x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

dustbowl0407
dustbowl0407 Page Icon Posted 2004-11-22 10:24 AM
#
what is the difference between a j720 and a j728? just curious.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-22 12:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The 728 is a 2002 release, where as the 720 is a 1999 release.

The 728 has 64MB over the 720's 32 MB, a redesigned case, improved drivers, higher HPC2000 build - the 728 has the VPN module. Power management improvments.

There is an overview here:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/jornada728/
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-11-23 3:17 AM
#
H/PC Elder

as c:amie said
that review is very detailed

just wanna add a personal opinion tho... the J728 doesn't look outdated compared to the newest PDAs or laptops. Heck it's more stylish than most. Take it out and friends go "is that your new computer"? And sometimes people recognize the hp logo from laptops etc.

Can't say the same for the J720... it'd look like a super-sized electronic organizer from Radioshack

Funny how color and deco change impressions, at least for me.
 Top of the page
dustbowl0407
dustbowl0407 Page Icon Posted 2004-11-23 9:47 AM
#
I agree. The case color on the j720 is not that great. But the j720 is about half the cost of a j728. sounds like its worth the money though.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-23 12:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you use it for communications it's worth the price for the VPN.
The RAM, ok nice to have it - but it can be supplimented by other means.

Now if someone with a 728, some of the developer around here and myself could get the pptp.dll and one or two other dll's out of a 728 rom...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-24 3:23 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

If I got the newer dll's from a 728, could I upgrade my 720's software at least? All I knew when I got my 720 was that the 728 had 32mb more ram, a stupid case, and cost $200 more on ebay with no other improvements ::grin:: Obviousely I was dead wrong, but software updates could definitely make my computing experience better.

-By the way, apparently the 720 looks cool enough for people to think it was not only my new computer, but a full-fledged laptop ::grins::
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-11-24 3:47 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I've had people - in fact, almost everyone who walks past my desk - ask about the 720... Everyone assumes it is new.

C-Amie's suggestion of getting stuff out of the ROM disk system of the 728 is a good 'un. Strictly speaking, it would be breaking licensing conditions but on the other hand it would be exceptionally useful.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-24 9:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hum.. well. There is a fine line to tow on this one.
The Jornada 720 was released after the Windows CE 3.00 Add-in pack - which provided the VPN DLL's.

Windows CE licensing is for the platform and the core OS. Which of course every Jornada 720 owner has with the deivce.
hp publically stated with the release of the 720 that "we will be releasing the updates as an add-on software update at a later time", alas they never did.

There are also one or two Microsoft written knowledgebase articles that I have seen which suggest moving dll's about to fix problems.

In moving the DLL's from a 728 we would not be Reverse Engineering or Decompilation or indeed generally Disassembling.

There is a clause in the Client EULA which states that:
Single SYSTEM. The SYSTEM Software is licensed with the SYSTEM as a single integrated product. The SYSTEM Software installed in ROM of the SYSTEM may only be used as part of the SYSTEM... only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law...

Make of it what you will. However there is a documented case of Foilage releasing platform builder dll's as a redistributable package - with a Microsoft EULA and getting away with it.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-11-24 10:44 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Brilliant, cheers Chris. I just knew that you'd have been through the loop on that one

So, all we need now is a Jornada 728 user.

Anyone?
 Top of the page
LABIX
LABIX Page Icon Posted 2004-11-25 9:44 PM
#
I have a 728 and a 720, so I will be willing to try fun stuff. What do I need to do?
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-11-26 3:41 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well, it would be really useful to know what extra DLLs/files were on the machine "out of the box". If you could find the differences in files in the ROM, then that would be useful.

This could be a time consuming task - I'll have a look to see if there's any easy way to do it...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-11-26 4:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

lets compare our dir output in Windows
here is the one from my j728

*edit*
oops sorry I just realized you wanted "out of box" state. The listing I posted is obviously my current state - lotsa extra stuff I put in there. so maybe someone can do a hard reset and list it? I don't want to, because I'm at work right now

Edited by takwu 2004-11-26 4:36 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments list.txt (11KB - 50 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-26 6:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well next time I hard reset a 720 I'll do it.Don't fancy it right now, just spend 48 hours consolidating4 hard disks into one, reinstalling, repartitioning and clearing out... long story. Lets just say I ran out of drive letters

In order to be more useful though the information need to be taken from PocketDOS using this command series: (presumes c: is internal RAM on your setup)

c:
cd \windows
dir /s > \filelist.txt

If you want to do in via Command (no ROM files) then it's:

c:
cd \windows
dir > filelist.txt

That will create a text file on the root with the entire file system listed - in full.

I'd ask Clinton to do it on a 728... only he dropped it
Keep going on about it? Me? Never!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-26 8:07 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Pppbbt Eula....I guess there are advantages to having my own site separate from this one where I will probably post them if I get my hands on them. In the mean time, when someone gets the dll's just email them to me and I will do the rest...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-26 8:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ugh sorry about the double-post, the lag on my 720 is just so great on this site that sometimes i click it twice (Closer to 100 posts though hahahaha)

-(Not that I made an imaginary competition between Chiark or anything to reach 100 posts first...)

Edited by programsynthesiser 2004-11-26 8:11 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 31