x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Other loves? Besides hpcs?

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 6:11 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Let's show the world we're more dimensional than we present.

After all, any strangers reading the forums would figure the propellors attached to our beanies are wound a tad too tight. So what non-computer related passions do you have? Try to list something interactive, other than just things like watching TV. Any doofus can do that.

Me, my other passions are varied, aircraft among the top of the list. I was a pilot but health has kept me from being the PIC. A good friend, also a pilot, takes me on many fishing trips to remote lakes. I'm the navigater. I don't fish much but find lots of photo ops.

Ham radio was/is a love of mine. This darned internet has put a kibosh on ham. With MSN and email, gprs and cell phones, I don't use my ham stuff to chat anymore.

I also have a neglected 1973 Stratocaster and 1962 Twin reverb amp. I was a fanatic for playing and practising. I plan to play and practice more over the winter. I have a long way to go before the spirit of Jimi Hendrix has anything to worry about.

I have a bag of Contax cameras and precious Zeiss lenses. I had a complete darkroom but gave it up when mooching relatives come for an extended visit. I'll get back to film photography when I rebuild the darkroom, now the leeches are gone.

I had a stint with model helicopters, and still have a Kalt baron with .61 engine in a box. Next year I'll add some mini camera gear and use it and my hpc to tranfer live video. That should be really fun.

I can weld well, with arc/mig/tig/gas and used to make and repair all sorts of things. I'm a "do not toss" guy. Fix it instead. Keep it out of the landfill.

Finally, before my health went, I was an avid snowmobiler, even camping in the wilds at -40C. It was nothing for me and friends to take off on 4000km trips when the snow flew. I think I miss that more than anything. It was a real test of man verses nature. I looked forward to winter instead of dreading it as I do now.
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 6:53 PM
#
Wally, how old are you? No offense at all, but I sense that a large number of the regular posters here are of a more mature age... This is just curiosity speaking

I myself have a number of interests other than HPCs as well, unfortunately most of them require funds that I do not have due to my current situation in life

I'm a 20 year old college student, finished one out of four semesters of Electronics Engineering Technology and on a bit of an educational hiatus (taking a semester off) while I recover from an unexpected layoff early in the summer.

As my field of study suggests, I'm an electronics nerd. Specifically, small electronics. I love anything that you can hold in your hands that blinks and makes silly noises and does things that those born in the 1500s would have called crazy black magik.

This electronics love, or even lust (teehee) comprises the majority of my hobbies and interests. I'm a huge cell phone nerd (worked for AT&T Wireless for a year and a half), a big handheld and console gaming nerd, the list goes on. I love my electronics, they're what makes me tick.

I'm also big into puzzles, both 2D and 3D. I wish I had the time for more of them but I'm rather busy with work (and the woman - ack!) and my primary love takes precedance.

Lastly, I'm a big lover of music and spend hours searching out new bands and the like. If anyone out there enjoys a good dash of progressive rock/metal please do let me know.

Edit: And I'm reading the 6th Harry Potter

Edited by corporate 2005-08-22 6:55 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 8:52 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Let's see, I am also one who likes to take stuff apart to see if I can put it together in some kind of working order. I just turned 30 and am an Industrial Engineering student at Texas State University. I decided my General Studies degree didn't cut the beans. I love to walk my dog; I go to the college football and baseball games when I have time to.
I work full time at a large electronic manufacturing company here in Texas, so that gives me plenty of time to take things apart (and my job depends on being able to get it to work) and fixing them. It is hard making time for other hobbies since I take 8-9 hours a semester while being on call for work. I love to play golf, and skydiving, I am a knife collector and like to go to the shooting range. Yes I am also one of those nerds who watch pre-season NFL on Monday night because the Cowboys are playing. Who cares if I have to wake up at 4:30 am tomorrow? I have missed football.
Oh and congratulate me on my Nephew who was just born today 8p 14oz., my sister named him after me. I feel so loved!
No really I am very honered!!!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 1:53 AM
#
H/PC Elder

wallythacker - 2005-08-22 3:11 PM
Try to list something interactive, other than just things like watching TV. Any doofus can do that.

OK, I admit it, I am a lazy bum. All I do is watching TV and playing with computers and games, all the live long day All at my desk too, naturally

However I do have yet another off-topic thread I've been itching to start... don't wanna ruin the fun yet tho. I better go out and take those pictures before the summer ends...
 Top of the page
Jornada Queen Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 12:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

corporate - 2005-08-22 6:53 PM

Lastly, I'm a big lover of music and spend hours searching out new bands and the like. If anyone out there enjoys a good dash of progressive rock/metal please do let me know.

Edit: And I'm reading the 6th Harry Potter

Corporate,

I'm a Potter fan as well, and generally a book lover and writer. I also love music, and find that when working on web development projects, blues keeps me going. It's very strange though because when I'm doing anything but coding, I listen to progressive rock and alternative.

The need to write when and wherever without lugging around a laptop was what introduced me to H/PCs.
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 12:50 PM
#
Jornada Queen - 2005-08-23 10:36 AM
Corporate,

I'm a Potter fan as well, and generally a book lover and writer. I also love music, and find that when working on web development projects, blues keeps me going. It's very strange though because when I'm doing anything but coding, I listen to progressive rock and alternative.

The need to write when and wherever without lugging around a laptop was what introduced me to H/PCs.

That's it, we're a match, obviously we must now get married and share our love of Harry Potter and progressive rock forever
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 1:36 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT!!! You twisted my arm!! My love really isn't HPCs, but trains. (I only joined the HPC factor to speak to new people, and thats a lie.)

Seriously, I do love HPCs, why do I have 2 otherwise? Apart from meeting my friend from Chichester (only one, or so it seems!) on a regular occasion, tends to take me around Chichester, plus I take my laptop to play games, watch DVD's etc round his house (He doesn't have a single computer! He has an internet enabled TV )
Apart from that, I make millions of items as you all probably know, for Trainz (www.railroadsimulator.com). They mainly consist of trains, from some home grown designs, to todays modern rolling stock and that odd piece of history that can be a pain to create. Including several parts and other items.
[IMG]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/639/units3vk.jpg[/IMG]
Sometimes, I go off and annoy my sister, who also annoys me at times too. (Damm sisters, what are they good for? Apart from using and abusing each other!)
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 1:50 PM
#
Wessex_nut - 2005-08-23 11:36 AM

ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT!!! You twisted my arm!! My love really isn't HPCs, but trains. (I only joined the HPC factor to speak to new people, and thats a lie.)

Seriously, I do love HPCs, why do I have 2 otherwise? Apart from meeting my friend from Chichester (only one, or so it seems!) on a regular occasion, tends to take me around Chichester, plus I take my laptop to play games, watch DVD's etc round his house (He doesn't have a single computer! He has an internet enabled TV )
Apart from that, I make millions of items as you all probably know, for Trainz (www.railroadsimulator.com). They mainly consist of trains, from some home grown designs, to todays modern rolling stock and that odd piece of history that can be a pain to create. Including several parts and other items.
[IMG]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/639/units3vk.jpg[/IMG]
Sometimes, I go off and annoy my sister, who also annoys me at times too. (Damm sisters, what are they good for? Apart from using and abusing each other!)

An infatuation with trains? We never guessed!

Every time I look at your signature I think of Transport Tycoon/Locomotion, and it makes me want to play them.

But I'm at work, and I really shouldn't (not can't, mind you - I installed OpenTTD last week when it was really slow ).
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 2:25 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Later post: Oops!!! Wrong tags! Should look like this:

Corporate:
I actully made stuff for locomotion, the railbus'es (for cheapies, so they can run a service) and the railcar in tram and train versions. I am also the one that had a "hissing fit", can't remember who said that!
Anyway, the reason why I added is because I could use the same mesh for 2 different programs, adding better use. Why not use the same mesh twice?

Edited by Wessex_nut 2005-08-23 2:33 PM
 Top of the page
Jornada Queen Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 2:28 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

corporate - 2005-08-23 12:50 PM

That's it, we're a match, obviously we must now get married and share our love of Harry Potter and progressive rock forever

Sounds like I'd be playing second fiddle to your love for electronics.
If you had a cool toolbelt, I'd reconsider though, (and providing I could borrow your miniature Phillips and Torx sets. Mine always get worn out or borrowed and never returned). Cheers!
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 3:03 PM
#
Jornada Queen - 2005-08-23 12:28 PM

corporate - 2005-08-23 12:50 PM

Sounds like I'd be playing second fiddle to your love for electronics.
If you had a cool toolbelt, I'd reconsider though, (and providing I could borrow your miniature Phillips and Torx sets. Mine always get worn out or borrowed and never returned). Cheers!

I suppose I'm going to have to disappoint No toolbelt, but I do have 3 tool boxes full of various electronics tools (soldering tools, screwdrives, everything a boy could want or need ).
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 3:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I like Harry Potter as well. I read the first five books and seen the first 3 movies, but have not read 6th book .
here is link to harry potter website: http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/main/homepage/intro.html
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11