x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

So getting a pda is supposed to reduce carryons

1 2
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 3:19 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-08-27 12:41 PM

Wait...so if the 720 has a 1500mAh battery, and can last a maximum of 9 hours...than when I upgrade my battery, which would be 7 times the capacity...wouldn't I be able to theoretically run my 720 for 63 hours?

What was that about fuel cells running them for only 40 hours?

Theoretically yes ... but when the cells are drained at a different charge value, ie < 1/10C or something, then the total mAh changes as well. Factor in the natural charge loss over time (> 30hours), then you may/should get say 50hours for your 7 times capacity or something ... not too shabby I say!

So why don't you upgrade your battery and do a test? And post the results ...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 4:49 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

how would you be able to upgrade your battery so that it'll have 7 times of this capacity?
you can upgrade the extended battery to 7200 mAh, that's still far from 7 times.

so share your secret with us please
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 4:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hum, natural charge loss? self discharging is very low with li-ion batteries. i wouldn't count that
usually the less C the more realized capacity. is this different at very small values? or you meant ni-mh there?
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 5:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Snappy! - 2005-08-25 1:53 PM

So getting a pda is supposed to reduce carryons ...

The epitome of gadgetry gone wrong ...

Hehehe!!!! Nope! Just adds more bulk to the bag!

I carry the following AS STANDARD:

2x Jornada batteries
1x Jornada 710718 (Like Duh!)
4x Flash Cards + adapter
1x Wireless card (why not?)
1x headphone set
1x 56k modem (718's didn't have modems!)
1x dongle RE above.
(1x serial cable in laptop bag!)
Note, get 1x CR2032 battery for backup purposes, we can't have a backup battery failing on the move now, can we?

I think thats it! I generally don't need the power supply. If you see my other off-topic thread, you'll see what I carry as standard for my laptop!

Anyway, that reminds me, I need to hitch myself up with a custom case! Maybe I end up trying to write a tutorial for that insted! Lets see, I got plenty of canvas (that I'd like to tie dye), a zip somewhere I think, plenty of cotton+padding. Now, shall I add a space for the PSU as well even though I generally don't carry it?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 7:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-08-27 2:51 PM

hum, natural charge loss? self discharging is very low with li-ion batteries. i wouldn't count that
usually the less C the more realized capacity. is this different at very small values? or you meant ni-mh there?

The mAh rating stated on batteries, whether they are li-ion, ni-mh, ni-cad or SLA, are based on a certain discharge current. That is the optimal capacity given by the manufacturer. Discharge at a lower or higher current, and you usually get lesser total power out of the cell.

In storage, the loss is probably very low. But in a running device, it is not exactly the same. Remember that HPCs are still using power when turned off, although its extremely low.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 8:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2005-08-28 1:29 AM

The mAh rating stated on batteries, whether they are li-ion, ni-mh, ni-cad or SLA, are based on a certain discharge current. That is the optimal capacity given by the manufacturer. Discharge at a lower or higher current, and you usually get lesser total power out of the cell.

In storage, the loss is probably very low. But in a running device, it is not exactly the same. Remember that HPCs are still using power when turned off, although its extremely low.

ok, i didn't know how the rating is calculated.
i thought it's given by discharging it at 1C. but it was only a guess if you're sure i can certainly believe you!

i didn't count suspend time as i was thinking of continuous use of the hpc.
(ok who is able to use their hpc for 40 hours without a break?! )
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 10:51 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-08-27 6:19 PM

Snappy! - 2005-08-28 1:29 AM

ok, i didn't know how the rating is calculated.
i thought it's given by discharging it at 1C. but it was only a guess if you're sure i can certainly believe you!

i didn't count suspend time as i was thinking of continuous use of the hpc.
(ok who is able to use their hpc for 40 hours without a break?! )

hehe ... 40 hours without break!! I think thereafter, that person will look like or ...

AFAIK, C refers to the mAh for that cell being tested/used. So for a 2400mAh cell, its C value is 2400mA or 2.4A. Charging is typically at 1/10C which means 240mA charging ... which would translate to like 10hrs ... modern li-ion chargers, the so-called smart-chargers, do a boost charge with like 1A until it reaches 80% capacity then trickle off with 1/10C or so.

I've seen folks test out cell discharge performance with discharge currents of .5a for 2400mAh cells.

I am quite certain of the above, unless the sites I visited in the past are a sham ...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 11:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes, 1C means discharging the battery a rate equal to its capacity in mAh. so it'll last for around one hour.
i meant that you can test a particular battery at different discharge rates.. and then give the capacity for 1C
but i believe you!
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-28 7:00 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you ask me, I don't need a 28hr battery, I don't have enough use for it!
Anyway....... Here are my extras that I carry. Am I mad or what?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-28 10:27 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok i'll post a pic myself

or two..
first is the ideal situation. when i carry only one hpc and only the necessary accessories (i almost hate accessories) with it.

second is the current situation.. it won't be like this for long though as soon as i get that extended battery for the sig3 it'll be my main hpc. currently it's not.
and i added my lan card with its special cable (and my phone plus its spare batteries) to the mess just to show off (so that everyone can see mine is the greatest mess)

(too bad it's not my own wlan card but the pretec.. and i've lent my second wlan card to someone as well, so it's not the whole thing on my second pic!)

Edited by cmonex 2005-08-28 10:37 AM

(carry11.JPG)

(carry12.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments carry11.JPG (35KB - 25 downloads)
Attachments carry12.JPG (42KB - 26 downloads)
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-28 4:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

HEY!!! I recongise that dongle!! Its on the end of my D-Link Modem/Ethernet PC card!! DME-560CT, is that what you got? In fact, the dongle is identical, except I lost the clips to the ends of mine!

Also, what does the Sig look like when opened? What os? Looks like a nice PC!
I see you have an aged mobile, god!! That must be like, 7 years old. (Then again, I have had my Sharp GX25 for about 2 months! Lovely thing, smaller than that though! Does have a camera and colour screen!).
As for carrying no phone, considered one of these? I don't know if they work with HPCs or allow you to make voice calls. I was close to making my Palm Vx a mobile phone, it'll make a great one too.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=UBIN-GC201

I recongise the SD card, it looks like an identical one to what my Nokia 3650 had, plus it was only 16mb in size!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-28 6:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Wessex_nut - 2005-08-28 10:12 PM

HEY!!! I recongise that dongle!! Its on the end of my D-Link Modem/Ethernet PC card!! DME-560CT, is that what you got? In fact, the dongle is identical, except I lost the clips to the ends of mine!

Also, what does the Sig look like when opened? What os? Looks like a nice PC!
I see you have an aged mobile, god!! That must be like, 7 years old. (Then again, I have had my Sharp GX25 for about 2 months! Lovely thing, smaller than that though! Does have a camera and colour screen!).
As for carrying no phone, considered one of these? I don't know if they work with HPCs or allow you to make voice calls. I was close to making my Palm Vx a mobile phone, it'll make a great one too.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=UBIN-GC201

I recongise the SD card, it looks like an identical one to what my Nokia 3650 had, plus it was only 16mb in size!

no it's not d-link, it's a microcom c.e. combo card (modem/ethernet 10/100). nice to know that cable is identical to mine, i'm afraid my cable is dying

pics about the sig3.. will be on my site soon, ok?
OS is ce.net 4.1. yes it's almost like a minilaptop

the phone is a 2001 model so it's 4 years old. and i certainly don't need a colour camera phone. and no smartphone, too dumb. a real ppc phone would have more chance but i don't have money nor a real need for it.
yeah i was thinking about a gsm/gprs card but i already have bluetooth and gprs cards are so expensive... and besides my hpc isn't always on..

the card is MMC and it's in fact 16 MB! i don't use it but as the CF card (512) and SD card (128 .. need a 512 one!) aren't visible on the pics (they're in my hpcs) i showed this MMC to you all instead..

Edited by cmonex 2005-08-28 6:17 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9