x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

OMG - my 2nd 6651 !!!

1 2
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 6:56 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Was nearly stolen at a roadside restaurant !!!!

I got a call 2 minutes ago from the woman who borrowed my 6651 for her vacation. She was in a panic and hysterical.

She parked at a highway Mcdonalds and went in to eat. I know the restaurant and there's nowhere to park and keep your car in sight.

While they were inside eating some low life bottom feeding scumsucking jack@ss jimmied her car window or door, she was too excited to say, and did a snatch and grab.

They got her digicam, her Sony handycam (digital 8 I think) which were in a camera bag with her new expensive cellphone, a bluetooth headset, a decent 35mm rangefinder camera, some accessories, and one of her kids mp3 player (Iriver, is there such a thing?)

She made the mistake of leaving the digicam strap hanging partially out of the travel bag, and the strap was emblazed with Canon in huge letters. It didn't help that the camera bag had Sony in giant letters. Just what a low-life would be looking for.

I was freaking and inbetween her sporadic rambling I kept asking about my 6651. The thought of my beautiful 6651 being stolen made me wanna barf. If it was stolen I didn't want to know about it. A million things were running through my head, like can I ever find another mint one?

I finally got it out of her. She had taken the 6651 and her kids 40gb jukebox into the restaurant to review a whack of pictures she downloaded from her digicam the night before.

Thank God, there is a guardian angel for my 6651.

I feel terrible her vacation has been mucked up from this, but since my 6651 is safe it's no skin off my nose. She will buy a replacement digicam, vtr and phone at the next biggest town and get the insurance to pay for them when she gets home.

She has *promised* to lock my 6651 in the trunk if it's not being used for GPS and promised to take it into the hotel with her at night. Whew.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 7:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Boy are you lucky! Yeah, IRiver makes MP3 players, CD players with MP3 capability, etc...

If it had been in the car, it would be gone.

Which brings up the next topic for discussion: Who carries insurance on their handhelds for damage or theft?

If it is stolen from my car, then my comprehensive insurance would take care of it, but if it were stolen from anywhere else...I'd be out of luck...so if it ever gets stolen...you can be sure I'd report it stolen from my car.

By the way, if I have anything valuable, it is in my trunk, out of site. No more secure perhaps, but if it can't be seen, then it probably won't get broke into. Anyone who leaves things of high value sitting in sight of the criminal public is simply a few French fries short of a happy meal....

Rich

p.s. Imagine if you would have told her, "you ain't gonna believe this, but your 720 was stolen, right out of my car too!"

Edited by Rich Hawley 2005-08-18 7:24 PM
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 7:24 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

To be honest, she should have EVERYTHING that is electrical and stealable hidden out of view. The sad fact is that there will aways be low-lives that want to cheat and steal from others and lead a sad life.

Everything should be locked away, again out of sight, so that instances like this can be avioded. The next thing is that she may not be able to claim off her insurance as she didn't take reasonable measures to ensure the saftey of the equipment.
Beyound reasonable measures, she could claim if the car was stolen or broken into with the equipment out of sight.
Remember most theives are opportunist, so they will break into anything at the first opportunity. If they see it and they like it, they will take it for possibliy resale.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 7:31 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2005-08-19 12:20 AM

Which brings up the next topic for discussion: Who carries insurance on their handhelds for damage or theft?

I am not a laywer, but I did some reasearch into this. What should happen is that your house insurance should cover the cost, but that depends on their terms and condidions or the small print. Check to see if mobile devices can be taken off site, if so, then you claim against your home contents insurance.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 8:01 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I love leaving things in plain site, use to be a pastime....

I would go hide behind a bush with my .357 magnum revolver (cherrywood handle)
Man those were the days...It all started when my Stereo got stolen out of my car @ my dads house wich was in a decent area.....

Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 8:18 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well, in Canada, if I shot the perp and killed him while he was coming at me with a knife I'd be doing time. You can legally own a gun in Canada, but just. Don't ever try to use it unless you're a gangbanger, then blast away. HUH???

Back to topic.Her house insurance would be responsible for payment. If her deductible is high, say $2000 or so (not unreasonable given our rates of insurance) then she has to pay the 1st $2000 of the theft. That about covers the cost of the stolen gear.

So she'd be paying me out of her pocket, or giving me her 720, which at this point I can't say I'd like as a trade for my 6651. See my other wacky post about more than a lifestyle.....

edit: No more Mr. Nice Guy loaning out gear. No way, no how, never gonna loan a 6651 again.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-18 8:23 PM
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 8:39 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Can i borrow your intermec?
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 9:09 PM
#
thcrw739 - 2005-08-18 6:39 PM

Can I borrow it from you?

Wally, I think you just need to sell me that Intermec. I'll keep it nice and safe.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 9:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

wow ... my eyes went BIG when I read about someone staking out with a gun and ... *gulp* ... someone killing a thief! *gulp* you guys are kidding right?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 12:22 AM
#
H/PC Elder

thcrw739 - 2005-08-18 8:39 PM

Sure, And I'll borrow your .357. Load it with 155gr hollowpoints please and thank you

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-19 12:26 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 6:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

.357, a kids toy. I mean I have one, but I just target shoot with it when I run out of ammo for my SW629. .44, now with 220 grain bullets, there is a gun that delivers foot pounds of energy.

I bought it the summer after getting attacked by a Grizzly on Montague Island, hunting blacktail in the Aleutian Island chain...but that is anothre story.

Us Americans are gun owning nuts, didn't you Canadians know that? I myself own 7 hand guns, 5 rifles, and 8 shotguns and have about 4000 rounds of ammo in the bedroom closet. I could take pictures of those as well...much neater than my desk.

And the scarey part is that I am not mentally balanced when I get angry....

Rich
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 6:53 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2005-08-19 11:27 AM

.357, a kids toy. I mean I have one, but I just target shoot with it when I run out of ammo for my SW629. .44, now with 220 grain bullets, there is a gun that delivers foot pounds of energy.

I bought it the summer after getting attacked by a Grizzly on Montague Island, hunting blacktail in the Aleutian Island chain...but that is anothre story.

Us Americans are gun owning nuts, didn't you Canadians know that? I myself own 7 hand guns, 5 rifles, and 8 shotguns and have about 4000 rounds of ammo in the bedroom closet. I could take pictures of those as well...much neater than my desk.

And the scarey part is that I am not mentally balanced when I get angry....

Rich

My best weapons are my hands, seriously! They are my only weapons thank god! They don't do much damage, but I can fight if I really need to! Its much better than playing dirty with guns. Besides, what do guns offer? Instant injury or death. My aim is not to kill, but to disable someone in a difficault situation (I.e. when have to) for a reasonable length of time (I.e. when I have left the scene and walked away just for my defence).

(For those that don't know, I am a karate student, sadly at whitebelt level, because I never been graded!)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 6:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I had a good friend (who died of cancer) who was an excellent martial artist. He always said if he could find a man made of wood (or concrete blocks), he could break him right in two.

Like you, I prefer to avoid any untoward situations rather than promote conflict. I think this is probably a result of my early life experiences in the gunships during the VN war era. Sometimes it is just impossible to avoid conflict and you have to be the agressor. My goal back then was not to injure or detain...but to eliminate. I can remember a time when I actually used to accept this without a second thought...though today in retrospect I view it with some sadness and shame...not at what I did, but how I so casually accepted it.

I sincerely pray that I will never be placed in the situation where I would have to defend myself with my weapons...on the other hand, if I ever am placed in that position, then I have the capability to do so...and would without hesitation.

Sorry Chris, kinda got off track here...just hit a personal nerve.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2005-08-19 6:18 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 7:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

In between bursts of M60 fire from the Huey

"How do you know which ones to shoot"
'If they run they must be VC"
"But what if they stand still?"
"Then they're well disciplined VC"

What an impossible position to be in. I won't even pretend to understand how it must have felt.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 12:30 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2005-08-19 11:16 PM

I had a good friend (who died of cancer) who was an excellent martial artist. He always said if he could find a man made of wood (or concrete blocks), he could break him right in two.

Haha!! That leaves me out, I am far too fragile for that sort of treatment!
Rich Hawley - 2005-08-19 11:16 PM

Like you, I prefer to avoid any untoward situations rather than promote conflict. I think this is probably a result of my early life experiences in the gunships during the VN war era. Sometimes it is just impossible to avoid conflict and you have to be the agressor. My goal back then was not to injure or detain...but to eliminate. I can remember a time when I actually used to accept this without a second thought...though today in retrospect I view it with some sadness and shame...not at what I did, but how I so casually accepted it.

Reminds me of I wished to do after I left school. I was planning to study (experience college life, etc, as I am doing now and I am only 19, I was 16 then. Just not your average teenager that probably experienced smoking, drugs, alcohol and god knows what else! Only expereienced the alcohol once, but thats when I was ill! My general rule is no alcohol what so ever.) then go into the british forces. I was put off by this later on however, because (I am probably on a borderline) I didn't support what the brits were doing at the time, aided by another nameless country. I didn't see the point and thought there was better ways to deal with the conflict, thus I held off, indefiently. Now I am looking at other future plans... while Tony is incharge.

Comments about me, do respond, comments about the recent conflict? PLEASE DON'T!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10