x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WTB: Sandisk WIFI/128mb combo card

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 1:35 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I dawned on me this could be very useful for a few reasons.
I read another member bought one recently for $26 from Eagle (sandisk wifi and 128mb)

Any hot deals you know of or have one to sell for a reasonable price?
TY
 Top of the page
nevalabs Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 2:08 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

wallythacker - 2005-08-23 4:35 AM

I read another member bought one recently for $26 from Eagle (sandisk wifi and 128mb)

Any hot deals you know of or have one to sell for a reasonable price?
TY

Here ? $18.99 Shipped!!
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CPM10258

Regards,
Claudio Neves
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-31 4:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Help needed here. It will cost me $24CDN to import each card via UPS. Retarded.

The ground shipping to anywhere in the US is free, that's good.

Is anyone in the US willing to order 2 for me, receive them ,then reship them as gifts?
I'll figure out all the charges and Paypal you before you order.

PM me if you re willing to help out.

TY

Unless you know of a better deal or have one to sell privately for close to this price.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-08-31 7:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

nevalabs - 2005-08-24 2:08 PM

wallythacker - 2005-08-23 4:35 AM

I read another member bought one recently for $26 from Eagle (sandisk wifi and 128mb) Any deals you know of or have one to sell for a reasonable price?

Here ? $18.99 Shipped!!
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CPM10258
Claudio Neves

That card is not the same as we are discussing. The combo card that comes with the PCMCIA adapter and wifi combo card costs significantly more than the CF combo card your link goes to.

Far as I know Wally, Eagle Computer is still selling the Sandisk Combo for $26 USD.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-31 8:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bruisedquasar - 2005-09-01 1:19 AM

óThat card is not the same as we are discussing. The combo card that comes with the PCMCIA adapter and wifi combo card costs significantly more than the CF combo card your link goes to.

the pcmcia adapter costs about 10$ or less...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-09-01 4:21 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes that is the same card with the PC Card adapter, and yes its regular price is much much higher... Just look how much they robbed me. It was long time ago, but they still haven't lowered the price yet:
http://www.compusmart.com/Product/Default.aspx?SupplierPartNo=321501

I'm guessing these cheap deals are from overstock. There's no way the wholesale price can be lower than that. Sorry Wally I wasn't much help. Maybe you can find another online store with cheaper shipping?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-01 10:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It's not the shipping Takwu, it's the handling costs imposed by UPS. $22+ CDN on a $21 CDN item isn't justifiable in any form. I've made other arrangements to my satisfaction. I just hope the cards aren't as troublesome as some posts I've read.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 10:51 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The original list price for the Sandisk 802.11b CF + 128MB card and sandisk PCMCIA (PC Card same thing just marketing name to make PC dubbed cards seem new tech) adapter is over $100.

I think I discovered the reason some resellers have managed to buy new ones at such steep discounts to resell at steep discount. A lot of windows lap and note book owners complaint they cannot get the card to work. I decided to see if my (last of the real quality Compaqs) compaq notebook could run the card.

I think I found the problem. Before owners of these Prism II reference chipset cards give up be aware of this. Sandisk puts out crappy CDs and drivers. I ran the fancy looking install program and could not get my card to even light up period. In fact, when I followed Sandisk instructions to the T, the satellite icon did nothing.

I tried closing everything but bare minimum Win ME, uninstalling and reinstalling with the Sandisk mini CD and still no go. I then manual search and destroyed all registry and Hard drive Sandisk installed files. No go.

Finally, I concluded the problem is Sandisk install program. I by passed install & manually installed the Sandisk utility an drivers. The card the lit right up and worked likes a charm. It is not nearly the card my Netgear USB adapter is but it is also 802.11g and is easily directional with the Netgear furnished 6 foot extension cable.

The Sandisk utility comes of with weird reports too. It shows two access points in detail that I know I cannot possibly pick up from my home. One is Starbucks. Closest Starbucks to me is 21 dense metropolitan miles away.

I am now going to try different third party drivers for Prism II "referenced" chipsets in my NEC790 to see if I can get the Sandisk running on a handheld.

---Bruised
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 1:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I actually used this card for PC too. I was in Hong Kong and the apartment I stayed in supplied broadband thru ethernet. I tried to add a wireless router, but it couldn't get an IP. So I had to put the router in AP mode, forced an IP in the subnet, and used their DHCP directly for my PC.

If I used an ethernet connection thru the AP, it worked without problem, but also without a point because it wouldn't be wireless I had a Netgear CardBus WiFi for my laptop, and it couldn't get an IP thru it. I thought I was stuck.

Then I suddenly remembered the Sandisk I brought for my Smartbook. I also had the PC Card adapter with me, but not the CD. So I went to Sandisk website (while wired), and downloaded their drivers. It installed and to my surprise it grabbed an IP directly from the apartment's DHCP, thru the wireless AP.

The PC was of course my Vaio C1MVM, running XP Home

Anyway I think the reason they're so cheap is because it doesn't work with PPC2000, which is IMO the majority of the CF WiFi buyers. All the Jornada 5xx and Casio E-1xx owners would be happy with a Linksys, since it works with their OS and CPU type. Sandisk is PPC2002 or 2003 - ARM only. It also doesn't work with the Dell Axim X5, a popular PPC2002. This adapter came out very late, after PPC2003 came out I think, by which time CF slot has become very rare. A lot of the newer PPCs, especially those that still had a CF slot, already has WiFi built-in.

I know it sounds a bit fishy, but I do think it's the combination of a lot of factors that constituted to the failure of this Sandisk product

wally you can now slap me for going lightyears off your topic
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 28