x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows Vista Discussion Area

1 2 3
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 3:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hi,
This is a new thread to discuss your opinions on the upcoming Windows operating system, Vista.

(LH_landingPage_hero_blank2.jpg)

(LH_landingPage_logo2.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments LH_landingPage_hero_blank2.jpg (23KB - 15 downloads)
Attachments LH_landingPage_logo2.gif (7KB - 12 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 4:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well, er, you're the thread starter. Voice an opinion
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 4:57 PM
#
I have very mixed feelings about Vista, mostly negative. I think we can look forward to more privacy breaches, more DRM and less say over the operating system you just paid $400 for.

We'll see. I don't see it working out very well
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 6:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

It's obvious that Microsoft is trying to live up to Apple's Mac OS X. The Transparent windows, RSS, etc. I wont waste my money on it because 1.) No ActiveSync 3.8 Compatibilty, only ActiveSync 4.0. 2.) Probably overpriced (I would only spend that much for either XP Pro or 2000 Pro instead of XP Home . 3.) Linux is catching up with better security and compatibility on Windows PCs. 4.) My HP Pavillion Notebook will probably be very slow with Vista...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 6:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Longhorn is quite simply an OEM's dream. It is designed for OEM's to maximise OEM revenue - may be that's just a sign of the times what with PC hardware being so cheap.

The simple truth of the matter is that if you want Longhorn, you'll be buying a new PC. Running it on older hardware is going to be a frivolous pursuit. Running it on 32-bit will rapidly become an afterthought.

If you've just brought yourself a 3 GHz 32-bit system - Why have you just brought yourself a 3 GHz 32-bit system?
Longhorn will be the dual core, 64-bit hybrid sugar daddy. For anyone else, unless you are in the market my advice to you is simple.

Max out your RAM, IDE/SATA channels and pick up a cheap deal on a new processor for whatever the latest BIOS upgrade to your system can give you. Get yourself a Firewire/USB2 combi card and stick that in the PCI bus. Sit back and run Windows XP into the ground up to the SP4 release (probably the final SP release) and upgrade then when you actually need to.

A PIII 600 will more than happily run XP with a minimum of 384MB RAM (I don't suggest you run it on anything 3GHz or otherwise with lower RAM). Longhorn will probably be pushing it on a 2GHz P4 and 1024MB

As much as I'd like to tinker with Longhorn, I declined to get involved with the beta effectively because I don't have the hardware to sensibly run it. I'm also not interested in the fluff, I turn it all off with a .reg file and reboot.

So there you are, that's my view.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 7:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-08-25 12:37 AM

So there you are, that's my view.

huh you just said in another tread that it's no good to upgrade when you don't really need to.
the above sounds the opposite to me! (at least with regard to hardware)

about longhorn or w/e.. your reason for declining seems to imply that longhorn is nothing more than xp if you don't count the fluff. (that's exactly my impression anyway)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 7:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

huh, I think you've lost me on this one.

If you have a computer with an antiquated cpu and no memory, and are looking down the barrel of getting a new PC, upgrade the thing to make it last a little longer - the point is to avoid going and buying Longhorn retail.

Erm, your impression there is a bit wide of the mark
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 7:45 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sorry it was a bad joke (of course i understood why you recommend upgrading hardware)

though my impression of windows vista.. it wasn't a joke. i've read a lot of nice features will be left out in the end so i'll forget about it.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 9:06 PM
#
H/PC Elder

WindowsVista ... hmmm ... I dun need flashing windows ... nor fast video ... nor fast 3d ... nor 3d! ... nor 160gb hdd ... nor any of the stuffs it offers ...

I only need

HARDWARE
PIII-500
512MB ram
mobo with built-in video, lan, usb2.0, soundchip
20gb~30gb hdd
DVD CDRW combo* optional ... DVD would be good enuff!

SOFTWARE

... hmmm ... FireFox?
oh ya, eMbedded Tools
SmartFTP
FreshDownload
Trillian - Multi protocol IM
... what else ...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 9:10 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

well my hp pavillion notebook has the following specs: 2.80 GHZ P-4, 512 MB of RAM, 55 GB Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive. My computer would be sluggish if I installed Vista
 Top of the page
Dexxta
Dexxta Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 10:51 PM
#
Personly for me I think the whole thing is a damn kick in the ass.

Not long ago a Pentium 266 was good enough for me to work on, it did what I needed it to do. The ONLY reason to upgrade is when MS forces you to, and they do it often. I had to get XP to install the new Visual Studio, and Im sure they will do the same with Vista (Oh I hate that name). We will all, at some point, find ourselves in a position where we cannot run some new software without Vista and faced with an ultimatum we will have to decide if we are going to be bullied into it or not. I am yet to see a feature (That wasnt dropped) that makes it any better than XP.

For me the Pentuim 266 worked right up till I had to get a new PC, by then my P4 2gig was old tech when I got it new, but Ill keep it till Im forced to upgrade again. Ill eventualy get Vista I suppose, but not without kicking and screaming all the way.

There is no need to upgrade. If my HPC can do what I want, and my desktop can act as its companion, then Im happy as things are. (The Desktop is the HPC companion, not the other way around )
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 1:00 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

may have to install windows vista (That name is stupid!!) when forced to on one of my 2 xp pcs.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 7:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Dexxta,

I'm with you guys. Up until 1998 my desktop PC was a 486 DX2 at 66MHz - admitedly I did have a P1 MMX laptop.
I then moved to an off the shelf Dimension PIII 500... but Dell and I had a little falling out over certain problems that they didn't want in the IT press... so we amicably parted company on that score. After that a PIII 733, and I only changed to a 1.7 when the CPU blew a gasket to discover that you just can't get the replacement hardware for high-end PIII these days.
... and here I still am (though on the odd occasion wishing my PIII 733 were still alive and kicking as the P4 just doesn't have the teeth that the coppermine/tualatin did).

My next upgrade point (as a non-gamer) will probably be not when MS forces my hand, but when I need something that hasn't been ported down to 32-bit - or may be the MS / 32-bit conundrum will prove to be the same player.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 8:12 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2005-08-25 3:10 AM

well my hp pavillion notebook has the following specs: 2.80 GHZ P-4, 512 MB of RAM, 55 GB Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive. My computer would be sluggish if I installed Vista

my PC is much weaker. half of the Ghz and celeron only, less ram (384). i win only with my hdd's (220 GB in total) and dvd-rw drive but the point is none of these will help me to run windows vista. there'll be a long long time to come before i'm forced to upgrade to win vista.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 8:17 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Dexxta - 2005-08-25 4:51 AM

Not long ago a Pentium 266 was good enough for me to work on, it did what I needed it to do.

There is no need to upgrade. If my HPC can do what I want, and my desktop can act as its companion, then Im happy as things are. (The Desktop is the HPC companion, not the other way around )

i absolutely agree ..
i had a 166 Mhz P1 (underclocked to 133 for some reason ) until late 2002 and i was fine with it. however i'm happy to have upgraded to XP as it's much more stable than win9x (win95 and 98 for years, uh )! XP is already perfect and i won't upgrade again... i got this PC for free, and i won't spend money on pc upgrades (except hdd's!). i'm wondering if i still had the 133 Mhz P1 but for this free PC. (ok, probably not as i started to need some stuff since then that the P1 wouldn't be really able to cope with)
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.223 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 9