x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

680/90 or others query

Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 12:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I am just wondeirng, since I now messed up my Mobile Pro, or suspected, I would like to have another handheld in the near future to use in conjuction with my Jornada. On the list is a VGA screen handheld (hpc2000+ or a Jornada 680/90 or back to the Mobile Pros (Impressed with them!).
The reason why I consider the 68/90, is that I have a 7xx docking station. If I get a 68/90, I can just simply "plug in" the unit without messing about. The other thing is that I am also ruling out the "e" models (economy) out, due to their lack of built in modem. The modem will be useful in some places (a friends house, who has no ethermet, wireless or even a broadband connection), as well as telephony software, if any exist.

However, with these plans I have to ask. Is it worth the effort or am I better off laying off the idea and just get a 900C when the time exists?
To be honest, I am finding an excellent excuse to stop using my WM2003 iPAQ 3870. That might be hard though!

Your comments?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 1:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hum so you need TWO hpc's?
why?

900C is very nice.. however it is enough if you get a plain 900. an upgrade to ce.net exists.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 4:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This coming from someone who has what... 7?

Wes, I think really it boils down to whether you can find 2.11 and a HVGA to be a functional device for you. If you implicitly need the Adobe readers and the hacking potential then it may not be the beat path, however if you have other things in mind, then it's a great portable device, with lots of character - and these days exceptionally well priced.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 6:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2005-08-25 9:29 PM

Yeah, about that! 4 'modern' PDAs (3 Windows based and a Palm Based) and I think it was 4 older based, I.e. 2 Clamshell and 2 touch based PDA's. The last 4 I don't use now (they are mainly PIM based computers, 2 Casios with kbs of memory, not megs! And 2 texet(?) PDAs), nor the iPAQ. I confess, I am gadget mad.

The MP, if it doesn't work, oh well, finish it, purchase a spare motherboard (I suspect I shocked it), and use that as part of an art piece. (Hey, why not add it to my art portfolio?)

But, I was thinking of something with a full VGA screen, since I am a college student, when HVGA is too small, the screen a little larger and doesn't warrant a full laptop (Like 4 hours is really not long enough! So, something a little lighter. For comparasion, LWA is 3.1kgs with batt and Overloard is 3.6kgs with batt).
I mainly use my laptops for 3D modelling, sometimes, it is not really worth it, so I may look to other things for entertainment on the train/bus. My laptop takes forever to start up or shut down and takes forever to hibernate. I don't use standby, because I fear it wastes too much battery power, plus there is a risk of the computer waking up in my bag and heating itself up. For 4 hour days (no lunchbreak! But I can always use the wireless card within the 10minute breaks we have, plus a few MP3s). I think that would be better. Oh, I wish to use a graphics utility or 2. So, subnotebook looks right. Plus I want to safeguard my 718. This is why I was thinking 680.

Of looking at the larger devices, I find the workpad a bit large, and small. Screensize seems to be a little porthole within a big plastic casing.
The Compaq Aero looks attractive, but SH4 processor is a draw back, especially for photogenetics.
The MP 880 is attractive, touch screen, small package, etc, but MIPS is a worry....
.... and the Jornada 820 looks attractive too, including having that feel of a mini PC.
The USB port seems a good idea. I will be swapping from PC to Mac and back, I also would be using a USB stick to print, to transfer files, etc, which might pose a problem for the H/PC pro devices though. Also, what programs would be recommended? Particulary word processing and DTP (to make the sketchbook colourful). I plan to run most of them from 16 megs of storage memory.

As for idea. Something, rough, rugged and can fit in a backpack without risk of damaging it and light enough to cycle with, travel with, etc. I think hard drive computers are a bit of a problem in this area. I am always worrying about dropping my laptop and loosing 5 years of work. (3D work being the case.)

C:Amie - 2005-08-25 9:29 PM

Wes, I think really it boils down to whether you can find 2.11 and a HVGA to be a functional device for you. If you implicitly need the Adobe readers and the hacking potential then it may not be the beat path, however if you have other things in mind, then it's a great portable device, with lots of character - and these days exceptionally well priced.

Aye! I was looking at the 680, just over £55 from Tiger direct when checked earlier.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-25 6:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-08-25 10:29 PM

true hpc's? only 5 of them...
not true hpc's but same form factor... another 5? oh, no, only 4. 5th is just lent to me
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 12