x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

OMG - my 2nd 6651 !!!

1 2
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-29 4:55 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I have some bad news for myself, and anyone contemplating my 2nd 6651.

If you're not familiar the 6651 can be folded over into a tablet. The car bracket I designed holds the 6651 in tablet form. Sharp made one major goof when designing the 6651. They placed the power plug on the back of the machine.

That means the power plug *must* be removed before folding or unfolding to/from tablet mode.

I had an email from the woman who borrowed my 6651. Someone, probably her daughter, she didn't say, tried to unfold the 6651 from tablet mode without removing the power plug.

She goes on to say she heard a crack and stopped folding. She indicates she can't see any damage, the unit powers up, but the power plug needs to be wiggled a lot before the charging light comes on. I mean a whole lot.

Until I get the unit into my hands I can't really determine the extent of the damage. Perhaps it's cosmetic only, maybe something worse. I'm not gonna speculate.

Does anyone know of a 6651 service manual for download? Or a site with 6651 teardown pictures? I hope neither is needed but she returns Friday and I want to be prepared.

Oh, and if it gets worse or costs >200 for a repair she's giving me her 720 as a token gesture. She says she's wanted a big screen vga ppc for awhile anyway.

So, I'm hoping the damage is minimal, but if not, I'll have a parts 6651 and a 720 in my fleet. Funny eh, now I'm gonna need arm hpc stuff for perhaps two machines. We'll see.

edit. The best advice I can give anyone contemplating a loan of their baby is *don't*

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-29 5:12 AM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-29 8:55 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Wally, actually, I am still trying to figure out why you lent out your HPC at the first place! ... and a 6651!!! *gasp*
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-29 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

We all do dumb things. One year she loaned me her pricy Digital 8 vtr for my vacation, another year I loaned her an expensive (then) digicam for a wedding. We've been doing this kind of loaning for years. She's a long long time trusted friend.

We've had a good relationship that way, we're both careful with others stuff but things happen. It's always been understood if it breaks the borrower pays for repairs. It's not something that will ruin our friendship.

But I am at fault for loaning something that's very hard to replace or costly to repair. This weekend will tell the story
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-30 6:17 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hmm, sounds simliar to my power problems in my laptop, where the laptop would switch to battery power without me realising, while plugged in.

When my father and myself took it apart, we found that the jack soldering had be completely either melted away or vapourised! (God knows how!), repair, resoldered, still didn't make a difference, so we hot-glued it inplace then soldered, no trouble after that.
So if she damaged the jack, thats all I think you need to replace, it sounds like the jack though. Ask her if she can hear/see sparks flying inside the unit if she puts her ear close to the PC to see if it defiently is that the jack has indeed been broken.

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-17 4:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i've just got an idea... wally, you said the intermec won't charge the battery, and won't turn on at all. now i just remembered that someone said the intermec doesn't work without the battery. i don't know but does this mean that if the battery is fully discharged, it again won't turn on, until the battery is recharged?
or did you already try the other battery (charged of course) in it? oh well probably it's not that easy, but i had to ask
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-20 3:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes, I tried a fully charged pack. No joy. My guess (and my tech friend) is that the traces or wires that carry power to/from the power plug to the battery are broken. Hence the 6651 figures it has no battery and won't start up, and it doesn't see any 15v input either. Let's hope.

He's been busy with paying jobs and only fiddles with my 'mec in his spare time. Cr*p. I just realized I should have gotten him to digicam the teardown for future use.

I've found ZIP about servicing the 'mec on the web. Maybe I shpuld be searching for Telios 7000 repair info.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-20 4:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh, i see. hope it'll be all right soon...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-26 10:46 AM
#
H/PC Elder

RIP. It is official. My 2nd 6651 suffered a massive short to the mainboard somehow. No more magic smoke inside.

That's life. I have a parts machine now, just in case. This means my remaining 6651 will likely never leave my sight . It will certainly never get loaned out.

However, the borrower has decided to keep her 720 (which I could have kept to offset the damaged 6651) Instead she has paid a portion of the 720 package I bought here from wd8dky.

That's all she wrote. Everything turned out sorta OK in a convoluted fashion.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-26 1:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-09-26 4:46 PM

RIP. It is official. My 2nd 6651 suffered a massive short to the mainboard somehow. No more magic smoke inside.

oh well..

i just don't understand how the machine could work before a full discharge of the battery. (or i misunderstood something and it was no longer working after the accident)
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10