x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

So getting a pda is supposed to reduce carryons

1 2
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 8:53 AM
#
H/PC Elder

So getting a pda is supposed to reduce carryons ...

The epitome of gadgetry gone wrong ...

Edited by Snappy! 2005-08-25 8:54 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 9:08 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

is this your own pic? you and a zaurus?
ahah at first sight the keyboard looks like a laptop style hpc keyboard (although small) here.. it's so deceiving

you're on the right track here.. this is exactly the reason i've never liked accessories. i have ONE wlan, bluetooth and memory card and spare battery and i don't want more..
(in fact i have now two wlan cards, two bluetooth cards and don't talk about memory cards.. but i carry/use only one of these.)
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 10:57 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

This is one reason i still like the 720... everything in one box, without cables etc - unlike the nexio... (from which this was posted)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 12:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

lol, i carry my ac adapter, serial sync cable, usb to serial cable, h/pc itself, and the cradle. I wish I had a USB IRDA Adapter so I could eliminate the serial sync cable and the usb to serial cable...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 12:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

nope ... that's not mine .... ain't got no C3000!!! *yikes*

I saw this on the web ... its really funny! ... esp the way the accessories are laid out for picture ... its almost like one of those press release of a store robbery, where the loot is laid out for inspection!

But if this is the amount of gadgets to get things done, I wonder why not just get a subnotebook!

ok ok, no instantOn, poor batt etc ... but still ... this whole lot will take up a full-size notebook bag anyway!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 1:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah i already found the site of the australian guy who took the pic..

it's really nonsense

and the battery life probly isn't better than that of a notebook!...

hpc's battery life is excellent. but a zaurus (or ppc or palm) with only a one-cell 3.6V battery that's not likely to be over 1000-1500 mAh? it'll be poor especially with wifi...
only a couple of ppc's (HP, of course!) and palms (again only a couple of the newer ones) have great battery life

so that'll leave instant-on and pocketability.

Edited by cmonex 2005-08-25 1:45 PM
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 1:46 PM
#
cmonex - 2005-08-25 11:43 AM

yeah i already found the site of the australian guy who took the pic..

it's really nonsense

and the battery life probly isn't better than that of a notebook!...

hpc's battery life is excellent. but a zaurus (or ppc or palm) with only a one-cell 3.6V battery that's not likely to be over 1000-1500 mAh? it'll be poor especially with wifi...
only a couple of ppc's (HP, of course!) and palms have great battery life

so that'll leave instant-on and pocketability.

I've a friend with an ipaq who made a custom battery sled, gives him just over 7000 mAh of juice. Now THAT's a battery!

Of course, it completely kills the portability advantage of the ipaq.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 1:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

corporate - 2005-08-25 7:46 PM

I've a friend with an ipaq who made a custom battery sled, gives him just over 7000 mAh of juice. Now THAT's a battery!

Of course, it completely kills the portability advantage of the ipaq.

ahah again it's better with a hpc.. an extended battery doesn't count so much.
i can make a 7200 mAh battery for the jornada 72x anytime (probly it would work with jornada 680, 680e, 690, 690e too). i just don't need it and don't have 79$ + 48$ + shipping (48 is the price of the 2400 mAh cells). it surely would beat that ipaq.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 9:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I guess the scale does tip over to HPCs in terms of batt life and ... batt life! ... when one considers the other things like an updated browser, TFT screen (CG something LCD) instead of DSTN, VGA resolution (ok, its debatible as to which is better. But Jornada users will all agree that have HVGA in the slightly smaller screen gives a crisper display than the larger screens on the MobilePros.) etc etc ... then the scale tips over to the Zaurus.

But still, this guy really has it all!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 1:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

no, i don't agree, snappy

there's tft hpc's with very good browsers.
it isn't the fault of the majority of hpc's that they don't have tft etc...

btw tft consumes a lot more than dstn. so this tradeoff might be worth it if you don't really mind dstn..

hm, i have a jornada (actually more than one! ) and a MP too... the MP's display isn't worse imo. but that's me (who can't tell 65k colours from 24 bit colours). what is for sure is that actually i like it (MP 900 screen) very much. but then i like j72x screen and sig3 screen too. don't ask me to choose which one i like best.
and VGA on 3,5".. phew.. i wouldn't go smaller than sig3. forget vga. most of the vga ppc users hardly use vga mode..

so in my *humble* opinion the scale doesn't tip over to the zaurus.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 3:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-08-26 11:23 AM

no, i don't agree, snappy

there's tft hpc's with very good browsers.
it isn't the fault of the majority of hpc's that they don't have tft etc...

btw tft consumes a lot more than dstn. so this tradeoff might be worth it if you don't really mind dstn..

hmmm ... ok, so tell me, how many of the TFT HPCs has very good browsers? If there are a lot of HPCs with good browsers, why is there all the threads asking for an updated browser? For that matter, how many HPCs has TFT vs those with DTSN? And for the records, devices like SL4 would not count as a HPC actually ... let's see, MP900, NetBook Pro, Sigmarion, SmartBook vs all the Jornadas, all the MobilePros minus the 900s, CLIOs, Velos, the Compaq HPCs ...

oh yeah, of cos its not the fault of the HPCs that they don't have tft! Its the OEM's fault! (hint: HPCs are devices that are designed by OEMs. They do not design themselves.)

I don't think power consumption is that big a deal. Your sig3 is a TFT LCD device too ... and its speced battery life is not all that bad is it?

No, its not a tradeoff. A tradeoff is when you have a choice and you decide one against the other. There just was not much TFT HPCs back in the 2000s compared to the mainstream HPCs with DSTN screens.

cmonex - 2005-08-26 11:23 AM

hm, i have a jornada (actually more than one! ) and a MP too... the MP's display isn't worse imo. but that's me (who can't tell 65k colours from 24 bit colours). what is for sure is that actually i like it (MP 900 screen) very much. but then i like j72x screen and sig3 screen too. don't ask me to choose which one i like best.
and VGA on 3,5".. phew.. i wouldn't go smaller than sig3. forget vga. most of the vga ppc users hardly use vga mode..

so in my *humble* opinion the scale doesn't tip over to the zaurus.

You are comparing apple vs orange. Your MP900 is a TFT for pete's sake.

so, what do the rest of the folks think?

Edited by Snappy! 2005-08-26 3:24 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 4:34 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2005-08-26 8:12 PM

your MP900 is a TFT for pete's sake.
The MP900 is a 8.1" STN actually....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 5:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2005-08-26 9:12 PM

hmmm ... ok, so tell me, how many of the TFT HPCs has very good browsers? If there are a lot of HPCs with good browsers, why is there all the threads asking for an updated browser? For that matter, how many HPCs has TFT vs those with DTSN? And for the records, devices like SL4 would not count as a HPC actually ... let's see, MP900, NetBook Pro, Sigmarion, SmartBook vs all the Jornadas, all the MobilePros minus the 900s, CLIOs, Velos, the Compaq HPCs ...

oh yeah, of cos its not the fault of the HPCs that they don't have tft! Its the OEM's fault! (hint: HPCs are devices that are designed by OEMs. They do not design themselves.)

I don't think power consumption is that big a deal. Your sig3 is a TFT LCD device too ... and its speced battery life is not all that bad is it?

No, its not a tradeoff. A tradeoff is when you have a choice and you decide one against the other. There just was not much TFT HPCs back in the 2000s compared to the mainstream HPCs with DSTN screens.

You are comparing apple vs orange. Your MP900 is a TFT for pete's sake.

so, what do the rest of the folks think?

um well..

the 900 and 900C has a dstn screen. C:Amie knows better
too bad. it's a HPC from 2003-2004-2005 and it still has dstn. same screen as MP780 and 790. they're even interchangeable.

tft + good browser: i admit there's not a lot of them. i own one, that is the sigmarion 3. umm, the netfront 3.0 on intermec 6651 is actually quite good, wally will tell you!
and then smartbook g138 and variants. netbook pro.. and if only data evolution had been able to start manufacturing their devices...
ah i see you already listed them as well sorry!
oh, does the nexio count? (bigger screen than zaurus and windows ce.net ok, not a true hpc. but it could be if it were a little bigger with better keyboard.)

it's really not hpc's fault, in the sense they could be tft easily. it's not an inherent hpc thing to have dstn (and outdated browser). that's how i meant it. see my poiint?

you know why i talked about power consumption in connection with tft displays?
i'm not satisfied with the sig3's battery life. no not at all i'm going to order an extended battery for it. or at least two standard batts if i can't find an extended for a good price!
i'm so used to the jornada (dstn.. ) battery life that i can't stand it.
that's why i think it is a tradeoff. or carry a lot of spare batts.. i will.. (actually i already have one for my jornada 728, but it's never needed ahahaha.)
why don't i just go back to the jornada 728 instead of buying batts... i just like ce.net and some things about the sig3.

so i hope i could clear up some stuff!

Edited by cmonex 2005-08-26 5:54 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-26 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ooops ... my slip on the MP900x being a TFT.

hmmm ... I tot my point right at the start listed battery life as one of the major points on the HPC side vs TFT on the Zaurii side ... ...

ah well ... whatever ...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 2:41 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Wait...so if the 720 has a 1500mAh battery, and can last a maximum of 9 hours...than when I upgrade my battery, which would be 7 times the capacity...wouldn't I be able to theoretically run my 720 for 63 hours?

What was that about fuel cells running them for only 40 hours?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 9