x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help with Wireless sync and file transfer between 720 and laptop

Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 5:45 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Alright all,
PLEASE HELP.
Last time I asked for help on this it was with respect to my Jornada 680...now that I have a 720 I have the identical issues. First of all, before anyone flames me, I have read all of the relevant tech articles on this site about this issue and tried what they suggest. I have an Orinoco Gold card installed in the 720, and an Entrasys Roamabout in my laptop. In addition to everything in the articles I've also tried everything that I can find in various posts. I've tried manually assigning the ip/dns/gateway...and it almost connected (it started to connect both on HPC and on Laptop and then timed out) I've tried Ad-hoc (they both seem to see each other...but activesync does nothing). I've tried AP.... I am really at my wits end. Can someone please, in simple words talk me through this...I'm normally quite a tech guy but I'll be darned if I can figure this out....help.

Thanks,
Macros
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 6:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

erm. not everything is clear to me here
you have only two wifi cards? then ad-hoc is the way to go. but you mention an AP too (access point i guess)..?
before it is cleared up, i can't help
 Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 2:53 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

cmonex,
thanks for trying to help with my questions. I'll be as specific as possible. Yes, I don't have a router, I have a laptop with a wireless card and a Jornada 720 with a wireless card. I only tried the AP method because the ad-hoc method had failed for me repeatedly. As I understand it from the literature provided on the site, I should set both cards to ad hoc (or peer to peer). And I should, using ipconfig, find the ip of the wireless card and type that into the primary WINS under the network driver. Then I soft reset the device. I have done that, and both agere clients show that the peer to peer network is recognized. But activesyncing does nothing.

DOes that help?

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Macros
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 3:05 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Very basic question. You have established a partnership over the serial cable first, or over IRDA first?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 10:37 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Macros746 - 2005-08-22 8:53 AM

cmonex,
thanks for trying to help with my questions. I'll be as specific as possible. Yes, I don't have a router, I have a laptop with a wireless card and a Jornada 720 with a wireless card. I only tried the AP method because the ad-hoc method had failed for me repeatedly. As I understand it from the literature provided on the site, I should set both cards to ad hoc (or peer to peer). And I should, using ipconfig, find the ip of the wireless card and type that into the primary WINS under the network driver. Then I soft reset the device. I have done that, and both agere clients show that the peer to peer network is recognized. But activesyncing does nothing.

hm, and does simple file transfer or ping work? i guess not.. but if yes, the solution is simple.

yeah, ad-hoc. you don't need WINS, you should enter that ip in DNS and gateway. (the laptop's ip, and it is something like 192.168.xx.xx, right?)
give another 192.168.xx.xx for the jornada for the IP entry.
(all of these should be entered for the appropriate driver in networks in control panel)
don't forget about SSID either
 Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 3:02 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for all of your help everyone. Last night I installed pocketlancer...and it worked for file transfer immediately. And to answer the previous question, yet I have established a partnership between the two via serial cable. I plan on attempting to steal the adapter settings that Pocketlancer uses and see if that helps my situation. I've found places to enter all that you say...ie....DNS and Gateway...but I don't see a place on the HPC to enter the SSID. I'm using the HPC Factor AGERE driver.

Thanks again everyone,
Macros
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 3:31 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hm if it works with that program (i don't really know pocketlancer), that's good then
you can steal the settings with vxutil.
look in CESD, you'll find a reghack you might need to apply to establish an AS connection over wlan..
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 4:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 2:34 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hello all,
thought you might be interested in an update. So, after messing with the reg. editor and following the instructions in the CESD I had the option to sync via the network...but it wouldn't connect. INterestingly, after running pocketlance I COULD connect and sync via wireless card. I'm now transferring files via drag and drop while connected wirelessly. What sort of speed should I be expecting? It still seems dreadfully slow. I don't seem to be getting anywhere need 10 mb/s...or even 1 mb/s...for that matter. I still don't understand while I am able to connect with this software but not without.....how would I use vxutil to steal the settings? I should add that interestingly enough...whatever conduit PocketLance opens works with both computers in AP mode....not ad-hoc. I'm thinking I'll just pay the 29 bucks for a license...of course if we could figure out how to do it without pocketlancer......

Thanks for all the help guys...we'll figure this out eventually.

Macros

Edited by Macros746 2005-08-24 2:46 AM
 Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 2:51 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Just another note on speed....I transferred an 145 MB file in about 13 minutes...which is a WHOLE lot better than via serial...but still not 10 mb/s fast......

Macrosb
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 2:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

vxutil info will show most relevant settings for all the adapters in your hpc.

I don't know what speed your laptop is but you shouldn't expect more than 250KB *tops* (2mbps) copying large files from unit to unit.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 7:07 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Macros746 - 2005-08-24 8:34 AM

Hello all,
thought you might be interested in an update. So, after messing with the reg. editor and following the instructions in the CESD I had the option to sync via the network...but it wouldn't connect. INterestingly, after running pocketlance I COULD connect and sync via wireless card. I'm now transferring files via drag and drop while connected wirelessly. What sort of speed should I be expecting? It still seems dreadfully slow. I don't seem to be getting anywhere need 10 mb/s...or even 1 mb/s...for that matter. I still don't understand while I am able to connect with this software but not without.....how would I use vxutil to steal the settings? I should add that interestingly enough...whatever conduit PocketLance opens works with both computers in AP mode....not ad-hoc. I'm thinking I'll just pay the 29 bucks for a license...of course if we could figure out how to do it without pocketlancer......

just look at the IP etc information in vxutil.

about speed.. it won't be 10 mbps (10 mbit/s or 1,2 mbyte/s). you should be able to get 1 mbps imo... maybe activesync is the culprit here, it's just slow. my 720 can still transfer with 1 mbps with activesync (with the totalcommander plugin) though. not more than that.. my ce.net devices are easily able to do more than that.
and without activesync it's much better, for example i tested the ftp in total commander CE, and i was able to reach 2 mbps. it applies to the 720, ce.net is better even with activesync. (i didn't test ftp though on ce.net.. would be interesting)
but 10 mpbs.. forget that! the wlan card can do 11 mbps only in theory.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10