOS and Win 3.1... I know and understand the alternatives out there, but the truth is that they only really make a difference on P2 class or lower machines. Also McAfee has only grown too big for them after those machines died off. I know cos I watched it grow up But I agree, if people are still using those older machines, it's not practical to run the usual anti-virus software today, and that's where the alternatives come in. As for my laptop, the only real problem with McAfee is RAM; just seems 256MB ain't enough. My desktop, a P3 class Celeron at 1.4GHz and 384MB, runs all this stuff with no problems at all.

hpcpro,
I would like to know which Vaio you're talking about. The C1M series, the one I got, has a metal shell on the lid, and rounded plastic elsewhere (you can see pictures of it on my original Smartbook thread). But it only uses either 733 or 877 Mhz Crusoe. The U series (before it went to tablet form) had much smaller keys, about the same as new Libretto; smaller keys than even Jornada. I would like to see an updated laptop with large keys but small size, just like the C1 we love
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 6:25 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

For me, the "ultimate" would be the Libretto U100, or I'd take a jvc mini-note as runner up .

Really the only thing missing from these is "instant on", as battery life is now superior to some HPC devices! Coupled with contacts/calendar sync'd to a small mobile phone which is always on, that could be the ultimate portable setup for me.

But hot damn, that Libby is expensive!

I also await the HTC Universal with baited breath, I must admit... It might be the resurgence needed to kick-start clamshells again, and I hope that someone will have the balls to release a CE5.0 consumer device without the Windows Mobile (PocketPC) shell abomination.

The Zaurus SL-C3100 tempts be greatly, but at just under £500 of outlay it's a big "risk" if I don't like it, although I daresay I could flog it on ebay and not lose a great deal. The size of the keyboard and screen might be an issue to me - anything under about 18cm for a keyboard is getting into unusable territory IMHO. The OS and its syncing is another thing I am unsure of, so I've just shelled out on an SL-5500 to dip my toe into the Linux PDA world. if the water is lovely, I probably will try the 3100.

One thing I do think MS have got absolutely right is Embedded VC++ being free: look at the dev tools for other platforms and it isn't quite so easy to use.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 1:42 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ahh. U100. very nice.
what's the battery life of it?? i'm really curious.
ah, maybe it would still be too big for me. and hard disk.. i'll forget it!

htc universal. i share the same feelings and hopes with you!...
i won't have any money for it nor do i need this device. but it could be a nice replacement if there's no better choice. some years to come until that, i hope......
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 6:51 PM
#
I've long pined over the Nokia Communicator series, most recently the 9500.

Unfortunately, the price for even the older models is somewhat.. high. I'd still love to get my hands on one to play with
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 9:22 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Chiark, I'm with you on the development tools. Its indeed a wise move on MS part to develop a good development tool/environment that is at the same time familiar for windows developers and free! It sure makes it easy for developers to churn out apps ...

Corp, the Nokia communicator is pretty cool and one of the earlier phones with a clamshell, HPC like design. I've seen one in the skin before and some how it felt more like a brick than a Jornada even though its volume is smaller. They made it rather thick.

oh and yes, they priced it at corporate users mainly as well ... much like HPCs actually. So ...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 14