x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 4:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Since I've spoken up for nosucesses (sp.) Simpad (and mp) I'm excited and confused.

I know I can use hpc2k or various .net OSes. I think I've settled on hpc2k because:

The .net image is missing Pocket Outhouse and Pocket office? I would need 3rd party apps like Softmaker programs, and Pocket On Schedule to handle PIM and wp/ss?

The hpc2k image has all the features of hpc2k on my 6651 (more or less)
Since hpc2k has Pocket Office/Outlook I can sync fine with Outhouse on my desktop?
And keep all my CE toys in sync with each other.

I can run ppc2002 apps on the hpc2k OS but I'll have more problems running the same programs on .net? And forget wm2003 programs, on .net totally different thing, right?

Now , I know there is only 2 slots, and one slot is a smart card reader, so it's pretty much useless. The other slot is a pcmcia, so I'm wide open for NIC choices and GPS units?

My last major question. pocketpcmag said there's a usb host port on the SL4, but it won't be active until the SL4 has been updated or patched. I've googled for such a patch, or any patches for the SL4 without any luck.

I don't have any mp questions at this time. I think I understand its' ins and outs from reading other posts and owning a hpc2k machine.

Thanks for your patience on this. I'll return the help in spades if I can.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-19 4:17 PM
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 5:18 PM
#
Don't forget that you can easily pop linux onto the SL4, tis what I'd probably do
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 5:36 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I seriously considered that but only if CE can still be booted and run. The SL4 is designated for a very special role using software not available for my mips.

Still. it'll be fun to try nix one day when I have spare time. I'm still fighting with Outhouse and my other CE devices , and I had a 720 to build and evaluate, but that's now zero on my priority list.

No point building and testing something I'm never going to own. There I said it, I've decided I'll never seek out a 720. Finally after much dithering I made a decision. The SL4 will provide all the 720 would offer me, which primarily is to run a couple of specialized arm programs as well as daily use.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-19 5:41 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 7:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

at least you should try ce.net. you might like it..
you don't need textmaker, ce.net has the same pocketword as hpc2000... for excel there are other options as well.
that's about it.
PIM might be a problem for you though.

ppc hacking: if it were ce.net 4.2 you would be able to run wm2003 programs with hacking.
ppc2002 is no problem you just need to do extra hexediting in some cases nothing serious
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 8:47 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Most if not hpc2000 apps should run alright. Just install the mfc distro files for hpc2000 and hpcpro to allow you run apps from both platforms.

PPC2002 apps should run as well.

For the USB connector, it is a slave/client port. You need to run an inf file on your desktop to detect the SL4 correctly. I read on opensimpad.org forum that there are folks who did it successfully, but I've personally never got it to work.

Get uBook and TC2.0 on it and you should be happily running away with it.

If you are using ce.net 4.1 image, Pretec CompactWLAN 802.11 CF card has a driver for it. Works great!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 8:11 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm tempted, to say the least, to try 4.1 ce.net. But the Mullenger 4.2 sounds like it fixes all the bugs and adds many tempting goodies. But I can't justify the time and expense for an OS I may not like.
I forgot to ask what OS is on the SL4 I'm buying, hpc2k IIRC. But it it's 4.1 .net it will be a good chance to evaluate it, maybe I'll like it.

But if I stick with hpc2k it's a devil I know and love. There's also my library of ppc arm programs, which is pretty darned good, if I say so. All my bases are covered there. I don't know how many will work well on .net and tho' I love to experiment, I need to get the SL4 working stable fairly quickly.

Snappy, I'm glad to hear there's a file to get the USB port working as a host. Sorry it didn't work for you tho' . Where did you get the file? From here or another site you can recommend?

If I can get USB host functions do I still need the Deje drivers then? I'm hoping for host USB functions. I'll connect my 20gb jukebox or a large CF card and stick reader, and use the pcmcia slot for gps or wifi, as needs dictate.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 10:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

For the USB connector, it is a slave/client port. You need to run an inf file on your desktop to detect the SL4 correctly. I read on opensimpad.org forum that there are folks who did it successfully, but I've personally never got it to work.

The reader will read what he wants to see.

No!! Its not a usb host!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 11:51 PM
#
H/PC Elder

TY for the correction. No Host, that's OK. doh. slave/client. It's so obvious to all but me.....

But... If I can scrounge some money perhaps the Ratoc card would work? With a hub I can connect a card reader & GPS, perhaps a Kb for rare times? Maybe even wifi if I get my Ma111 to work. It says it's prism but I've had no time to seriously fiddle with it.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-20 11:55 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 1:23 AM
#
H/PC Elder

A few things,

I downloaded and read the hpc2k user guide from a Polish site. Google didn't give me much of use. Anyway, I saw the mysterious usb port on the top, the manual said "not implemented".

I'm pleased to see a pdf reader (ansyr?) already installed, and the procedure for most tasks seem easy enough. Did I read it right? There's a soft-reset, semi-hard reset, and full reset? That's pretty cool. That's enough choice to bail me out of misery. I glanced at something about a data store that survives after resets, like my Casio & 565. Another nice touch.

What's jot? IIRC some CIC recognizer. Would Calligrapher be better? Or just eat space and perform about the same? I'm so used to Calligrapher though and it seems dumb to replace a good recognizer (if Jot is good ) with another good recognizer

I'll download and read the .net manual also. Mabbe it's as cool as hpc2k. Who knows, I may be converted to a .net dude after all. For sure I'll go for Simons 4.2 if can find a way to tie the image to a certain unit and avoid piracy. I understand his position, and one day perhaps he'll implement a scheme to sell images without fear of getting hosed. At least with the SL4 I know there's a future for the OS with Simons work.

Second thing. I looked at the nix screenies and fell in love with them. I'll admit, the SL4 is a perfect platform for nix. Can I have nix and CE both available at the same time? And choose the OS at boot time? Or do I lose ce after I install nix? I fear the answer is yes, so sad if it's true. But the thought of CE *or* nix at boot time gets me slobbering.

Third thing. SL4 ships with a 2800mah battery! Wow. No wonder it can go so long even with wifi. I wonder what cells it uses? No mind, I'll worry about that when the time comes.

The transition should be painless for me. I've been using the 6651 in tablet mode mostly for the last month anyway. It's surprising how fast I can create a post like this.

I'm sure I'll find more to post when or before I get it. I'll try not to put everyone in a coma

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-21 1:27 AM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 10:29 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Wally, unfortunately there is no support for dual boot at the moment. The flash rom (32mb) can only store one of the images and besides, the bootloader is not so advanced to let you choose the image to load from, only the location can be chosen.

but hey, on the bright side, at least its one of the few "HPCs" that has a flashrom and an image that is written for it.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 11:37 AM
#
H/PC Elder

That's a shame. What's the odds of bricking the Simpad if something goes wrong?
Gotta run, late for a picnic
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 7:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2005-08-20 2:47 AM

Most if not hpc2000 apps should run alright. Just install the mfc distro files for hpc2000 and hpcpro to allow you run apps from both platforms.

PPC2002 apps should run as well.

Get uBook and TC2.0 on it and you should be happily running away with it.

If you are using ce.net 4.1 image, Pretec CompactWLAN 802.11 CF card has a driver for it. Works great!

99% of hpc2000 will run as it has htmlview etc in ROM... (unlike the NEC 900C...)
yeah, just install mfcce211, olece211, mfcce300 and olece300.
i'm saying 99% because for some apps you need to use specifically the ce.net version. all my stuff work after that but i can't swear on unknown soft

ppc2002: ah not all of them will without a little hexediting. but again, 99% success after that

pretec works on hpc2000 too but the driver is crap. especially on ce.net. i use pretec's own drivers both on hpc2000 and ce.net (it is NOT a "standard" prism...), and it can't find the network easily or can't get a real 192.xx.xx IP at first try (only 169.254.xx.xx... after suspend it's ok but at first try for example after install or reset... well... ).
i like the utility itself very much though

Edited by cmonex 2005-08-21 7:14 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 7:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey wally how many questions!

so.. i'll try to answer some of them (i know ce.net fairly well by now and used a simpad sometimes)

i'd recommend just using the hpc2000 version for the first time if you don't have much time, then try ce.net!
you won't be disappointed imo.. you might even become a ce.net believer!
after that, if remote desktop, etc. (which is buggy) is important for you you can spend the money on the 4.2 upgrade..

the ratoc card will work on hpc2000, probably will on ce.net too but i can't swear on that

pdf reader: oh is it ansyr? install acrobat 2.0, imo... (it can be run on the simpad, been confirmed recently)

CIC: it's an on screen keyboard. i like them more than handwriting recog...

an idea.. list your apps and i'll look at them if they work or not for me (if i use them)..

you can't really brick your simpad with flashing, it's a very good design. it can still be recovered even if you were just in the process of overwriting the bootloader and it got disconnected or something.. snappy will tell you!

2800 mAh battery. it's pretty much non-standard. so some user installed nokia batteries in it... no better option... hm, what did the manual or anyone say how long it works with wifi? should be 4 hrs or is it more?

oh and i've got a q too.. (unbelievable, eh? ) what's semi-hard reset?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 9:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Very good news on being brickproof. (I still have an angry friend with a bricked e740, hey it was her idea, not mine.)

After reading the .net manual it looks pretty good. I like Pocket on Schedule as the PIM, but I've been to cheap to buy it for my 6651s. .net supposedly allows USB syncing instead of serial. OK, good.

Will hacked ppc2002 apps play nice with 4.1 .net? Or am I asking for headaches?

I guess the wifi card I'm gonna use plays a role. I'll use the Linky wpc11 v2.5 it's coming with. If they have .net drivers, good. If not then maybe hpc2k OS after all with my dlink 660. Same thing with the Ratoc if I buy one. OS will depend on driver choice mainly.

The manual says the pack is rated for 2800mah (7 hours of wifi?) so that's pretty cool.

Now, the resets, going on memory here
1. Push reset with the stylus. Just like any other soft reset on a hpc.
2. Hold a button (ferget which), poke reset, reset date and time and reload programs?
3. Hold 2 buttons, poke reset, unit returns to factory reset, calibrate, all that jazz, reload programs.

Dunno yet what the real dif between 2 and 3 is. I'll know soon enough.

I'll use my normal complement of programs, NF3, ftxbrowser, telnet, spreadce, Ozi explorer, ps2005, fugawi and hopefully the biggie, Pocketfms (aircraft navigation). Dunno about games. Ewallet and listpro , phatnotes, wordbook round out the biggies I think. All my little utilities , vxutil, pocketwarrior, mapopolis? (never heard of it working on a hpc) and more I can't remember now.

Oh, I never saw mention of a backup program in the manuals so I'll use Sprite. I heard it works on Sig3 so should work on the SL4.

Is there such a thing as a smart card->sd card converter? Better than leaving an empty slot.

About the mp. I'll bet I can just copy my 6651 flash card contents to the MP flash card, add some shortcuts and reg entries and it's done. A no-brainer I hope and the g/f is ready to go.

Poor neglected 720 sitting in a corner. I had such plans to build and compare it. No need now.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 9:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

what do you like in the ce.net manual?

ppc2002 apps: as i already said, sometimes you'll need to do a very easy hexedit. that's it.

wifi: standard prism will work nicely. just get this driver:
http://download.eagletec.com/ET-CWB1000/ET-CWB1000PocketCE4.exe
then use the built-in wifi config. oh you won't need vxutil and pocketwarrior (except if you want to log hotspots with a gps)

for the ratoc check out if there are ce4 drivers for it. you won't need an GUI. just the driver itself. no hacking.

battery.. oh no actual tests? ok you'll provide us with that

hm the programs i use and work (of course )
NF3, ftxbrowser, spreadce, wordbook. (vxutil works too)
didn't try the others. if any of them doesn't work do the same hexedit as in the case of ppc2002 apps. (it's described in the thread about acrobat reader 2.0 on a netbook pro.. more details in the linked description)
backup program.. hm sig3 has one built-in dunno why the need for another there have you heard anything bad about it?

smart card - sd converter? no way..

720: well it seems you don't mind the bigger size for an hpc.. if you did you'd like it

Edited by cmonex 2005-08-21 10:03 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 9