x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Extending Li-ion Battery Pack Life

bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 10:43 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I was very skeptical about the claims of a group of very experienced Casio BE-300 users about li-ion battery maintenance that runs counter to what corporate employed battery engineers say about Li-ion batteries. With my own experiments with common Alkaline batteries in mind **, I wondered if this small group was correct. I posted their general claims here. To my surprise PDA users with much more knowledge of Handheld PDAs than I, responded positively, telling me that there is something to the claims. Consequently, I decided to post a link to the claims and advice for users to read and decide for themselves. I intend to try out the method described.

http://www.be300.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=510

**[I discovered major Alkaline battery makers dishonestly terrify users against even thinking about recharging common store alkalines. I discovered charging AA, AAA, C, D & 9-volt, even lantern (I use alligator clip wires to connect 9-volt battery charger terminals to the lantern battery terminals. I also recharge N batteries by devising a simple aluminum foil wad to connect the N battery to charger terminals in a AA battery niche. I have successfully charged button batteries too, expensive Casio PDA-Watch batteries ($10 each.) Its tricky because you must catch them before the power reduces significantly. Once they are weak, charges are too short lived to be worthwhile). recharging allkaline batteries is certainly possible, practical and can be safely done.

In my experiments, I did not ever have a single potentially dangerous episode. By using a simple, NON-timer or non-automatic ni-cad charger (it charges slowly and takes a long time to make an alkaline warm), I routinely recharge alkaline batteries. Off brands work best. I discovered the worst batteries to try to recharge are major label batteries, especially Duracell. Eveready isn't bad. My favorites are Dollar General brand batteries. The more expensive the alkaline, the more likely the case will erupt on you. Off brand batteries will corrode noticeably before the case bursts. As soon as you see any corrosion discard.

IMPORTANT - try recharge before the charge is noticeably reduced and you must recharge before the charge is significantly low. REMINDER and WARNING - I Do Not use either an alkaline or heavy duty battery charger, only a ni-cad charger. I advise against using anything but a ni-cad charger plug into a reliable timer. I think the potential danger is case bursting, overheating of chemicals and resulting fire. On rare occassions, I have had case bursting (it is non-violent with my Radio Shack Ni-Cad charger. Some friends have heard violent sounds from Sony, Hitachi & Duracel brands they left charging too long. I neither buy them or recharge them). So long as the battery is not Duracell or some other major brand name that warns buyers not to recharge, I have experienced no danger, just a small chemical residue mess to clean up with my Dremel. Panasonic seems good to recharge and I have had good results from Fuji & Eveready Gold, but I strongly advise against recharging Sony or Duracell labelled alkalines.

I recharge batteries used in remote control cars as soon as the car starts slowing down. I taught my grandson to follow this practice and he has since he was five. His incentive was he noticed I was correct. Instead of getting just 15 to 30 minute use from eight AA batteries, we have used the same set of AAs for many hours. As soon as his big car begins to slow, he turns it off, removes the batteries and gives them to me. I recharge them 1 1/2 hours and off he is again.

***I always recharge with an inexpensive power plug timer and set it for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. I have a powerful little SW radio that is excellent for clear night time reception of distant medium range local AM stations. It will deplete two alkaline C batteries in 15 hours. Every six hours of use, I recharge the batteries for 90 minutes. I rotate two sets, one for use and one for charge. I have used the same two sets of (Eveready Gold) C type for four months now and I run this SW radio on power sucking DX setting every night for several hours.***]

...Of course, I am not advocating anyone do any of this and I caution that batteries and household electrical current devices are potentially dangerous things to always be treated with caution. Anyone under 18 years old positively should not try to recharge alkaline batteries, especially if there is a warning not to do it on the battery. I advise adults to at least wear a welding mask and welding gloves.

----Bruised
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 11:23 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

bruised,

i'm not with you at this. why don't you just buy rechargeable ni-mh's?
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 6:48 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well,

At this point I am just sharing two things:

1) Though I am not anti-business, I find I live in an era of very corrupt American government, my fellow Americans seem asleep at the wheel about this and the corruption of our Government legislators, judges and bureaucratic elites poisons our business market, particularly corporate America. I expose any why I can rank dishonesty that our greedy corrupt corporate types use on people. I began this mission a few years BEFORE the huge ENRON lead corporate scandals. By spreading the truth, I hope to run a guerrilla campaign against our corrupt monolith. We have a growing population of working poor young families (something many erroneously deny) who seek ways to economize.

2) I am just sharing what I have discovered. There is some of the 'do it because it can be done' in me. Like the person who restores the original audio buttons to a custom build J680e, knowing the speaker stinks and there is no headset socket.

Currently, I am researching engineering parts catalogues for rechargeable lithium AA, AAA, C & D type batteries. The public doesn't know about these products companies use for government and special enterprise uses. What amazes me is I can get the C and D type for under $2 each, AAA for under $1 & AA for near $1. I paid much more for useless major brand "rechargeable" batteries.

As for Ni-mh, I tried them and found them as useless to me as ni-cads. They are overpriced and when charged could not even activate the high tech devices I need them for. Have they been improved?

I have a new device I am experimenting with. A Chinese company designed and made a small four cell AA & AAA battery conditioner based on Thomas Edison's theory and belief that batteries can be reconditioned electronically, even dead batteries. I know the new retail battery stores have professional reconditioners but they are too expensive, too large, and too complicated for the average person. The "RE-Nit" device is $29.95, FCC approved for home use and automated. It reconditions Ni-mh, lithium, alkaline, etc. I have used it two months now and find it to be the real thing. I even tried out the claim that reconditioning new batteries extends their charge length. It does.

---Bruised
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 7:37 PM
#
H/PC Elder

So correct me, how does your post help in "Extending Li-ion Battery Pack Life"?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 8:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bruisedquasar - 2005-08-24 12:48 AM

As for Ni-mh, I tried them and found them as useless to me as ni-cads. They are overpriced and when charged could not even activate the high tech devices I need them for. Have they been improved?
---Bruised

are those high-tech devices designed for ni-mh's?
if not (i.e. they use li-ion/polymer batteries), don't be surprised.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10