x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Workpad z50 and DLINK DWL-650 card in windows ce ??

andrekb
andrekb Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 12:39 AM
#
Hi!!!
Just nabbed one of these and so far I have no regrets!! However how in the heck do I get a wireless card to work with this in the native winCe enviornment??? I have heard of the NetBsd options(looking for a real easy walkthru on that if anyone can point me to one-I am a real noob so it has to be easy ) but first want to just have my Dlink DWL 650 card wok(if this is possible) in the stock OS that comes on the z50. has anyone had success with a wireless card? Mine is the revB if that matters. Please point me to the right direction and if this card doesn't work what ones can?? Oh and if there are other good FAQS on this z50 I would be grateful to be told of them.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 7:21 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh.. d-link dwl-650 is probably a 32-bit cardbus. none of those will work,
for a nice list of working cards, visit the hcl on this site. http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl
 Top of the page
mfradin Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 8:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi There!

I own a Z50 workpad, I have tried several wireless cards with it using several drivers.

The card that has worked best for me is the AmbiCom WL1100C-CF using a PCMCIA adapter and the AmbCom drivers that come with it. This card has worked perfectly evertime.

Hope this helps.

mfradin

Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 12:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Your Dlink 650 *might* be 16 bit. How many lights does it have ? If there are two then it's likely a 32 bit cardbus that won't work. If only 1 light, perhaps it's the last of the prism based 16 bit cards amd you stand a slim chance.

Google for and download the prism reference drivers. Someone may have a link for you, since this site in on download restrictions.

Did your card com from Tigerdirect, the $9US special? I oredered one also because the ad TD said it had 1 light, therefor likely a prism card.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 3:34 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have a D-Link G650+ (I also had a G650 too) (might be different, but still a 650) and mine is defiently a 32-bit Card bus card and that means that it WILL NOT WORK with CE at all. CE needs 16bit cards. 802.11a/b only applies in this category, 802.11g will not. Unless you can find a 16-bit 802.11g card.

For alternitives, try ebaying for a Orinoco Classic wireless card (I have one and it came with my Jornada!) and another good one is the Compaq WC111 IIRC.
Oh, check the specs too! Otherwise you WILL have problems. (as long as it runs off a 16-bit bus, not 32-bit or Cardbus and the voltage doesn't matter.)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 4:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-08-27 6:01 PM

Your Dlink 650 *might* be 16 bit. How many lights does it have ? If there are two then it's likely a 32 bit cardbus that won't work. If only 1 light, perhaps it's the last of the prism based 16 bit cards amd you stand a slim chance.

Google for and download the prism reference drivers. Someone may have a link for you, since this site in on download restrictions.

you can differentiate between 16 and 32 bit cards more easily: does it have a golden strip next to the connector? if it does it is a 32 bit card.. if not then it is 16 bit
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 5:15 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2005-08-27 9:39 PM

you can differentiate between 16 and 32 bit cards more easily: does it have a golden strip next to the connector? if it does it is a 32 bit card.. if not then it is 16 bit

Cmonex, I noticed this too, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a 32-bit card. I had a HP SCSI CD Writer that the PDA's detected, because it used a SCSI PC card. The thing is that the SCSI card is "switched". Basically it runs off both, 16/32-bit.

Besides, what is the point of the copper strip?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-27 7:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Wessex_nut - 2005-08-27 11:15 PM

Cmonex, I noticed this too, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a 32-bit card. I had a HP SCSI CD Writer that the PDA's detected, because it used a SCSI PC card. The thing is that the SCSI card is "switched". Basically it runs off both, 16/32-bit.

Besides, what is the point of the copper strip?

hm that's a very rare exception usually cards are either 16 or 32 bit imo.

the point of it.. i can't remember now but it actually has some use!
 Top of the page
andrekb
andrekb Page Icon Posted 2005-08-28 3:05 PM
#
WOW!!

Thanks for all the advice!! I am sooooo glad I found this site and you guys! Now if I understand it I need a 16bit for the workpad right? Now does this also apply to the sharp mobilon(4500) too? And I found some info on using the dwl-650 with the netbsd install(I really need a clear to understand walkthru on doing that ) so if I have the netbsd installed I can use a 32bit card???? I have a IBM 1gig microdrive that I bought for using with the workpad but again I am having issues with finding a clear -to -understand stepbystep way of doing it. SO if you guys can elaborate a bit on that I would really appreciate it
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-28 6:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

andrekb - 2005-08-28 9:05 PM

Thanks for all the advice!! I am sooooo glad I found this site and you guys! Now if I understand it I need a 16bit for the workpad right? Now does this also apply to the sharp mobilon(4500) too?

it applies to every HPC device
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-29 1:56 AM
#
H/PC Elder

AFAIK, your microdrive should work in any ce 2.0 and beyond device, but like cmonex said, you need 16 bit wifi cards regardless of the OS. It's a 16 bit slot in the hpc and the OS can't change that.

I favour netgear MA401 and belkin f5d6020 (first version) and Linksys wpc11 v3 or prior cards.
Why? Cheap, readily available, reliable, mix n match drivers, reasonable power draw.

Anyone steering you into a Cisco 350 needs their noggin examined. That card draws 600ma, or MORE than the draw of many hpcs. Orinoco are somewhat of a crapshoot. Same card from different makers, some good, some crappy. Many ebayers couldn't be bothered researching who made the card they're flogging for $20.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10